Warranty Direct?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jryans10

Car
Mercedes-Benz A140
Hi folks,

I've just purchased a 2000 Mercedes-Benz A140 (at 80,000 miles) about 2 weeks ago and it came with a 1 months warranty and already the clutch needs replacement.

I got a quote from Warranty Direct for their highest cover for £37 / month which I think is quite good, just wondering, shall I go for this?

I don't really have loads of money to spend on repairs or MOT failures and I already have a full service history and MOT until December so now really would be an ideal time to take out warranty. Especially with the car being at 80,000 miles.

Thanks!

Hi folks,

I've just purchased a 2000 Mercedes-Benz A140 (at 80,000 miles) about 2 weeks ago and it came with a 1 months warranty and already the clutch needs replacement.

I got a quote from Warranty Direct for their highest cover for £37 / month which I think is quite good, just wondering, shall I go for this?

I don't really have loads of money to spend on repairs or MOT failures and I already have a full service history and MOT until December so now really would be an ideal time to take out warranty. Especially with the car being at 80,000 miles.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I don't think clutches will be covered (same as brake pads) however even if it is, I think you'll find there's a moratorium period of three months, so a claim for anything that goes wrong in this time will be "resisted"

A warranty is just an insurance policy. Great if you claim but a waste of money if you don't. What price for peace of mind. I have a WD policy. Have claimed twice now. Easy to deal with and paid out no problems. Over 3 years I have paid in £1200 claims £1800. So I am biased and rate the policy as good value.

Was this their first quote. Express interest but ask them to do you a better deal. They often come up with a better price if you play hard to get.

Don't think clutch will be covered , being a 'wear and tear' item ...

A warranty is just an insurance policy. Great if you claim but a waste of money if you don't. What price for peace of mind. I have a WD policy. Have claimed twice now. Easy to deal with and paid out no problems. Over 3 years I have paid in £1200 claims £1800. So I am biased and rate the policy as good value.

You and me both - it's expensive for sure, but I reckon that over the last four years (two cars) every £100 paid on premium has converted to £300 on repairs, so absolutely good value :thumb:

Clutch change could be expensive on an A Class?

Hi folks,

Basically my A class is still covered by the warranty from the dealership who are sorting out the clutch problem. But as it's at 82,000 miles I was just wondering if it would be wise to take out warranty for it? My main importance for the warranty is to cover MOT failure costs and wear n tear.

It's a 2,000 Mercedes A140 1.4 Manual Classic so it is getting on a bit as well as just having a fairly high mileage.

I already have full service history anyway most of them from Merc dealerships and a couple from an independent garage.

Thanks.

I would not bother with a warranty on your car. Wear and tear stuff is not offten covered by warranty companies.

Just save a few quid each month for repairs and servicing.

Warranty Direct cover failure due to wear and tear after 90 days. They don't cover service items I.e. Brake pads, discs etc. Not sure where a clutch fits in so would have to check policy docs. But as yours is being repaired it's a spurious discussion. Once car is over 60k miles you have to pay a % towards parts to cover betterment. At 80k miles that's a 30% contribution. All labour is covered. They even paid for oil on my car which Mercedes wouldn't cover. This was covered as the car is over 1000 miles away from it's next service. You have choice of network labour rates or main dealer. Obviously the latter is more expensive. Don't accept first offer. Each year on renewal I call up to cancel and get the renewal reduced.
As with all insurance plans read all the exclusions etc.

I've just purchased a 2000 Mercedes-Benz A140

I think the snag with a 2000 car is WD have different policies depending on the age of the car and the cover available would be extremely limited.

I've got WD cover on my car, which I renewed only last week. I found they worked very hard to get me to sign up the first year. I haven't made any claims and have done much less miles than I expected but the renewal had jumped up £100 - they did quickly agree to renew for the same price as last year but firmly said "no" to my pleading for further reductions and didn't budge even when I suggested cancelling the auto-renewal.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Just to let you know, the £37 / month cover is for the following (taken from the email sent to me after phone call):

Vehicle

MERCEDES-BENZ A 140 CLASSIC

Cover

You are eligible for our Secure Care level of cover, our highest level and I have attached our policy booklet so you can view exactly what we cover. In addition, Warranty Direct cover you for Wear and Tear claims on your vehicle meaning that if part has failed because it has “worn down” then we still cover the claim, this may sound straight forward but beware of some companies offering cover only against “Immediate sudden failure”. If wear and tear isn’t covered, almost any claim can be turned down as a result and wear and tear claims account for a large percentage of our work.

In addition, we cover problems found in your MOT or annual service which is a massive factor and we also cover consequential damage (damage caused by uninsured parts). If you don’t have these four areas covered on your policy then the warranty has a readymade get out clause.

Sounds good .... so they'll stump up for tyres , brake pads and clutches ?

You can run the car for free pretty much. :D

As already pointed out the wear and tear does not cover brake pad, discs, tyres etc so read up on exactly what is covered.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Just to let you know, the £37 / month cover is for the following (taken from the email sent to me after phone call):

Vehicle

MERCEDES-BENZ A 140 CLASSIC

Cover

You are eligible for our Secure Care level of cover, our highest level and I have attached our policy booklet so you can view exactly what we cover. In addition, Warranty Direct cover you for Wear and Tear claims on your vehicle meaning that if part has failed because it has “worn down” then we still cover the claim, this may sound straight forward but beware of some companies offering cover only against “Immediate sudden failure”. If wear and tear isn’t covered, almost any claim can be turned down as a result and wear and tear claims account for a large percentage of our work.

In addition, we cover problems found in your MOT or annual service which is a massive factor and we also cover consequential damage (damage caused by uninsured parts). If you don’t have these four areas covered on your policy then the warranty has a readymade get out clause.

We recently tried to make a claim on our used car warranty.

My wife's car failed it's MOT due to hand brake efficiency. Needed rear drums, cylinders and shoes.

Them : "Sorry, Mr Customer, we don't cover that. Read your policy book."
Me "I did - it says that you do."
Them : "Tough luck, would you like to renew your cover?"
Me : "No thanks"

I'm sure people have some good experiences. I didn't.

I'd do as suggested and save the £37 a month and put it towards maintenance and servicing.

Last edited:
We recently tried to make a claim on our used car warranty.

My wife's car failed it's MOT due to hand brake efficiency. Needed rear drums, cylinders and shoes.

Them : "Sorry, Mr Customer, we don't cover that. Read your policy book."
Me "I did - it says that you do."
Them : "Tough luck, would you like to renew your cover?"
Me : "No thanks"

I'm sure people have some good experiences. I didn't.

I'd do as suggested and save the £37 a month and put it towards maintenance and servicing.

Brakes are a "service item". Surely you didn't expect them to be covered? Your car could fail the MOT if the tyres are bald - would you expect the warranty company to cover them too?

Being as pedantic as I am, I've never quite got this 'wear & tear'.

By it's nature, there will be 'wear & tear' on every single component on every single car on the road.

Shouldn't it be 'variable wear & tear'? Meaning that certain items that are prone to driver tendencies aren't covered?

Wear and tear is covered by warranty direct - but not for serviceable items such as brakes and tyres etc. So if your dampers go - worn out - they are covered.
BUT....and this is the important thing....WD expect you to pay for betterment.
If your car has done less than 60k they will pay 100% of the parts and labour. Once over 60k your contribution is 10% for each 10k miles for the parts. ALL Labour is covered. This is unto the car hits 100k then its 50% for parts plus all labour.
Warranty Direct :: The UK's leading car warranty & household warranty supplier. Providing used car warranties, new car warranties, and household protection for your TV, washing machine and other products.

I am pleased I have this on my Mercedes as it has saved me both money and peace of mind. BUT I don't have it on my wife's Honda and that has a good decision.
So it's a case you spends your money you makes your choice..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom