Was driving on the M1 today and my indicator flew off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercedes lover

Car
Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI 2003
Was driving on M1 was just coming up to my exit when my indicator flew off the driver behind started flashing me. So when I got to my destination had a look and the whole unit was gone just leaving the wires with the connector boxes on.

I looked on Euro car parts, can anyone tell me I looked under lighting and found indicator lamp, is that the whole indicator, lense and holder?

What car do you have? A W202 by any chance?

This is a common fault - if the unit is removed to change a bulb etc, and not pushed back securely, it can come out by itself. When fitting the new part, make sure that you fit it very carefully, or this could happen again!

Should be posted in electronics section though! ;)

Cheers,

Will

Oh, and they are not too expensive from the stealership ~ £40! :)

Yes is W202, It came out twice before put it back in but the clips wouldn't clip in. What do you have to do push it as hard as you can to get the clips to clip in properly?

Push as hard as you can, and then some more !!

You will hear a definite click when it locates in place.

S.

checked mine this afternoon, both were clipped in ok but took the tip to drill a hole in the clip handle and used a couple of cable ties to secure the indicator to the loom - just in case.

Then when pushing them back made sure I pushed all the way till the clip really did clip solidly back into position. Use a torch and you can easily tell when its fully home.

Same happened to me on a w124 years ago, was on a french motorway when my indicators began to flash a little too fast, thought it must be a bulb. I was so shocked when the whole unit was missing! Changed the pair in the end, I didnt want one that looked newer than the other.

I lost mine a few weeks back too!

replaced it with one which has a little crack, but, it`ll do till i get time to get another!

Hi there,

This happened to me a few weeks ago too (glad I'm not the only one!).

As for parts, the euro car parts one is just the lens and mounting plate only. I got my replacement from gsfcarparts for £15, which included everything - all I had to do was plug it in and, once it was securely clipped in, drive away.

w202 indicator falling off on motorway, welcome to the club :D

anybody had any luck picking it up again in one piece? ;)

no chance, i felt it go under the wheel! but i didnt realise it was my indicator until i was home a 40 odd miles away!

lexie said:
anybody had any luck picking it up again in one piece? ;)
No, mine was squashed by a 17" carlsson rim, on a carlsson C37, two cars behind me!

Mine bounced off a BMW and shattered into hundreds of pieces ... must have given them a right shock !!

S.

I didn't notice that mine had gone until I was at some lights and saw a reflection of my car in a shop window! I realised then that the thing I ran over on the motorway earlier was probably part of my own car......

I drilled a small hole in the back casing of mine and attached a 'safety rope' to the chassis of the car :) well actually it was a cable tie but you get the idea ;)

Happened to me once, a couple of years ago on my last W202, just after it had been serviced :rolleyes:. Not sure where, somewhere on the A23/M23 or M25 at a guess?

I distinctly remember trying to park, in a particularly tight space, and a friend went to check that the front was clear as I reversed in. He worried me at first when he said that there was a load of wires hanging out the front corner of the NS wing! :crazy:

Took me a few seconds to realise what had happened! ;)

Cheers,

Will

When mine flew off I was coming up to the junction the guy in the middle lane was doing about 95mph thought better get past him with plenty of time to pull off, hit nearly 110mph pulled into the middle lane suddenly heard a noise, saw something fly off thought what was that, my wife said something flew off, I thought it was the hub cap but she said no it was the indicator.

Euro parts do 2 indicator the original bosch for £31 complete or an alternative that is about £15 plus £4.60 for the bulb holder. I bought my Mum the bosch for her C class my self the alternative, got out looked in the box saw I had no holder went back in and the guy said the replacement doesnt come with holder you have to buy it seperate so I asked for refund and bought the bosch, took some pushing but took everyones advise and pushed as hard as I could untill I got a rewarding click, but what I did notice was that my last one that fell out had the large clip snaped off so thats why didn't stay in properly. Some idiot must have snapped it changing the bulb and just slot it back in. Was begining to think I should have stuck it back in with grip fill but then would never come out again :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom