Warranty Direct

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
One last question tonight!!

Does anyone know if Warranty Direct are any good? My 3 year warranty expired this month! Ugh!!!

from my experience they are useless. had one on a discovery and they wriggled out of every problem it had, and believe me there were lots of problems! sorry its not what you want to hear.

I took one out a few months back after my MB one run out, Merc rated them & so do many more.

Does anyone know if Warranty Direct are any good? My 3 year warranty expired this month! Ugh!!!

Don't accept the first quote, I got them down to £260 from £440,
they will keep phoning & reducing the price if you say you will think about it.

Russ

Good Luck

I was with Warranty Direct and put in a claim. Got nothing as the problem wasn't covered by my policy :mad:. Check my earlier posts. Don't waste your money on them. Search for a proper company.

I would have extended with MB, but the amount needed to do this was crazy!! Anyone got any recommendations?

Tesco warranty seems well regarded. I had a look at the inclusions/exclusions, and to be fair it looked good, and priced well.

Worth remembering that if you have a full MB service history there is 'goodwill' cover in the fourth year. From cases I've seen this appears to be quite generous and in some cases they have paid 80% of the repair costs.

An avenue that may be worth exploring, did you have any "issues" with your car during its three year warranty period? If so and if there is a worry on your part that something similar may crop up at a later point in time then It might be worth having a chat with your dealer about a discounted tier 1 price.

Exactly the above happened to me with my SLK and I simply asked for an extra years warranty and that is exactly what I got, although FOC in my case.

Got to be worth a try?

Cheers.
Portzy.

Interesting to see the adverse commnets. Warranty Direct generally get good write-ups, and are heavily recommended by Honest John as one of the fairer and better products on the market. I've had a WD wrranty on a secondhand car but unfortunately :)rolleyes:) am unable to vouch for them as we never needed to make a claim

Put a £1000 to £1500 a year in an account and use that.

Seems if there is a tiny way they can get out of claims they will. Also make sure if you want to use MB delears you pay the top up to use their labour rates.

I went with WD - as said earlier - say no and they come back with a cheaper price....I am paying £39.22 a month for 10 months - for 13 months cover..mileage 30,000 - all wear and tear included (except for serviceable items of course) and to include the Comand system.....just hope not to use them.....

Covered for full Mercedes dealers labour- but bear in mind that there is a £50 excess per claim and once you exceed 60k miles they pay for 90% parts - 70k miles 80% parts...what I wanted is some peace of mind for catastrophic cover incase MB wouldn't play game with "goodwill".

Looking at their attitude to service plus I wouldn't want to rely on goodwill...

Portzy

Thanks for that idea. I've not (thankfully!) had any previous issues with the car, but I might see if my local dealer will negotiate..

By the way, I see from your signature image that you may be a Life on Mars fan! Me too! Best program ever! I've probably watched the entire series 4 times now and still find new stuff to enjoy! :)

Put a £1000 to £1500 a year in an account and use that.

I had thought about that, but a few bad experiences I had with my previous '03 CLK cost me dear, so I'm thinking warranty protection (peace of mind?) might be better this time round..

I have a warranty direct policy and have used them three times:

1) Auto gearbox controller failure - apart from confusion about the fact that it was the controller and not the gearbox ecu, money was paid - they initially refused to pay saying that the gearbox ecu was not covered.

2) Waterpump and rad replaced - they refused to pay for the rad because they only pay for a leaking rad and not a blocked rad. - also argument regarding the two hours diagnosis - I wrote to the MD and got that paid.

3) Propshaft coupling - paid.

4) Heater regulator failed - not covered but motor is covered

All in all these repairs have cost more than the total payments made - the repairs have totaled approx £2000 (Done at main dealer)

The advice I give is read the smallprint carefully and check exactly what you are covered for.

Note: if you are using the main dealer, you have to pay in full and then reclaim the money from them.

Last edited:
Interesting to see the adverse commnets. Warranty Direct generally get good write-ups, and are heavily recommended by Honest John as one of the fairer and better products on the market. I've had a WD wrranty on a secondhand car but unfortunately :)rolleyes:) am unable to vouch for them as we never needed to make a claim
It was the Honest John recomendation that got me thinking about Warranty Direct, but now I'm not so sure...hmmm...what to do???

Portzy

Thanks for that idea. I've not (thankfully!) had any previous issues with the car, but I might see if my local dealer will negotiate..

By the way, I see from your signature image that you may be a Life on Mars fan! Me too! Best program ever! I've probably watched the entire series 4 times now and still find new stuff to enjoy! :)

No harm in asking, which is all I did and they didnt flinch.

Yep, Life on Mars was one of the best programmes I have ever seen and I'm not a particularly big TV fan really but I caught every episode, and the re-runs on Freeview. Course, the 70's were my era, The Sweeny and all that which reminds me, I've not had my dinner either!

Portzy.

No harm in asking, which is all I did and they didnt flinch.

Yep, Life on Mars was one of the best programmes I have ever seen and I'm not a particularly big TV fan really but I caught every episode, and the re-runs on Freeview. Course, the 70's were my era, The Sweeny and all that which reminds me, I've not had my dinner either!

Portzy.
I'm with you!! I found it sooo nostalgic and remarkably accurate, despite one or two cars not quite correct lol! Not so keen on Ashes to Ashes though.....maybe I just didn't like the 80s as much! I wish they'd do a series back to the early 60s! Even more nostalgia then! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom