Was my offer to low?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C250BLUE

Car
mb
Hi All,

After my car was stolen, I'm on a hunt for a new. :)

My previous car was C220d AMG Line with premium Plus (16 Plate) which gave me 18 months of trouble free driving.

So with this in mind I will be looking for something similar but preferably with the updated command system, including the updated dashboard.

The following car Used Mercedes-Benz C-Class for sale – CarGuruscaught my eye so I called up and offered the dealer £27.5k saying that was my best offer for the car. The bloke started getting rude with me which I could tell by the tone in his voice :) lol, saying there is no way I can drop nearly £4k on the car blah,blah,blah. So the conversation ended and he literally put the phone down on me lol.

What do you think of the car, is it priced correctly and was I taking the p*** with my offer of £27.5k.
I really like the car.

CarGurus – find great car deals

Last edited:
Offer aside, yours is not the first report of rudeness I've heard from the Reading branch since it moved to Vertu.

seems like other people have experienced rudeness also, so with this in mind I won't be giving them any of my money.

Asking for a reduction of £3150 is a bit much... HOWEVER he is an employee and courtesy/professionalism should be his utmost priority. Perhaps an email to management may be worthwhile.. :)

Hi All,

After my car was stolen, I'm on a hunt for a new. :)

My previous car was C220d AMG Line with premium Plus (16 Plate) which gave me 18 months of trouble free driving.

So with this in mind I will be looking for something similar but preferably with the updated command system, including the updated dashboard.

The following car Used Mercedes-Benz C-Class for sale – CarGuruscaught my eye so I called up and offered the dealer £27.5k saying that was my best offer for the car. The bloke started getting rude with me which I could tell by the tone in his voice :) lol, saying there is no way I can drop nearly £4k on the car blah,blah,blah. So the conversation ended and he literally put the phone down on me lol.

What do you think of the car, is it priced correctly and was I taking the p*** with my offer of £27.5k.
I really like the car.

CarGurus – find great car deals
Strange pricing history for the car. A new one on DriveTheDeal is about £ 34k. The website says the car has been on sale on CarGuru’s for 160 days so since mid Oct, only 1 month after registering. The price history shows that in Jan in reduced by £ 7k then shot back up £ 7k then reduced £ 7k again in March (post 19 plate). As it was priced at £ 30k in January I would say your offer was very generous given the new 19 plate would have knocked the price down.

Sounds an honest and fair offer but dealerships these days have such little margin. You basically need to evidence that the car is incorrectly priced and needs an adjustment. However finding a parallel car is critical. I did this with my C class purchase, however, as I couldn't find an identical spec we added 35% of the options rrp. This approach resulted in an extra £1500 saving on the price to change.

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 9

they must have dropped the price since you called as its now £30k - so you were asking for £2.5k / 8% off.

Perhaps the salesman needs a new calculator....

Try again at month end if you really want the car, offer seems fine.

If you want the car I would be inclined to visit the dealership and discuss your offer. The salesman will be less inclined to accept an offer over the phone from a speculative caller.

Perhaps an email to management may be worthwhile.. :)

I'm not sure what difference that would make. I had the service manager grab my arm and try to stop me leaving because, in his own words, "he hadn't finished having his say". That put an instant stop to my business with them, despite the fact that I drive past their premises every day.

If you want the car I would be inclined to visit the tent in the car park and discuss your offer. The salesman will be less inclined to accept an offer over the phone from a speculative caller.

Reading dealership is undergoing some serious remodelling - they've knocked down one of the buildings and completely gutted the other. Workshops are currently operating out of the disused newspaper printers about 200yds down.

Strange pricing history for the car. A new one on DriveTheDeal is about £ 34k. The website says the car has been on sale on CarGuru’s for 160 days so since mid Oct, only 1 month after registering. The price history shows that in Jan in reduced by £ 7k then shot back up £ 7k then reduced £ 7k again in March (post 19 plate). As it was priced at £ 30k in January I would say your offer was very generous given the new 19 plate would have knocked the price down.

This is so true, the car has been on sale for quite along time, I wounder why that is? It also seems they knocked off a further £1650 since yesterday.
Best I wait month end and make another offer in person if it's still available :).
I will be paying cash.

I will be paying cash.

Dealers hate selling cars for cash. Bit of a faff, but try asking "how much a month can I get it for and what's the lowest deposit"? Aim to get the amount borrowed plus deposit as low as possible, take the car, then Withdraw from the finance. Standard practice on new cars to get the deposit contribution.

Dealers hate selling cars for cash. Bit of a faff, but try asking "how much a month can I get it for and what's the lowest deposit"? Aim to get the amount borrowed plus deposit as low as possible, take the car, then Withdraw from the finance. Standard practice on new cars to get the deposit contribution.
On a new car, I got a further £ 2.5k discount for taking £ 10k Finance with less than £ 1k interest over 3 years. The salesman was adamant I couldn’t get that discount without the finance. I achieved £ 8k without the finance so I really did believe him when he said no kore without Finance. He couldn’t explain it either. As Rory said, you can cancel the finance and pay no interest so may be worth go8ng back with a new offer and tell him you’ll take finance.

It really all hinges on what margin they have in the car.

Referring only to used cars here but I would be surprised if they went for that kind of offer though.

From what I've learnt recently, it does seem like they have a lot less margin in cars these days. That could well be bullshit and they are more arrogant than ever but I do hear that trotted out from different dealerships from different groups quite a lot.

I just work on the basis of "are you happy paying this amount" rather than nailing their ass to the wall (because frankly it's not worth the effort or playing the "walk away price" game for a few more quid). If you don't like it, wait for the next one as there will be one along shortly. Search nationwide too and if you put in the effort - you can save £3k/£4k buying from say Sheffield instead of say Swindon.

For the record, I've recently dealt with Reading and spoke to three different people. Two were polite enough but the person I dealt with was a bumble-fcking idiot. Got requested details for a car wrong 4 times with no apology despite clearly being their error - almost on the verge of suggesting it was my fault and the details they sent through WERE correct - even though they weren't. They got a few things wrong and didn't remember the whole deal negotiated. Was I impressed? No. Would I use them again? No. Are they basically shyte? Yes. As said, they operate from some old tent in the car park at the moment although I doubt things change even when they have new premises.

Sounds an honest and fair offer but dealerships these days have such little margin. You basically need to evidence that the car is incorrectly priced and needs an adjustment. However finding a parallel car is critical. I did this with my C class purchase, however, as I couldn't find an identical spec we added 35% of the options rrp. This approach resulted in an extra £1500 saving on the price to change.

This absolutely helps. Another car I've recently negotiated on "absolutely couldn't do any more" until I produced examples of other cars priced better. Doesn't need to be equal spec as they aren't really that interested although I knew the car we were looking at had the Premium Pack and the cheaper ones didn't. :D

Then throw other things at them like a second year warranty, servicing etc.

Last edited:

So would this work on used cars?

Why don't the dealer like selling cars for cash, is it because they will miss out on the interest payments?

So would this work on used cars?

Why don't the dealer like selling cars for cash, is it because they will miss out on the interest payments?

They don't get any kick-back from the Finance company...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom