Was my offer to low?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I work for a large construction company, so I get given a monthly car allowance of around £500 on top of my salary, so the company expect me to drive a decent car to work and not in some old banger. :)

I did consider leasing but I won't own anything in the end.

I went back to the main dealer today and asked him to match carwow price, he is going to talk to his boss when he back in the office tomorrow.I'll also look into the E220, but mind you the two previous diesels cars I owned, I had no issues with the DPF due to low mileage. If I do end up getting the E-Class I will make sure I will go on long distance road trips:)

The E Class looks by far superior :)

Is the servicing costs similar to the C Class?
My Service agreement is about £ 5 / month more for E350e over C350e

However, if you have negotiated and agreed a deal with which both you and the dealer are happy and you know that the dealer has agreed to it because of the commission earned on the finance scheme then to settle quickly knowing that they will lose their commission equates to pulling a fast one.

I don't agree with that - unless the dealer has made it clear that it's vital to the dealership and the salesman that you continue with the deal. It doesn't always affect them - we were encouraged to take finance then withdraw by a Toyota dealer although we didn't buy that car in the end.

I much more strongly feel that it's wrong that customers are encouraged into taking finance with hefty deposit contributions. That amount should be available as a discount however you're paying.

Finally bought a new Car today from Mercedes Beconsfield :). I ended up going for the C class in the end ( 68 plate C220d, Premium Plus, with memory pack)as the E class was working out very expensive in the end.

Thanks for all your comments. The hunt is now on for a decent tracker before the car get delivered next week :):):)

One thing I learned from buying a car this time round, that if you say you want to buy the car with Cash rather then finance, some dealers are not interested which is totally wrong.

Tracker - just read about Rewire Security DB2 in C&SC - rewiresecurity.co.uk £59 plus £5 pcm with quite a few security options to trigger alerts

Disklok. Cumbersome, but does what it should.

Finally bought a new Car today from Mercedes Beconsfield :). I ended up going for the C class in the end ( 68 plate C220d, Premium Plus, with memory pack)as the E class was working out very expensive in the end.

Thanks for all your comments. The hunt is now on for a decent tracker before the car get delivered next week :):):)

One thing I learned from buying a car this time round, that if you say you want to buy the car with Cash rather then finance, some dealers are not interested which is totally wrong.
Please tell me that you paid about the same for a 68 plate that the original dealer wanted for a 16 plate. More importantly, I hope you tell the original salesman !

Just remember to:
1. double press lock which switches off keyless entry.
2. Buy and use one if these: MONOJOY Large Faraday Bag, Signal Blocking Pouch for Car Keys Phones, Keyless Entry Signal Blocker, RFID Cell Phone and Key Pouch (Large Faraday Bag) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DQKQQBB/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 9

> They don't get any kick-back from the Finance company...

I have always assumed that they have a target based on amount financed or amount of cars financed via Mercedes Finance though. I.e indirect kick back

R

I have always assumed that they have a target based on amount financed or amount of cars financed via Mercedes Finance though. I.e indirect kick back

R
Who said that there's no commission from the finance co?

Please tell me that you paid about the same for a 68 plate that the original dealer wanted for a 16 plate. More importantly, I hope you tell the original salesman !

I paid about £1200 extra mainly because it had less mileage on the clock (3000 miles), whilst the original car I was going for had about 8000 miles.
There are not many premium plus C class out there at the moment especially the newer models, there are quite a few premium models though going for under £30k.

I didn't mind paying the extra as I was getting a professional service unlike the other place. if something was to go wrong I know they will be able to sort it out without any issues. Treating people with respect goes a long way.

My neighbour bought me a Faraday pouch for my keys a few days after my car got nicked, which was nice of them :). I'll also be getting the Faraday day bag Lennox mentioned, and to round it of i'll put in three new telescopic bollards in the driveway, and a steering wheel disklok to keep the scumbags away.

The dealer going to look into getting a decent tracker fitted (Tracker Locate £295) to the car before I take deliver. My misses thinks I'm going a bit OTT. :eek:

I paid about £1200 extra mainly because it had less mileage on the clock (3000 miles), whilst the original car I was going for had about 8000 miles.
There are not many premium plus C class out there at the moment especially the newer models, there are quite a few premium models though going for under £30k.

I didn't mind paying the extra as I was getting a professional service unlike the other place. if something was to go wrong I know they will be able to sort it out without any issues. Treating people with respect goes a long way.

My neighbour bought me a Faraday pouch for my keys a few days after my car got nicked, which was nice of them :). I'll also be getting the Faraday day bag Lennox mentioned, and to round it of i'll put in three new telescopic bollards in the driveway, and a steering wheel disklok to keep the scumbags away.

The dealer going to look into getting a decent tracker fitted (Tracker Locate £295) to the car before I take deliver. My misses thinks I'm going a bit OTT. :eek:
Not necessarily, where do you live?

I live in East London which is quite a shit hole tbh lol. I am looking to move next year.

You got a great deal compared to the 2016 car - the 2 year warranty remaining for peace of mind is worth that and the higher residual (even after 6 years) will cover it.
I had to get a Tracker fitted to my CLS to stay with the same insurance company. Worked well and very handy for claiming business mileage as you get a very detailed log of all movements. Mine played up towards the end by giving false alarms but Tracker sent a new unit. I didn’t get one fitted to my replacement car as there were loads of reports (over 3 years ago so probably not relevant now) of the Tracker not sending signals from within containers which was what the thieves were using at the time.

R

Could be - I don't know for sure either but either wouldn't surprise me.

Could be - I don't know for sure either but either wouldn't surprise me.
The dealer will receive commission for selling finance and clawback of commission for early settlement, I would guess that the salesman is targeted rather than paid commission directly as they don't seem to give a toss about clawback.

What is unusual about this kind of finance is that the dealer decides the rate of finance, higher rates equals higher commission, they can offer 0% finance but have to pay the lender for it.

All of the asset finance houses we deal with are neutral contribution at 11.9% - if you offer the customer LESS than that, you have to contribute towards it for example on £10k loan at 9.9% we have to give the finance company £350.

If we offer 0% interest they add circa 25% to the original capital cost so £10k 0% interest would actually be £12,500.

The difference with car manufacturers is that they are effectively finance houses themselves now so can fiddle the figures as much as they like - it’s not traditional asset finance.

R
Oh yes they do!!!! I used to be in that world 20 years ago and I made £75 in M&S vouchers PER referral to a now defunct Company NWS (North West Securities). They kept my mother very sweet. No claw back. However today (I know a senior chap at Bentley in Glasgow) they get paid more in finance commission than selling the car and it's paid month 2 or three to remove the need for claw back.

Sent from my awesome Samsung Galaxy Note 9

The thing these brands don't understand is the way they pay their staff is designed to not give the customer the best experience.

Audi for example, Merc etc. probably the same, have targets set out where each sales member has to sell say 15 used cars and 12 new cars each quarter to hit target. Target can give them 30-50% of their wage.
When they sell a car they have add on products, finance, gap insurance, wheel insurance, leather treatment and paint protection etc.
They have to have at least two of those added to make the car count on their target, sell a car with no add ons and it would knock one off your total.
That is why they often say "Take the Gap insurance and I will knock the price off the car so you get it for free."

Your guy who lost his rag was probably a week away from his quarter and still needed half a dozen cars to hit target, it could be the difference between him going home with £2000 in his pay packet and £4000.

Mate of mine says they all start to get very stressed, very pushy and not very nice when it has been a quiet quarter, as, quite understandably they are all worried if they can pay the bills.

So why do they do this?
Because the manufacturer is paying the dealer in the same way, they may have to sell 250 new cars each quarter to to get their bonus, miss out by 3 cars and it could could you £250k.

That is why you will suddenly get silly deals at the end of the quarter. You may be the last car they need to sell, they could give you the car for nothing and be £200k better off.

But if the managers are putting pressure on sales staff as they are pressured and they in turn are being pushy and rude to customers is that really any good for your brand long term?

I used to enjoy buying cars, I now hate it.
I ring up 5 dealers and say "I have seen your car and 5 others, I want to pay £xxx for your car, I have said the same to the others, who ever comes back to me first and says 'Yeah OK' will get my deposit".
It works, there will be one who bites.

I have had some silly deals doing that and far less grief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom