Warranty question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You are now getting me worried :oops: as my 8 year old AMG has a T1 MB Warranty that finishes in February. As a result of this thread I am now starting to put £10 pm aside as the car has already done 25500 miles:rolleyes: however I will increase this to £20 pm next March.

Think yourself lucky. My 64 plate E63 biturbo is £2650 a year!

Quoting myself here, but the figure above was 3 months and 300 miles ago.
Just got a new quote.

£2875 for 1 year. Mercedes are having a laugh:wallbash:

Quoting myself here, but the figure above was 3 months and 300 miles ago.
Just got a new quote.

£2875 for 1 year. Mercedes are having a laugh:wallbash:
'kin ell ... mine is £495 for a tier 1 MB extended on 4.7 Bi Turbo Cab with all the toy s... Distronic etc. An AMG can't be that much more of a risk to MB?

Mercedes don’t really want to sell warranties. They would rather owners with cars around 3 years old - and who are concerned about unexpected repair bills - to buy a new car, rather than an insurance product.

The warranties are a financial product and are probably sold by MB Finance. How bad MB wants to sell them will be reflected in how they incentive the dealerships to sell them. If they don't push warranty sale and rely only on inbound traffic to their website then you may well be right.

'kin ell ... mine is £495 for a tier 1 MB extended on 4.7 Bi Turbo Cab with all the toy s... Distronic etc. An AMG can't be that much more of a risk to MB?

Strangely, for my car (2013 C180 with 50,000 miles) I get the following:

'Unfortunately we are unable to offer a product for this vehicle.'

So I typed-in the VRM of another car I know of and that has similar spec to mine and the quote came back as £670 per year.

It certainly doesn't fill you with confidence.........I will pay for one years warranty and decide what to do next November, If I decide to sell it would be a strong selling point with the remainder of a warranty on the vehicle

I have a 2017 C200 and warranty ran out two weeks ago. MB just rang me offering extended warranty for 12 months at £ 43 a month with zero excess
I've heard other owners talk about "Tier 1" warrantys but what constitutes a Tier 1 warranty package as MB made no reference to this term

Tier 1, 2 and 3 warranty cover no longer exist. There's now just one cover, and that's virtually as the old Tier 1.
A quick call to them will answer any questions you may have, if you cant find the answer on their online policy document.

Tier 1, 2 and 3 warranty cover no longer exist. There's now just one cover, and that's virtually as the old Tier 1.
A quick call to them will answer any questions you may have, if you cant find the answer on their online policy document.
since when? mine started aril 2019 and is tier 1. and even then doesnt cover hoses, seals, gaskets ect.

As a non AMG owner, I am staggered

I was happy when at the service and MOT last week, Cole saved me £40 by tapping clean the air filter that had had only a measley 2.5k of fresh air in it, and not replacing it

Your bills are eye watering
It's the AMG (and main dealer) way I suppose......

Well guys I did purchase an extended warranty, total cosy £1699 for the next year, I pondered on it for a couple of weeks, as it was a lot of dosh.....but decided it could be more dosh if something happened, anyway I'm covered fully so no sleepless nights worrying

Has any one ever looked at other 3rd party warranty companies?

You are using one anyway with MB.

Coming from the Land Rover world the Warranty Direct policy gave better cover than the one promoted by LR.

Mercedes don’t really want to sell warranties. They would rather owners with cars around 3 years old - and who are concerned about unexpected repair bills - to buy a new car, rather than an insurance product.
Hi Bobby
Do main dealers make their money out of car sales, or from the servicing of motor vehicles?

I have stuck religiously to having our car serviced by Mercedes but when it comes to the replacing of consumable parts, including tyres.... I go elsewhere.

More generalised question
Thinking as I am typing, what about third party warranty companies. How do their prices compare and yes, I accept there are both good and bad warranty outlets

Ooops, noticed Jim has asked a similar question, must be the South Devon air :)

The reason I asked is because with the 3 litre LR diesel engine it is fairly common for the crankshaft to fail and has been reported on BBC Watchdog.

That is not covered by the LR badged extended warranty but is covered by Warranty Direct.

I am too new to the MB world to know if there are similar common problems that need the cover checking before buying an extended warranty.

P.S. I think it is the Devon rain not air!

I have heard some good things about WD, especially covering the crankshaft issues on the RRS V6, it's appalling that LR are well aware of this issue but do not cover it with there used car warranty, I wonder how they would wriggle out of it at court, I don't think they would to be honest with you....
I just wanted a bullet proof warranty that is bumper to bumper, with no excess, also if I do need to make a claim, I shouldn't have to get in touch with a third party warranty company to get the go ahead on any repairs

As long as you understand you are also dealing with a third party who will decide if your claim is valid or not?

I've just continued the one Mercedes supplied with the car.....it's got to be the best of a bad bunch.......we all know some warranties aren't worth the paper there written on

Hi Bobby
Do main dealers make their money out of car sales, or from the servicing of motor vehicles?

I have stuck religiously to having our car serviced by Mercedes but when it comes to the replacing of consumable parts, including tyres.... I go elsewhere.

More generalised question
Thinking as I am typing, what about third party warranty companies. How do their prices compare and yes, I accept there are both good and bad warranty outlets

Ooops, noticed Jim has asked a similar question, must be the South Devon air :)
They make money from both car sales and from servicing. Margins are small on new car sales however main dealers top this up with the bonuses offered by manufacturers as an incentive to hit targets, however the real profit comes from the finance & insurance products linked to the sale.

The margins on finance & insurance products are significant, and the salesperson’s commission is also significant on those items too. A cash buyer who says no to all “extras” is bad news for a car salesperson, unless they need to hit a they and they’re keen to get the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom