Was the OP having a bad day or...... (fill in the blank spaces!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
Some of you may not have seen this thread from a couple of days ago.

The OP was reasonable to begin but when a very knowledgeable member offered polite and alternative advice the OP immediately broke into a tirade of abuse.

He then clearly did not like being told that his behaviour was uncalled for because he once again launched into a series of pathetic statements, pseudo threats and childish insults

My good lady (who has a doctorate in Psychology) had some rather interesting observations as to the personality type behind this behaviour.

I am not posting it here to rerun the original thread, that is closed and rightly so and the OP is presumably banned, my query is this ; have you come across people (away from the safety of the keyboard) that escalate into a petty and uncalled for rage so quickly?

What a very sad thread that was and an embarrassing show by the OP.
I was watching some episodes of Police Interceptor the other seek, I was shocked at the verbal and physical abuse that the police get trying to keep society in order.
The OP of the thread reminded me of such people - an absolute disgrace displaying lack of basic education, respect and decorum.
I am sure his mother is proud. Sad just sad!

On one particular car forum that I was a member of there was a member that was perceived as being incredibly rude and obnoxious and, therefore, attracted rude and obnoxious responses to any thread or reply that he posted. You knew that as soon as he became involved in a thread then the thread would end up going downhill fast, whether it was through his replies or others replying to him.

When I came to selling the seats from my car he was the first to make me a genuine offer and so a deal was struck.

When I came to deliver the seats to his house I knocked on his door with a sense of not knowing quite what to expect.

I spent the next hour talking to one of the most likeable, knowledgeable and engaging people you could wish to meet. It just seemed that neither he nor the internet were meant for each other as he didn't know how to communicate via the keyboard.

Devils advocate and all that, he was a knob, but some folk on here do like to preach about things which are really irrelevant in the scheme of things.

If you don't like what someone else is doing then don't participate in a thread, or expect to be challenged on your opinion.

But to answer the question, I would say not a bad day, just his general way of being 🤣

Devils advocate and all that, he was a knob, but some folk on here do like to preach about things which are really irrelevant in the scheme of things.

If you don't like what someone else is doing then don't participate in a thread, or expect to be challenged on your opinion.

But to answer the question, I would say not a bad day, just his general way of being 🤣
You can hardly go through daily life with that level of immediate confrontation in face-to-face situations though.

My wife said (in her professional context) to consider the possibility that the OP has had (possibly through no fault of their own) many setbacks in life due to poor upbringing, low educational attainment etc leading to low self-esteem. All of which makes him find engagement with others via the social norms very difficult and so takes an overly defensive stance.

She also suggested he was just a Grade 1 A-hole and social inadequate hiding his "bravery" behind a keyboard where there are few consequences and so his behaviour on Forums etc is reinforced :)

Never mind getting angry, how about those who make a public announcement that they officially block you from responding to them? Now can you imagine THAT???

If anti social behaviour goes unchallenged it multiplies.
'Modifying' a vehicle to the point it is poisoning all in its vicinity (and would never have made it to the road from new in that condition) is anti social. You can challenge what you believe to be wrong or you can recede into the background and lose your voice forever.

The proposed deletion of the swirl flaps was way more anti social than the ensuing rant (directed at me) and was merely him not knowing a better way to communicate (or unwilling to use it) and there's nothing I can do about that. I can however point out the wrongness in butchering cars for cheapness when the effects are felt by all.

Alternative view.

He 'may' be considerate and he 'may' have researched various subjects that have become very relevant in todays society.
He 'may' have arrived at his own conclusions that aren't entirely aligned with the ongoing barrage of legislation that is controlling our lives more and more.

There are enough threads already discussing the rights / wrongs of such things that are going to change the future so I'm not attempting to cause those discussions additionally.

If he had considered that what he was attempting to be of overall benefit, and not just merely and only selfishly motivated, he might have been offended at being told he should go to the back of the class and reconsider his actions.

Not so much having a bad day as p*ssed with another that may seemingly just take as gospel the biased, and possibly corrupt, directions we are being forced.

Just a thought, now where's me 'elmet.

Alternative view.

He 'may' be considerate and he 'may' have researched various subjects that have become very relevant in todays society.
He 'may' have arrived at his own conclusions that aren't entirely aligned with the ongoing barrage of legislation that is controlling our lives more and more.
Show you know the topic by explaining precisely the function of swirl flaps and the implications of their deletion.

Interesting topic this. In part shows just how much we rely on a "physical" presence. I see posts/replies between some long time members on here that make me catch my breath sometimes. They often verge on the edge of being offensive IMHO - we all know the members I refer to. Yet I am pretty certain they are not intended as such and the people concerned are in fact real pussycats but just don't have a keyboard filter. I must confess I've posted the odd thing before, that on reflection had me scrabbling to see if it was still editable!

An old boss once said if you composed an email rant, post it to pending first, go have a brew than come back and review it. Most times you'd either heavily edit it or delete!!

Alternative view.

There are enough threads already discussing the rights / wrongs of such things that are going to change the future so I'm not attempting to cause those discussions additionally.

If he had considered that what he was attempting to be of overall benefit, and not just merely and only selfishly motivated, he might have been offended at being told he should go to the back of the class and reconsider his actions.

Not so much having a bad day as p*ssed with another that may seemingly just take as gospel the biased, and possibly corrupt, directions we are being forced.

Just a thought, now where's me 'elmet.
That may be the case but you then put your argument forward rationally. You do not immediately launch into apathetic personal attack as the OP did.

That is plainly unacceptable surely?

Show you know the topic by explaining precisely the function of swirl flaps and the implications of their deletion.
I only have experience of the swirl flaps on the V6 642.
It has become a regular and often recommended work around for a failed motor to unplug and insert the resistor mod. Many if not most would say the swirl flaps on that engine have near insignificant advantages.

When the flaps on that engine disintegrate, being plastic, as long as the motor can still move the rails the ECU remains happy.
The actual emissions comparisons I freely admit I wouldn't have comparisons of.
But should such a mod be apparent the vehicle would be outlawed.

As a not unreasonable comparison from personal experience.
I paid well over £10K for the 651 Viano. It 'ran' beautifully. I put effort into creating that to be our multi purpose vehicle for ?? years till it gets forced from our roads by legislation.
At 1st MOT some 3 months later it failed emissions at 0.39 whatevers.
The engine bay is so congested with additional emissions measures I have concluded the engine should come out as working in situ is just not feasible.
However legislation has told me of things I need to comply with with my property business (I am a scabby, selfish and abusive property Landlord (apparently)).
So I needed transport so I picked up the 2009 211 estate. Runs v well and I'm enjoying that, and at £2,700 feels like cheap motoring.

The Viano sits waiting for me to remove engine and overhaul EGR system, injectors and much more while the engine is out. As I have the 211 it isn't today's priority.
So the outlawed Viano at 0.39 whatevers sits, while I run the 211 that passed its MOT just prior to purchase at 1.49 whatevers.

I find it difficult to appreciate very much of our legislation just because it's there.

But my previous answer was more around the general state of things rather than being very specific.
Are you able to tell me how many lives a disabled swirl flap system will destroy on the 2.7 CDI?
How will that compare to the numbers of Land Rovers that choke me regularly up here, that I assume are legal.

Last edited:
Well I will post that I have noticed that recently we have had a number of posts not treated with respect,I suppose as time goes on we will have younger members who will bring the worst of the net to our doors.
This forum should offer the best advice we can give not in the first couple of posts put the op's back up,taking the post in question,maybe better to simply say that the swirl flaps are badly designed and a major headache of owners with these engines but they do a useful function of cutting pollution.
It is not just this post,there was another early reply to a post saying" take it to a mb dealer",now I do not think that all that helpful as well,lets cut new members who ask a question thats been asked dozens of times before a little slack,lets be polite,it is what this forum is best at,the vast majority of members keep it civil and make their point.

Well I will post that I have noticed that recently we have had a number of posts not treated with respect,I suppose as time goes on we will have younger members who will bring the worst of the net to our doors.
This forum should offer the best advice we can give not in the first couple of posts put the op's back up,taking the post in question,maybe better to simply say that the swirl flaps are badly designed and a major headache of owners with these engines but they do a useful function of cutting pollution.
It is not just this post,there was another early reply to a post saying" take it to a mb dealer",now I do not think that all that helpful as well,lets cut new members who ask a question thats been asked dozens of times before a little slack,lets be polite,it is what this forum is best at,the vast majority of members keep it civil and make their point.
Agreed in principle.

I think very few of the experienced members would simply say " Take it to an MB Dealer", possibly if it is a fault almost certainly requiring Star the suggestion may be that the quickest and least costly option would be to find a local MB independent?

PS: The OP suggested that Bellow was my "Girlfriend", now I have never met the chap, and lovely as I am sure he is I can assure you he is not my type :)

I'm not going to quote anyone.
But there are ways of saying things.

Some times people come across aggressive/antagonist etc etc on text with no intention of that. People can't see the tongue in the cheek or the smirk.....I know I have been taken that way and as most of us are, we fight our corner.

Some people simply are antagonistic deliberately.

Some things typed can look ridiculous, but in mid conversation they would work, some type like that but others don't read it like that.

It would be a boring world if we were all the same, but I find on forums in general, people can't move away from an opinion of someone once the cast has been set....as in if someone has a disagreement with another member, in general they will always disagree with them as they don't like the online persona.

If we were all in a pub across a table I would imagine peoples views of one another would most likely change for good and bad.

I'm not going to quote anyone.
But there are ways of saying things.

Some times people come across aggressive/antagonist etc etc on text with no intention of that. People can't see the tongue in the cheek or the smirk.....I know I have been taken that way and as most of us are, we fight our corner.

Some people simply are antagonistic deliberately.

Some things typed can look ridiculous, but in mid conversation they would work, some type like that but others don't read it like that.

It would be a boring world if we were all the same, but I find on forums in general, people can't move away from an opinion of someone once the cast has been set....as in if someone has a disagreement with another member, in general they will always disagree with them as they don't like the online persona.

If we were all in a pub across a table I would imagine peoples views of one another would most likely change for good and bad.
Good observations and I agree with them but the point here is the immediate recourse of the OP to extreme personal insults etc, no attempt to rationalise his argument in any way. All he wanted to do was to attack anyone with a different viewpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom