Warranty Direct

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dieseldonicel1

Car
Avantgarde CLK 430 Auto Cab 2001 'Y' and BMW 525 TDS 1997 'R'
Hi all,

Having just purchased a speced up CLK 430 Cabriloet Avantgarde in Black Metallic on a 'Y' plate and a first time MB owner and wanting to prevent any unexpected mechanical/electrical bills I've eagerly read the numerous posts on here regarding the various merits between Warranty Direct/Warranty Wise/Mercedes Benz Tier 1. Thank you to everyone who posted as I found the posts really helpful.

I thought I'd share my experience with the forum. Firstly I went to MB who quoted me £1097 for one years cover with no chance of negotionation despite the car having only covered 57k and with a full MB servicing for all it's life. I then checked out Warranty Wise because of the posts about their wear and tear cover from day one but they came in at £1,200 per year with Cat and Command System being covered. I then approached Warranty Direct and was quoted £657 for the Secure Care option. So taking the advice of one of the forum members I rang them up and after some lengthy discussions and friendly haggling I got them to move me to the Luxury Care option which covers everything and clearly lists what's excluded. I then got them to agree to specifically cover the Catalytic Converter and Command System all of which are not covered by even this premier warranty. So what did I pay you're all asking? I paid £960 for a 2 year policy with immediate wear and tear protection.

I'd be interested to hear the comments of the forum as to whether I've done well or been sold a pup. I do apparently have 28 days to cancel!

I've attached below a couple of URL's for those of you who want to check out what's covered by each of their policies.

Summary of Cover
Warranty Direct :: The UK's leading car warranty & household warranty supplier. Providing used car warranties, new car warranties, and household protection for your TV, washing machine and other products.

Individual Policy Details
Warranty Direct :: The UK's leading car warranty & household warranty supplier. Providing used car warranties, new car warranties, and household protection for your TV, washing machine and other products.

regards
Rob

Warranty direct are nightmare payers. I have had to wait 3 months for them to settle a claim.

Thanks for the information.
I've not read your links but on the face of it you seem to have a good deal.
Like all these warranties, you only know how good it is when you have to claim.
Fingers crossed it all works out well. :)

A 430 cab. should be pretty reliable IMO. I agree that with an unknown car a warranty gives good peace of mind though, till you've owned it a while and get confident about the quality.

Hate to say it but the most likely issue is going to be rust I think.

Warranty direct are nightmare payers. I have had to wait 3 months for them to settle a claim.

And my experience is the exact opposite to Olly`s.
WD paid up within days even with me submitting evidence of servicing on a Spanish invoice!

Regards

John

WD paid up within days even with me submitting evidence of servicing on a Spanish invoice!

Regards

John

Same for me - approved repair in 48 hrs - no inspection, paid up within a fortnight. No hassle.....but I did have the MB dealer firmly on my side pushing them....even paid for a worn out glowplug which the dealer said MB's warranty would NOT have covered.

Anybody tried black horse warranty? One came with my c32 but haven't had to use it yet. Just wondered what they would be like if I had to?

Regards

John

Mine too, although that was over 4 years ago. Took the top level of cover like yourself on our W203 C320. If I recall correctly I had about £1100 worth of work done under warranty about a month before the warranty expired.

Paid up, direct to my Merc dealer without any trouble :bannana:

Same for me - approved repair in 48 hrs - no inspection, paid up within a fortnight. No hassle.....but I did have the MB dealer firmly on my side pushing them....even paid for a worn out glowplug which the dealer said MB's warranty would NOT have covered.

Did the dealer make you pay and then you claimed the money back?

I think BlackC55 is talking about where he is getting payment directly from WD and he doesn't make the customer pay up-front.

Did the dealer make you pay and then you claimed the money back?

I think BlackC55 is talking about where he is getting payment directly from WD and he doesn't make the customer pay up-front.

Yes - WD didn't have an account with the dealer - they prefer you use their garages - but my policy if for main dealer labour rates.

Yes - WD didn't have an account with the dealer - they prefer you use their garages - but my policy if for main dealer labour rates.

Ahh, yes I remember that caused a bit of an issue but my Merc dealer created an account for them, that delayed getting my car booked in but all the work was pre-approved.

Ahh, yes I remember that caused a bit of an issue but my Merc dealer created an account for them, that delayed getting my car booked in but all the work was pre-approved.

My work was pre-approved - but wasn't bothered about the paying - got the cheque before the cc bill arrived. Also get cash back on my CC :thumb:

I had a quote from Warranty Direct which sounded reasonable. I was planning to take out a policy with them when my exising warranty expired. Unfortunately they kept hassling me by email and phone for weeks. The callers we actually quite agressive in the way they spoke to me and wouldn't belive that I wasn't ready to buy. As I was getting round to sorting the warranty, they rang again and pi55ed me off big time, so I went on line and took out a policy with Tescos. It has the same level of cover and was cheaper, and I did it all on line using my Tesco credit card(so Tesco points as well!). Most satisfying of all though was the pleasure i got from telling the Warranty Direct guy what I'd done and why I'd done it when they rang to hassle me again. Haven't heard from them since.

Every little helps !!!!

I had a quote from Warranty Direct which sounded reasonable. I was planning to take out a policy with them when my exising warranty expired. Unfortunately they kept hassling me by email and phone for weeks. The callers we actually quite agressive in the way they spoke to me and wouldn't belive that I wasn't ready to buy. As I was getting round to sorting the warranty, they rang again and pi55ed me off big time, so I went on line and took out a policy with Tescos. It has the same level of cover and was cheaper, and I did it all on line using my Tesco credit card(so Tesco points as well!). Most satisfying of all though was the pleasure i got from telling the Warranty Direct guy what I'd done and why I'd done it when they rang to hassle me again. Haven't heard from them since.

:thumb:I took mine out with Tesco,after weighing up the pro's and cons - obviously you do not know how good they will be until you test the system,but other peoples responses,seemed positive - obviously the guy from WD,has his (lost) commission to think about,hence the aggressive attitude - makes you think what their response to claims will be like ?

I went with Warranty Direct, got everything covered including Command and MB rates. Cost £480.00 for a year on CLK329 (W209).
Had a claim after 3 months for radiator and torque converter, didnt seem to be a problem, just a few phone calls making sure I had all the relevant paperwork, etc.

:thumb:I took mine out with Tesco,after weighing up the pro's and cons - obviously you do not know how good they will be until you test the system,but other peoples responses,seemed positive - obviously the guy from WD,has his (lost) commission to think about,hence the aggressive attitude - makes you think what their response to claims will be like ?

I'd happily pay more for the satisfaction of someone missing out on their commission if they've been rude to me and wound me up - its one of the basics of customer service. I'm not a nasty person by nature, but dont intend being pushed into something. I'll be interested to see if they get back in touch again next year.

Warranty Dilema

After a lot of research,I went with Tesco's 'finest' warranty option - might be worth checking out.
Thanks to everyone for their comment about Warranty Direct and Tesco's. I did check out the tesco option before going to Warranty Direct but they have a maximum engine size of 3200cc that they cover......mines 4300cc so a bit of hobsons choice.

I'll keep the forum posted of any experince good or bad that I have with Warranty Direct. As for my biggest concern on a car on a 2001 plate......not a sign anywhere as yet and I have checked it very carefully. Any steers on likely areas to keep an eye on?

Rob

I had a CLK 430 Cab V Reg and had warranty with RAC Mercedes Gold Warranty, they gave monthly payments, covered everything and only 4 weeks after taking it out they paid in full for a new gearbox to be fitted by Mercedes main dealer......They were better than using MB themselves!! I also had a Porsche Boxter however with WD warranty and had a problem with brake master cylinder (common issue with them) and they strung me out for 6 months until in the end i just couldnt bothered and gave up!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom