Warranty - what is the point?!?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian1676

Car
2008 CLS320 CDi Obsidian Black/Basalt Grey Leather/Silk Burr Walnut
My car "benefits" from a Tier 1 Mercedes Benz warranty having purchased the car as an approved used vehicle from a dealer. I have just had a conversation with the dealership which advised that I need a new ball joint - this isn't covered as it's a wear and tear item. I also need a new mechanism for the ashtray lid - this apparently isn't covered either as the mechanism has broken and the warranty does not cover anything that has broken. What the f*!# does a warranty cover? Parts will need replacing if they a) break or b) wear out - on this basis, my approved used warranty is as useful when something goes wrong as the half eaten sandwich sat on the desk next to me!

I have always told non-franchised car dealers when buying a car I want money off as I don't want their warranty due to the fact nothing is ever covered but thought better of what was described as the peace of mind of an approved used car warranty! Having bought 3 used Mercedes, all of which were poorly prepared and full of faults, I won't buy anymore. At least they fixed the faults under warranty previously, they don't seem to bother anymore.

Anyone else had the same? Think I'll buy cheap and private next time - the best cars I've bought were bought privately/locally!:mad:

Always read the small print.

Tier 1 Covers all mechanical and electrical components of your vehicle for defects - except the items listed below:

All service items which will require periodic replacement

Any item that has worn out rather than suffered from a defect after 100,000 miles

Auxiliary drive belts

Brake friction material and discs/drums

Light bulbs and fuses

Diesel glow plugs

Reprogramming/software updates

Hoses, hose clips and connectors

Glass

All hinges

Interior/Exterior trim

Wheels and tyres

Wiper blades

Body work/body seals

I have read that section - is a ball joint considered a service item then? I don't see anywhere where is is suggested that they are changed at specific intervals. They are not listed as an excluded item and as the car hasn't covered 100,000 miles it's not excluded as a wear item.

Also, how do you explain that the warranty apparently does not cover anything that breaks? My point was the dealers are arguing that the mechanism would be covered if it hasn't worn out or broken - if this is the case when would it be covered?

This is worth fighting for - start simple using your first sentence as the basis of your argument. They will try to drag you down into the treacle of T&Cs, but if the quote above your post is a direct cut & paste, stick to simple statements which they find much harder to counter.

Good luck

Last December my car failed its MOT with a worn / damaged lower suspension bush , it was replaced under their approved used scheme with no issues.

Prior to that they replaced a Lambda sensor and an inlet pressure sensor as the car had thrown a CEL , again with no questions. They kept the car for two days and gave me a 64 plate E class to use and repaired a slow puncture FOC whilst the car was in.

It seems "professional" aftercare is a bit hit and miss with MB , luckily MB Giffnock have always been fine with me which was one of the reasons I signed up for a four year service plan with them.

Kenny

Last edited:
Aftercare at MB is and has always been awful in my experience. I ran Vauxhalls for years and never had any issue with faults occurring within the warranty - if it wasn't specifically excluded they fixed it no questions asked. As I said, I think I'll just buy privately in future - much cheaper and the warranty provided is just as good - none! I won't have to endure the patronising, incompetent, difficult to reach (always on the busiest roads in the city centre) and expensive dealer network either!

I have read that section - is a ball joint considered a service item then? I don't see anywhere where is is suggested that they are changed at specific intervals. They are not listed as an excluded item and as the car hasn't covered 100,000 miles it's not excluded as a wear item.
Based on the list pasted in above, I don't understand why the ball joint wouldn't be covered.

Also, how do you explain that the warranty apparently does not cover anything that breaks? My point was the dealers are arguing that the mechanism would be covered if it hasn't worn out or broken - if this is the case when would it be covered?

I don't understand that - a major issue with used car warranties generally, is that they'll ONLY pay out if something has broken. Wear, or "it's making a funny noise" are usually not covered.

I would have thought in the case of the ashtray they might class it as interior trim, or the dealer thinks it's been broken by someone being heavy-handed etc with it.

Aftercare at MB is and has always been awful in my experience. I ran Vauxhalls for years and never had any issue with faults occurring within the warranty - if it wasn't specifically excluded they fixed it no questions asked. As I said, I think I'll just buy privately in future - much cheaper and the warranty provided is just as good - none! I won't have to endure the patronising, incompetent, difficult to reach (always on the busiest roads in the city centre) and expensive dealer network either!

It's not in the interest of the dealer to make a claim, less profit and it's easier to charge the customer. Better cash flow too.

You are covered on Tier 1 for any mechanical part that has a covering (rubber) that is not part of servicing or periodic replacement.

All other exemptions in the list apply.

Your ball joint should be covered in Tier 1 as is all other suspension parts of the vehicle not under service schedules.

3. Definition of Words
When the following words and phrases appear in this policy document or confirmation of cover letter, they have the specific meanings given below.
These words are highlighted by the use of bold print.
Area of cover means UK and Continental Europe Beneficiary, beneficiaries means you or any other driver of the insured vehicle using the insured vehicle with your permission and any passenger of the insured vehicle at the moment a breakdown/ immobilisation occurs up to the maximum number of people legally permitted in the insured vehicle.
Breakdown/immobilisation means electrical or mechanical breakdown, road traffic accident, vehicle fire or theft, loss of keys, punctures or running out of fuel, causing the insured vehicle to be immobilised.
Confirmation of cover letter means the letter which was sent to you with this policy document. Continental Europe means Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Cyprus (Greek territory only), Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal (not including Madeira and The Azores), Romania, Russia*, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain (including Balearic Islands but excluding Canary Islands), Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey. *Cover in Russia is limited to the limits of the following cities: St Petersburg, Moscow, Rostov On Don, Togliatti and Perm.
Electrical or Mechanical Failure:
Means the complete operational failure or internal damage caused by the actual breaking of any manufacturer fitted parts other than those specifically excluded. Insured vehicle means the insured vehicle shown on the confirmation of cover letter, for which the appropriate insurance premium has been paid. Insurer means AGA International SA. Maximum claim limit/claim limit for Tier 1 and Tier 2 this means up to the price you paid for the insured vehicle.
Driveline means up to a maximum of £5000. All levels of cover include VAT per claim. If the cost of repair is more than the price you paid for the insured vehicle, you will agree to meet the rest of the cost for the repair at a MB retailer. In the event that you decide not to proceed with the repair at a MB retailer, we will not be responsible to meet the cost of the repair.
Mercedes-Benz Warranty Services, Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance, we, our, us means Mondial Assistance (UK) Limited which administers the insurance on behalf of the insurer. Period of insurance means the period shown on your confirmation of cover letter.
Private individual means a person who is using the insured vehicle for their own personal use and who is not a motor trader, garage, business or individual dealing in the buying and selling or repair of motor vehicles. UK means England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
Wear and Tear: is the gradual deterioration caused by the effects of age and/or mileage under normal use. You, your means the private individual named on the confirmation of cover letter, or as replaced by any new owner correctly declared to us using the Transfer of Ownership Form in this document and accepted by us.

Last edited:

The issue is that all suspension components - especially those containing rubber - will wear with use. There is no schedule for replacement of suspension parts, just as there is no schedule for replacement of brake pads, brake discs, battery, etc - they are all changed 'on condition' i.e. 'as-and-when' required (and might in some cases even last for the life of the car), but in all cases there is no doubt that these items do have a limited life span and wear in use - if left in the car long enough they will eventually wear and fail.

In contrast, electronic components for example - in the main do not have specific life-span (though the industry does have MTBF figures for these), and tend to fail at random rather than wear and fail with age/mileage.

And there's a difference between new car statuary warranty (usually 1 year), new car extended warranty (usually 2 more years), used car statuary warranty (usually 6 months), approved used warranty, and aftermarket warranty (e.g. WarrantyDirect or MB Tier-1). If the warranty is not a statuary one, then you are covered for whatever the policy says the warranty covers.... which could be very much or very little.

Said that, no harm in arguing your point and see what you can get form the dealer. The above is juts to clarify what the dealer is basing his initial rejection on.

It's not in the interest of the dealer to make a claim, less profit and it's easier to charge the customer. Better cash flow too.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there! :thumb: Strangely after calling Mondial Assist who provide the warranty both jobs are being dealt with under warranty - the claims dept at Mondial simply said both items were covered and to tell the dealer to submit them as usual on line as they'll be paid. As you say they charge me the usual inflated prices but can only put a reasonable charge through to Mondial!

The issue is that all suspension components - especially those containing rubber - will wear with use. There is no schedule for replacement of suspension parts, just as there is no schedule for replacement of brake pads, brake discs, battery, etc - they are all changed 'on condition' i.e. 'as-and-when' required (and might in some cases even last for the life of the car), but in all cases there is no doubt that these items do have a limited life span and wear in use - if left in the car long enough they will eventually wear and fail.

In contrast, electronic components for example - in the main do not have specific life-span (though the industry does have MTBF figures for these), and tend to fail at random rather than wear and fail with age/mileage.

And there's a difference between new car statuary warranty (usually 1 year), new car extended warranty (usually 2 more years), used car statuary warranty (usually 6 months), approved used warranty, and aftermarket warranty (e.g. WarrantyDirect or MB Tier-1). If the warranty is not a statuary one, then you are covered for whatever the policy says the warranty covers.... which could be very much or very little.

Said that, no harm in arguing your point and see what you can get form the dealer. The above is juts to clarify what the dealer is basing his initial rejection on.

Thanks - but as suspected the initial rejection was based upon £££'s! They can charge me far more than Mondial! This experience only served to reaffirm my dislike/distrust of MB dealers!

Hi guys first post as a new MB owner, joining this forum to get (and hopefully give) advice on minimising service and repair cost, I too have an inbuilt distrust of dealers!

OK I have had my car just on 12 months and the dealer warranty is about to run out and I now have the decision do I renew or not? I looked at it this way:

- Warranty would cost £550 for the year
- I will cover only 6000 miles max (car is 2010 with 30,000 on the clock)
- If I took the warranty I would probably have to get the car dealer serviced adding to the cost.
- I can do the service (A service = oil and filter change!) for £70 against the dealer cost of around £400.
my saving on the warranty and service amount to £880 which I have in effect in the bank for any repairs. OK if something major does go wrong it will cost, but given my experience in recent years cars are pretty reliable.
Those offering the warranty want to make a profit so they are bargaining the cost of repairs will be much less than £550, so it's a risk I'm prepared to take!

Just reading about how these warranty companies try and get out of claims, I am happy with my approach!

I think you've hit the nail on the head there! :thumb: Strangely after calling Mondial Assist who provide the warranty both jobs are being dealt with under warranty - the claims dept at Mondial simply said both items were covered and to tell the dealer to submit them as usual on line as they'll be paid. As you say they charge me the usual inflated prices but can only put a reasonable charge through to Mondial!

Yes, I suppose in one way I have, in another way I haven't or more to the point the dealer in question hasn't. If the dealer was customer focused and customer retention was a priority they would be maximising warranty claims on behalf of their customers.

Just imagine being able to say to your customer/s, no charge! How awesome is that, imo one couldn't really surpass that when it comes to maintaining a costly item like a prestige car.

Hi guys first post as a new MB owner, joining this forum to get (and hopefully give) advice on minimising service and repair cost, I too have an inbuilt distrust of dealers!

OK I have had my car just on 12 months and the dealer warranty is about to run out and I now have the decision do I renew or not? I looked at it this way:

- Warranty would cost £550 for the year
- I will cover only 6000 miles max (car is 2010 with 30,000 on the clock)
- If I took the warranty I would probably have to get the car dealer serviced adding to the cost.
- I can do the service (A service = oil and filter change!) for £70 against the dealer cost of around £400.
my saving on the warranty and service amount to £880 which I have in effect in the bank for any repairs. OK if something major does go wrong it will cost, but given my experience in recent years cars are pretty reliable.
Those offering the warranty want to make a profit so they are bargaining the cost of repairs will be much less than £550, so it's a risk I'm prepared to take!

Just reading about how these warranty companies try and get out of claims, I am happy with my approach!

Totally agree with you! I've only bought one warranty and soon realised it was a total waste of money as nothing is covered/everything is excluded! I mistakenly thought buying an approved used car would mean a comprehensive warranty that was actually of some use - wrong! Will take my time an buy privately a lot cheaper next time - as I said above you get the same warranty cover! Don't have to service at MB either - £380 for an A service - oil, filter (if they actually bothered - must check!) and a wash/vac just so I can keep my pointless warranty!

After my E220 rusted away from beneath me, and was not covered under the 25 year anti-perforation warranty because MB did not change the engine oil, I now really enjoy my Ford Mondeo ............... well done MB.

I think I'd be having a word with the Dealer Principal / General Manager about that. Their job is to look after you and make the ownership experience a pleasure - not to cause you hassle and make you chase around to sort problems out yourself.

It is no longer a prestige car, just a product. Replacement cycles are quicker, quality is not what it was. Mercedes are no longer built like bank vaults, they are just the same as anything else, manufactured to make money. There are now many more about than there were in my childhood and they are no longer exclusive. I know this because these days, even I own one!
I would assert that it is easier to find a good 20 year old car than a good 10 year old car and with the reduced durability, Mercedes dealers are getting used to not seeing repeat business.

Last edited:
IMO a warranty Isn't worth the paper it's printed on, currently taking a dealer to court over an issue over a gearbox fault that they say is down to 'wear and tear' but according to manufactures the gearbox should last the life time of the car.
I wouldn't ever bother with one ever again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom