Warranty upheld - but what happens to the alloys ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

travelininstyle

Car
C-Class Sports Coupe AMG 220 Cdi
I have recently had a warranty claim for one of my alloy wheels approved by MB.There was some pitting and blistering to one of the alloys,but the rest were fine,so in it goes in two days time to be replaced,but I just wondered what will happen to the faulty alloy ? - is it MB's,the customers,or the dealership,whom carry out the work's property - who claims it,who gets to keep it ? - it would have made a great spare,if it was refurbished,as there is no kerbing etc - and I would certainly get it done,if it was given back - I just wondered where I stood ?

Alex

Last edited:
I have recently had a warranty claim for one of my alloy wheels approved by MB.There was some pitting and blistering to one of the alloys,but the rest were fine,so in it goes in two days time to be replaced,but I just wondered what will happen to the faulty alloy ? - is it MB's,the customers,or the dealership,whom carry out the work's property - who claims it,who gets to keep it ? - it would have made a great spare,if it was refurbished,as there is no kerbing etc - and I would certainly get it done,if it was given back - I just wondered where I stood ?

Alex

They just go in the scrap, so if you ask nicely, or perhaps offer them £20 you should end up with it, it all depends on who you are dealing with at the time though.

And they might need to sit on it for a while before you can have it in case MB want it, which the sometimes do.

I had my wheels replaced recently under warranty. I was keen to retain the old set to put winter tyres on...however, the dealer told me that the old wheels had to be retained and sent back to MB.

I had my wheels replaced recently under warranty. I was keen to retain the old set to put winter tyres on...however, the dealer told me that the old wheels had to be retained and sent back to MB.

Yes,I guess the last two comments make sense now when I think about it,thanks guys

alex

they say they send them back to mb milton keynes, but in truth just sit on site until paid for by warranty and then sold for a fiver scrap. we had a set of 20in ml63 alloys with nothing wrong apart from pitting sold for 20quid gutting!

they say they send them back to mb milton keynes, but in truth just sit on site until paid for by warranty and then sold for a fiver scrap. we had a set of 20in ml63 alloys with nothing wrong apart from pitting sold for 20quid gutting!

Absolute madness! Surely they could have been refurbed and sold on or even just sold on with no warranty on Flea Bay or similar!

Absolute madness! Surely they could have been refurbed and sold on or even just sold on with no warranty on Flea Bay or similar!

And end up on another car, and MB end up with a warrenty claim on parts they've already paid out for?

That's not to say lots don't end up on ebay...

I was told when mine were changed (and I had asked to buy the old ones)..that MB insisted that they were returned so they could scrap them to ensure they didn't get used on a car again...

I was told when mine were changed (and I had asked to buy the old ones)..that MB insisted that they were returned so they could scrap them to ensure they didn't get used on a car again...

Once upon a time they went for refurb - the Ruchas were a bit of an issue, so MB didn't just bin them, but they gave up on that.

All they do generally is stockpile them and either sell them or give them to a scrapman.

Somtimes they'll have a bit of a aluminum cache and weight it in themselves - alloy wheels can be worth £1300 a tonne.

So getting them back without resorting to bribery will be a mission.

Once upon a time they went for refurb - the Ruchas were a bit of an issue, so MB didn't just bin them, but they gave up on that.

All they do generally is stockpile them and either sell them or give them to a scrapman.

Somtimes they'll have a bit of a aluminum cache and weight it in themselves - alloy wheels can be worth £1300 a tonne.

So getting them back without resorting to bribery will be a mission.
I was told by Whitefield a long time ago that they used to refurbish them and use as warranty replacements. Essentially if your rims were replaced under warranty you got someone else's previously refurbished rims and then some other poor sucker got yours later on. It meant that the waiting times were lower I suppose.

I was told by Whitefield a long time ago that they used to refurbish them and use as warranty replacements. Essentially if your rims were replaced under warranty you got someone else's previously refurbished rims and then some other poor sucker got yours later on. It meant that the waiting times were lower I suppose.
They were definitely refurbished, but that has now changed and we now get new for old :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom