Was I the only one not paying attention?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scooby_Doo

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Macan S
I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere before , so came as a bit of a surprise.
April 2017 VED rates on cars over £40,000 , annual VED to be £450 a year from year 2 to year 6 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So is there going to be a rush of registrations in early 2017 and will it have an effect on residuals of these cars in 2020.

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

I'm hoping that Ferrari have to reduce the price of their cars to £39999.00 as no one buys them anymore, same goes for McLaren, Lamborghini etc etc :D

It has been discussed on here before.

I can't remember though if electric vehicles get an exemption?

What's the deal with a Tesla for instance?

It might lead to manufacturers stripping out spec to get below the tax threshold on a basic RRP, and everything like electric windows, alloy wheels, central locking, folding mirrors, park sensors etc. could be options, so by the time you do add options it will double the price of the car.

I read somewhere that Tesla don't qualify exemption despite zero emissions. The 'green' aspect has gone out the window because a Tesla pays the same VED as a V12 guzzler I believe. (after the initial purchase tax period)

Tesla, despite zero emissions, will incur a VED of £310 simply because it costs more than £40,000

Those Eco hybrid cars should actually be paying more road tax due to them not using as much petrol and as such evading fuel duty.

In fact, I'd charge them £1000 per year.

It might lead to manufacturers stripping out spec to get below the tax threshold on a basic RRP, and everything like electric windows, alloy wheels, central locking, folding mirrors, park sensors etc. could be options, so by the time you do add options it will double the price of the car...

This may potentially be applicable to £42k-£45k cars... but probably not very practical for £50k, £60k, cars etc....

It might lead to manufacturers stripping out spec to get below the tax threshold on a basic RRP, and everything like electric windows, alloy wheels, central locking, folding mirrors, park sensors etc. could be options, so by the time you do add options it will double the price of the car.
Doesn't work like that - It's based on list price + on road + delivery + any options , so if your car lists as £39950 inc on the road costs and you add an option worth more than £50 you've tripped the £40000 limit.

Those Eco hybrid cars should actually be paying more road tax due to them not using as much petrol and as such evading fuel duty.

In fact, I'd charge them £1000 per year.

I'd echo that !

Also the fact that most hybrids never remotely get anywhere near manufactures emissions claims by a massive margin most of the time.

Doesn't work like that - It's based on list price + on road + delivery + any options , so if your car lists as £39950 inc on the road costs and you add an option worth more than £50 you've tripped the £40000 limit.

Exactly. What I suggested in the other discussion on this is that hopefully it'll lead to cars being better spec'd as standard. No-one is going to be keen to buy a car where certain "essential" options nudge the list price over £40K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom