Warranty - what is the point?!?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Somebody earlier said it's up to the buyer to prove the fault I think you'll find the responsibility is on the dealer to prove that the car was of satisfactory quality when you bought it in the first six months after purchase.

Somebody earlier said it's up to the buyer to prove the fault I think you'll find the responsibility is on the dealer to prove that the car was of satisfactory quality when you bought it in the first six months after purchase.

Well it is still up to the buyer to prove a fault exists... if the seller does not agree that there is actually a fault in the car then the buyer may need to obtain impartial expert advice (e.g. AA).

I'm still "bitching" as they still want to charge me £186 for "diagnosing the faults as diagnostics are not covered by the warranty" according to the service manager! Will find out today whether he's sticking to that.

The diagnostics are covered under warranty if they find a fault. If they don't find nothing then you have to pay. How do i know as i have a fault with mine and they didnt find nothing so i had to pay the £120 for the diagnostics but did get a free car was :bannana:

Wow what a sh1te experience.

My ex W203 went through 3 inlet port things and had a crankshaft bearing replaced.

My experience was that MB Swindon bent over backwards to help.

1st inlet was paid for by Warranty Direct ...no problem.
2nd one was done in France. Mobilio pulled out all stops, paid for hotel taxi etc. When I got home I had no idea what had broken so went to dealer with invoice. Told that is covered under parts warranty. Dealer cheque arrived 4 days later. WD had already agreed to refund me so were pleased when I called to tell them.

3rd went in York. MB York told me I had to pay. Called my dealer in Swindon who faxed up all invoices and contacted HO. Even though it was 2 months past the 2 years of the 1st one MB paid all.

Bearing went at 80,000 miles. MB offered to pay 50%. WD paid the rest. No quibbles.

Just goes to prove a dealer who works for you is worth their weight in gold. MB Swindon seem to be a rare breed.

Also WD were excellent.

You can't that is a fact , here is the law verbatim

The law

When you buy a used vehicle from a trader you are making a legally binding contract. You have legal rights against the trader under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.

The vehicle should be:

- Of a satisfactory quality - free from minor defects, safe and durable for a reasonable length of time. When assessing satisfactory quality you should take into account the price you paid for the vehicle, its age, mileage and condition at the time of sale.

- Fit for its intended purpose or a purpose that you made known to the trader - fit to be driven on the road.

- As described - the vehicle should correspond with any description applied to it. In some circumstances, the trader may be liable for any statement made by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

If the vehicle is faulty , you are legally entitled to request one of the following remedies:

a full refund
compensation (damages)
repair or replacement
rescission or reduction in price

Note you are legally entitled to request the dealer can tell you to fcuk off and there's no redress except to go to court. If you do you will be asked to prove the vehicle was not fit for purpose at the time of the sale, you might be able to prove it is not fit for purpose now if its broken down, but try and prove it was not fit for purpose at the time of the sale, you drove it home didnt you?

I've seen Trading Standards bring these to court many times and they have lost on every occasion

This an old thread but you are TALKING A LOAD OF ********!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The LAW IS VERY VERY VERY CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frequently Asked Questions | Honest John

I have used the sales of goods act to get a FULL REFUND from Mercedes-Benz. This was on a 4 year old approved used car and after I had it for 2 months.

Stop talking crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sale act goods act is a very good law. Read the case law.

idiot!!!!!!!!!!

Well it is still up to the buyer to prove a fault exists... if the seller does not agree that there is actually a fault in the car then the buyer may need to obtain impartial expert advice (e.g. AA).

More RUBBISH.

YOU haven`t a clue.

The Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, is derived from EU Directive 1999/44/EU which became Clauses 48A to 48F inclusive of the Sale of Goods act in April 2003. This reverses the burden of proof so that if goods go faulty within six months after purchase it is deemed they were faulty at the time of purchase and the trader has the onus of proving that the item is not defective due to a manufacturing defect.

I've had similar warranty issues, e.g AC needs regas, car was supplied with the fault but they are saying I cannot prove, escalated to a manager at MB customer service and they've said they'll reduce the amount of my next service and that's the best they can do, avoid mercedes stratstone in Huddersfield, the worst dealer I've dealt with. Tempted to do a credit card chargeback for how much I'm out of pocket by.

If within the first six month you don`t have to prove anything!!!!

The Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, is derived from EU Directive 1999/44/EU which became Clauses 48A to 48F inclusive of the Sale of Goods act in April 2003. This reverses the burden of proof so that if goods go faulty within six months after purchase it is deemed they were faulty at the time of purchase and the trader has the onus of proving that the item is not defective due to a manufacturing defect.

DON`T give in!!! fight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom