Warranty on Batteries for Electric Models

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l5foye

Car
ML 300CDI
I was looking at the warranties that Mercedes have for their batteries in electric vehicles. I see they range from 6 years/62000 miles for a B Class ; 8 years/100000 miles (from memory) for the EQC, EQV & EQA; and 10 years/100000 miles for EQS. For an allegedly premium brand, these warranties are to my mind quite poor. My friend's humble Hybrid Yaris battery has a 15 year warranty. There needs to be a customer revolt to get Mercedes to improve things. If people accept things as they are, Mercedes will see no need to change anything.

The 62000 miles warranty is a bit of a joke.....in this country it takes about 60,000 mile of driving an EV to break even with the carbon output of an ICE car (due to EV producing more carbon to make and less than 50 percent of our electricity being from renewables in the UK)....if you needed a new battery at 62000 miles it will take rather longer! The whole EV thing is BS....well at least until they can be made more efficiently (less carbon) or until we are close to 100 percent renewable power.....like Norway.

I would imagine that most new EV`s will be on some form of 36m lease / PCP deal so the battery life span and warranty will be of no interest to the initial purchaser , fast forward 5+ years and it will be a major consideration for the 2nd or 3rd owner.

K

I posted it before....but a friend recently scrapped his early Renault Zoe that needed a new battery......over £5000 for the battery....on a car worth about the same.....Disposable cars!..very green and environmentally friendly!

I posted it before....but a friend recently scrapped his early Renault Zoe that needed a new battery......over £5000 for the battery....on a car worth about the same.....Disposable cars!..very green and environmentally friendly!
I doubt it was worth even half that. When my Zoe reached end of term (and bearing in mind this is 4 years ago), it had a GFV of a little over £4k and Renault were contacting owners - myself included - and offering them for even less than that. ISTR £3100 was the figure mentioned.

The problem with EV batteries is defining failure. Unlike an ice car's engine which goes pop due to mechanical failure EV batteries rarely fail completely--- they tend to lose range capacity----you would have to examine the small print in any EV battery warranty to find out what constitutes "failure" in terms of what qualifies for replacement??
In terms of manufacturers who currently offer the best deals on EV vehicles as a general rule of thumb the Koreans seem the best bet at present

Last edited:
Id rather walk!

The problem with EV batteries is defining failure. Unlike an ice car's engine which goes pop due to mechanical failure EV batteries rarely fail completely--- they tend to lose range capacity----you would have to examine the small print in any EV battery warranty to find out what constitutes "failure" in terms of what qualifies for replacement??
In terms of manufacturers who currently offer the best deals on EV vehicles as a general rule of thumb the Koreans seem the best bet at present
Lexus offer the below on EV, is that better than "the Koreans"?

"In addition to our standard 3 year / 60,000 mile manufacturer warranty for the vehicle, we offer a standard 8 year/ 100,000 mile warranty (whichever comes first) on the electric battery. This is extendable to 10 years (or 600,000 miles, whichever comes first) with the Battery Health Check included in each service."

Lexus offer the below on EV, is that better than "the Koreans"?

"In addition to our standard 3 year / 60,000 mile manufacturer warranty for the vehicle, we offer a standard 8 year/ 100,000 mile warranty (whichever comes first) on the electric battery. This is extendable to 10 years (or 600,000 miles, whichever comes first) with the Battery Health Check included in each service."
their hybrid battery[ smaller capacity] failure seems defined to be a drop below 80%- couldn't find the pure EV figure

For me the switch to EV was more about the cost saving (fuel duty, congestion charges, VED.. 🤮) but after making the switch I’d never go back to smelly diesel as my main car again 😆

Lexus-UX-300e-cutaway.jpg

Lexus UX 300e gets 10-year battery warranty ---- <70 % defined as failure

How does that compare with the Koreans?
Don't know but I bet the Koreans are better than the Europeans for EV battery warranties across the bulk of their model ranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom