Warranty - Goodwill Rust Repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ekko Star

My CLK got approved to get the boot lock and the 4 arches repaired. I'm using Stevenage Mercedes who use Hilton Coachworks. Anybody had experience of them ? Any good ?

They'll put on two new front wings, sand blast the rear panels and sort the boot lock out as well.

Thing is I also have a stone chip that is rusting on the drivers door and two on the roof. I've asked them to repair them while at it. I figured might as well get it all done at the same time. They said they wouldn't be prepared to simply treat the chip areas and they would have to do the whole panels properly.

The body shop has quoted me £650 + VAT to do the whole door, the whole roof and the bonnet. If it is having two new wings on it then it may be best to do the bonnet as well.

Does £650 sound reasonable ? In effect it's more than 3/4 of the car being done here but I was hoping I could have had the chips fixed for much less.

Any thoughts please ?

No response from anyone ?

Well car's gone in, been a week now and was quoted at least 10 days. They keep telling me it'll come out looking lovely.....hope so :confused:

Should look good. £650 is cheap for that much paintwork.

the thing is the work will be gauranteed?? - for 2 years?? so thats a plus

dont know if its good value and dont know the company but for 650 quid your getting lot of the car done by the MB approved professionals - gives piece of mind - another plus

I agree with Dieselman. Had a similar good will job done on my e320cdi in 2007, and paid nearly £700 for some extras at same time. Mine still looks fantastic, can't bear to part company with it now.

OK, I just hope they haven't just touched up the chips and left it at that.

He did say they would do a proper job and take off windscreens and do everything properly on the seals as well. As you know what they say and what they do can be two different things. They wanted more, £900, but I said my budget was £600 and we agreed on £650 +VAT.

Last edited:
Been in there for two weeks, they reckon it'll be at least another week.

Didn't realise it took so long ?

Been in there for two weeks, they reckon it'll be at least another week.

Didn't realise it took so long ?

Mine too 3-4 weeks.
2 new wings, new tailgate, 3no ornamental arches and a few minor repairs (charged £200ish) Looks spot on now though.:D

Male sure they line the wings with the protective plastic under-covers.
They didn't do that on mine and I have to go back and get that sorted:eek:

Paul.

I paid £500 extra to have the bonnet resprayed at the same time as the rust repairs (Dec 2007) , it started to rust within a year as the work was shoddy so went back and was redone Nov 2008 along with the rear boot lock area , again they did a poor job and the rust is returning so i will need to sport it myself

£650 is cheap for the extras, I asked for my both bumpers to be done when my E55 went in and got charged £450 and they already had the front bumper off to change the wings!

Been 3 weeks now. Looks like it's going to be 4 at least.

Wow, this is a long job ?

We're now in the 5th week :(

They told me it was arriving at the dealership last friday....still hasn't happened.

What is going on ?

Could well be some sparring with MB over your car, the work wouldn't take that long so why not ask the bodyshop direct.

My car went in for a similar repair. Went in May, got it back August (2007). I just kept ringing the bodyshop direct. There were all sorts of delays, agreeing every step of the repair with MB via emailed photo's, MB inspector even came to Leeds from London to view it. Why not go along and view progress yourself? I did, the guy who looked after my repair showed me around, I was amazed at how many newish mercs were in there having major surgery. It Took ages, but worth it in the end.

Andy

It comes back tomorrow. Spoke to the bodyshop and he said it had gone well. Apparently where they had to treat it, takes time.

Not sure I believe that after 5 weeks but as long as they have done the job to perfecto standards I'll be happy.

Ok got it back today. Looks ok. They had sprayed it with water before they brought it round to me which made me a bit suspicious at first. The shades didn't look out though and it looks pretty nice.

Will inspect more closely at the weekend in the daytime.

The total bill for the work and parts used was over £3k. I paid £747.50 for my share. 2 year warranty on the work.

Sounds good. Now get some waxoil on it!!

Andy

What's waxoil ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom