Was my offer to low?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It really all hinges as to what margin they have in the car.

Referring only to used cars here but I would be surprised if they went for that kind of offer though.

From what I've learnt recently, it does seem like they have a lot less margin in cars these days. That could well be bullshit and they are more arrogant than ever but I do hear that trotted out from different dealerships from different groups quite a lot.

I just work on the basis of "are you happy paying this amount" rather than nailing their ass to the wall (because frankly it's not worth the effort or playing the "walk away price" game for a few more quid). If you don't like it, wait for the next one as there will be one along shortly. Search nationwide too and if you put in the effort - you can save £3k/£4k buying from say Sheffield instead of say Swindon.

For the record, I've recently dealt with Reading and spoke to three different people. Two were polite enough but the person I dealt with was a bumble-fcking idiot. Got requested details for a car wrong 4 times with no apology despite clearly being their error - almost on the verge of suggesting it was my fault and the details they sent through WERE correct - even though they weren't. They got a few things wrong and didn't remember the whole deal negotiated. Was I impressed? No. Would I use them again? No. Are they basically shyte? Yes. As said, they operate from some old tent in the car park at the moment although I doubt things change even when they have new premises.

This absolutely helps. Another car I've recently negotiated on "absolutely couldn't do any more" until I produced examples of other cars priced better. Doesn't need to be equal spec as they aren't really that interested although I knew the car we were looking at had the Premium Pack and the cheaper ones didn't. :D

Then throw other things at them like a second year warranty, servicing etc.

Some great advise all thank you so much. :banana:

They don't get any kick-back from the Finance company...

Which the salesman will be targeted on. If he misses his finance penetration target then selling a car for cash might cost him money to the extent that he'd rather you didn't buy the car at all. If he does it all the time he might get fired.

Dealers' main business is selling finance. The cars are just a way of doing that.

Which the salesman will be targeted on. If he misses his finance penetration target then selling a car for cash might cost him money to the extent that he'd rather you didn't buy the car at all. If he does it all the time he might get fired.

Dealers' main business is selling finance. The cars are just a way of doing that.

You assume he!

That's fine, I'd move on to the next one. I wouldn't be buying on finance until hell froze over...

The dealer also earns more commission when setting a higher rate of interest.

So get it on finance and settle the next day..... Done that a few times [emoji12]

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Some finance products hit you with a penalty for early settlement within a certain period.

Some finance products hit you with a penalty for early settlement within a certain period.

The maximum by law if you settle is a month interest, so not much. Best thing is to Withdraw - you get charged a few days interest - literally a few £.

Always has to be a 14-day cooling-off period, so no penalties if settled within that time.

yip.. . settle within cooling off period with no penalty.
it is easy to get a 2.8% APR unsecured personal loan if you dont fancy the 11.9% rates at a dealer -

That's fine, I'd move on to the next one. I wouldn't be buying on finance until hell froze over...

I used to say that, but was increasingly having a lot of hassle buying cash. It's some years (early 2005) since I got my Mercedes but the sales manager kept dropping the interest rate until he was lower than the interest I was getting on savings at the time. When I still said no, he stormed off in a huff!

The sales manager storming off in a huff thing also happened when I bought a Golf for one of my daughters. On a Honda Jazz I took the PCP as it was 0% and there was an additional £500 rebate if we took it. Apparently Honda is so keen to get people into PCP's they're prepared to bribe them. The fairly recent Tiguan we bought I just went for the PCP as there was £2750 deposit contribution available, then Withdrew a few days later.

Certainly on the Tiguan it was the best car purchase experience I've ever had - I think the salesman would have turned hinmself inside out if I'ad asked him to. Nothing was too much trouble and even though I know (from comparing other deals on a Tiguan forum) we had a very good deal he still threw in all sorts of other stuff.

If you want the car you are much better going in and trying to haggle face to face so at least they know you are for real and serious. As others said finance seems to get more of a deal than cash. Had exactly the same thing with Peugeot buying a car for my daughter this month. Just check the small print as I know some of them say you must make so many payments if there is a manufacturers contribution but it still pays to do this and then pay off the deal.

Well this month is perfect for a end of the month bargain,the 30th.31st is at a weekend,you have nothing to lose,wander in and show interest in the car and haggle around the figure you want to pay,they may need to shift it and make their quota for the month.:rolleyes:

Email your offer to the dealer principal and say you were surprised at the rude attitude of the salesperson.

I had the worst experience ever visiting a Mercedes dealer today as the sales guy turned out to be rude, arrogant with a f***** attitude :mad:.

I drove from London all the up to Reading to go see this car (one posted earlier in Thread), took it for a test drive and immediately thought yep this is the car for me.

During the test drive I specifically asked him what the cost of the Road tax is and he said it could be £450 but he will check.

Went back to the office now to talk numbers and hopefully agree on a deal. We both came to an agreement so for the car, Gap insurance, Road Fund Licence ( after him confirming it's actually £140 and not £450 but then back tracking later) including delivery to London all for £30,235.00 which I was happy with so he proceeded with getting all the paperwork ready.

Half way through this, he went to see his manager to get the deal signed off, it was at this point where all the problems Started.

After the sales guy speaking with his manager to get the deal signed off, he came back and told me the Road Tax is actually £450 and I now have to pay for this.

This is when I disputed the additional £450 and said he will have to honour it as it was part of the deal. It was at this point he started back tracking on his word and disputing the fact he ever agreed to it in the first place :mad:.

After some exchanges he became rude, arrogant and pushy hoping I will just give in and agree to the extra cost, which I didn't.

After a couple minutes of toing and froing, I just thought to myself f**** this, and said to him I don't want to go ahead anymore, he then became argumentative, so I simply stood up and said I'm going and I want my refundable deposit of £500 back which I paid before going up there to minimise a wasted journey if someone decided to buy it. His response was ' see ya later, I don't want to sell the car to you anyway. :mad:

Driving back home, he calls me and tries to explain what a Road Fund License is and how all driver have to pay ( I ****ing know this lol). I said to him after the way you treated me, I wasn't interested.

When I got home I made a complaint to his manager who was apologetic.

Half hour later I get a call from the sales guy apologising for his actions, which I accepted just to move on.

He was still pushing for a sale!. He must of called me back about 3 or 4 times after the apology still trying to sell me the car. After numerous calls, he offered to sell me the car for £30,300, which I turned down because of all this.

I even wrote a review on Facebook and he begged me to take it down as he might lose his job over it.
As I'm a good person and I didn't want him to lose his job over it, I agreed to take my review down after Mercedes Benz UK responded back to my review by saying they will investigate.

I have never ever been spoken to or treated like how I was today especially from a main Mercedes Benz dealer.

Deep down I felt I was getting a good deal and I would of went for it in the end if the guy was polite and didn't turn out to be an arrogant ****er with a chip on his shoulder.

I'll wait a couple more weeks and see what comes up or buy a new car through carwow or drive the deal.

This was my experience at Mercedes Benz Reading.

Last edited:
I think you did the right thing...

I guess you already had some insight from some of us what to expect but at least you know for sure.

Some people need to learn to behave or face the consequences of their actions. You can't act like a coffee-shaker and expect to get away with - I don't care what the reasons are.

If you are unwell, you shouldn't be at work.

It looks like you had fair warning of this dealers culture and attitude with your first contact.

Best to walk away.

There is always another deal.

That said, would this car fall under the new luxury car tax rules, hence the confusion?

I think you did the right thing...

I guess you already had some insight from some of us what to expect but at least you know for sure.

Some people need to learn to behave or face the consequences of their actions. You can't act like a coffee-shaker and expect to get away with - I don't care what the reasons are.

If you are unwell, you shouldn't be at work.

Exactly. I think the young chap was better off working in Mcdonald's flipping burgers tbh. Respect goes along way.

It looks like you had fair warning of this dealers culture and attitude with your first contact.

Best to walk away.

There is always another deal.

That said, would this car fall under the new luxury car tax rules, hence the confusion?

Quite possibly as it appears the car was worth £40k when it first came out.
The sales guy should of known this from the start before agreeing on the deal. Even if they offered me the car for £30k tomorrow I will still turn it down.
Previous cars I have bought from Mercedes Lakeside,each occasion was smooth and pleasant unlike this place.

Sounds like you had a cracking time!

With customer service like that, who needs enemies?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom