Was the OP having a bad day or...... (fill in the blank spaces!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I agree, as I said in my post I will always see both sides of the argument; I just think maybe we think twice how we, (quickly sometimes I know,) respond to a first post by someone, the guy was asking for help and openly said he didn't know what he was doing, a little bit of extra advice on the repercussions of what he was trying to do would have gone a long way in my view.

And as someone else has already pointed out, if you have already had a shit day sometimes something like a curt response from someone can just be the last straw; as calm and collected as I am even I have been known to raise my internet voice :eek:
I still think that regardless of what sort of day you have had the aggressive and obnoxious responses from the OP are his character and not acceptable in any circumstance

The 'mod' is the removal or otherwise rendering inoperative a system that is there to control emissions (on the air in side - not exhaust aftertreatment) that was fitted by the factory. Without it, the vehicle would not have passed the relevant emissions tests and would not have made it to market. The resistor is fitted to fool the ECO into believing the system is still there and avoid throwing a fault code that would illuminate the EML and result in an MOT fail. A bodge - done rather than spend money on a proper repair.
Thanks for the explanation.

The resistor mod or egr shunt as it known prevents the engine from pumping low oxygen exhaust gas in through an open egr valve which lowers the inlet charge oxygen content. This prevents a proper burn of the fuel, loss of power along with plenty of black smoke or particulates.

The mod works on any car that has a vacuum controlled EGR and a voltage modulated MAF sensor signal output.

Not sure how it is enviromentally unfriendly to stop a diesel engine producing excessive smoke or particulates. Surely that is better for the environment?
It was the swirl flap mod he was asking about - not the EGR bodge. EGR deletion another poisonous mod that pushes NOx levels sky high and NOx in cities (as measured) is why cars are being excluded from them.
And along you come to facilitate that. Helpful?

You said, and I quote "Fix it properly and avoid poisoning the rest of us."

Why not just point out that by doing what he said he was trying to do would cause other issues; some of his first words explained that he didn't know what he was doing, isn't education the fore to everything?

I agree, as I said in my post I will always see both sides of the argument; I just think maybe we think twice how we, (quickly sometimes I know,) respond to a first post by someone, the guy was asking for help and openly said he didn't know what he was doing, a little bit of extra advice on the repercussions of what he was trying to do would have gone a long way in my view.

And as someone else has already pointed out, if you have already had a shit day sometimes something like a curt response from someone can just be the last straw; as calm and collected as I am even I have been known to raise my internet voice :eek:

You’re absolutely right. But if you don’t want a basking venomous snake biting you, don’t poke it with a stick.
Do you think he had to go and look those words up he subsequently hurled at me? Or was his true character mere millimetres beneath the surface? Really, all cooch coochy coo was going to cut ice with him? You've seen what he is.
And, you don't go down the route of doing what he was trying to do without knowing it is wrong. Presenting yourself as a decent bloke to eke out the method is as deceitful as his ultimate intention.

It was the swirl flap mod he was asking about - not the EGR bodge. EGR deletion another poisonous mod that pushes NOx levels sky high and NOx in cities (as measured) is why cars are being excluded from them.
And along you come to facilitate that. Helpful?
An EGR mod/shunt on a car with a vacuum operated EGR does not delete the EGR. It is still there, just closed at all times. No smoke and better MPG. Is NOx measured as part of the diesel MOT test?

Last edited:
Do you think he had to go and look those words up he subsequently hurled at me? Or was his true character mere millimetres beneath the surface? Really, all cooch coochy coo was going to cut ice with him? You've seen what he is.
And, you don't go down the route of doing what he was trying to do without knowing it is wrong. Presenting yourself as a decent bloke to eke out the method is as deceitful as his ultimate intention.
Equally, are you always kindness and light when things aren’t going right for you. Have you never been stressed by circumstances and bitten off someone’s head when they’ve done something relatively minor?

An EGR mod/shunt on a car with a vacuum operated EGR does not delete the EGR. It is still there, just closed at all times. No smoke and better MPG. Is NOx measured as part of the diesel MOT test?

No , simple smoke opacity test .

Equally, are you always kindness and light when things aren’t going right for you. Have you never been stressed by circumstances and bitten off someone’s head when they’ve done something relatively minor?
I direct any anger at whatever/whoever was the cause - me if necessary. I abhor people directing their anger at anyone who wasn't the cause and do my utmost not to do that.

Reminder: the guy was bodging an un-roadworthy car towards an MOT pass and I called him out on it. That's what this is about - and his subsequent reaction. Would it have had to be him suggesting deleting his front brakes (because it was going to cost him money to 'fix properly') before calling him out is acceptable to the forum? Which MOT regulations are mandatory and which are optional?

I have to laugh, I knew I shouldn't have got into this, but to let you into a secret, I actually resigned from the board of another site because the owner wouldn't do anything about someone like this. :D

Told you I always play devils advocate. ;)

I still think that regardless of what sort of day you have had the aggressive and obnoxious responses from the OP are his character and not acceptable in any circumstance
I didn't say they were acceptable at any point, only that maybe if he had been received with a little more grace the reaction may never have occurred. :cool:

I direct any anger at whatever/whoever was the cause - me if necessary. I abhor people directing their anger at anyone who wasn't the cause and do my utmost not to do that.
I suspect you may be in the very small minority of never having kicked the dog after a bad day at the office. (I’ve never owned a dog, but a few metaphorical ones have suffered.)

I didn't say they were acceptable at any point, only that maybe if he had been received with a little more grace the reaction may never have occurred. :cool:
For the umpteenth time - I couldn't give a toss about his reaction - only his proposed swirl flap bodge. His reaction was a side effect - but served to show what he was as a person. But that was obvious from what he was proposing.
I've seen this before, the old hands are settled and club together the newby has to be on best behaviour, where as really we should welcome people onto the site they may well be full of technical information we rely on in times ahead, we never know.
And that is a complete misreading of what happened and is happening.
Me as a 'settled old hand' is risible. What support are you seeing for me trying to get this bodging banished from the forum? Please point it out as I can't see any whatsoever.
But the guy who got banned - yeah, I'm sure he is 'full of technical information we rely on in times ahead'.

For the umpteenth time - I couldn't give a toss about his reaction - only his proposed swirl flap bodge. His reaction was a side effect - but served to show what he was as a person. But that was obvious from what he was proposing.

Out of curiosity why did you feel the need to react to his post?
You seem like a wise man.

Was it just for a reaction? You would never gain anything by replying to it the way you did.....just like me replying here, I want a reaction.

You not giving a toss, is starting to sound like you are getting wound up and irate about the replies you are receiving....same as the original OP in the original thread.

Do you not see how we are all the same but quite different at the same time 🤣

I would defend myself like you are, have done in the past and no doubt will do in the future.

It's fun because it isn't really real.

Out of curiosity why did you feel the need to react to his post?
As I have stated before - to rid bodging from the forum.
You not giving a toss, is starting to sound like you are getting wound up and irate about the replies you are receiving....same as the original OP in the original thread.
I'm still a long way from being abusive.
Do you not see how we are all the same but quite different at the same time 🤣
Our behaviour(s) make us different.
It's fun because it isn't really real.
But cancer from diesel particulates is very real - and probably not fun.

As I have stated before - to rid bodging from the forum.

I'm still a long way from being abusive.

Our behaviour(s) make us different.

But cancer from diesel particulates is very real - and probably not fun.
So have you achieved your goal?
Or are you getting more frustrated?

I dont disagree with any of your points, but all it is doing is bringing a debate that goes nowhere, sad as that is.

Lots of posts are misinterpreted for lots of different reasons.

Where as if we were in a workshop discussion/school/work face to face with a group of people something positive would likely come of it.
Trying to rectify Global warming and cancerous substance waste on a Mercedes benz website isn't the place to do it unfortunately.

Again, it's fun....the discussion....not necessarily the subject....let's not twist things 😉

The new, now banned, member that was rude to Bellow was obviously out of order even though it was kinda funny at the time.

I wonder if he will resurface with a new user name as others on here have done so obviously of late (since Jan 13th 2021 anyway)? It should after all be pretty easy to spot someone exhibiting such dramatic moodswings.

Last edited:
99 posts to discuss 14 posts.
I don't count the 15th post where Mr Speaker called order.

If only the original poster of the original thread could afford an EV all of this would be irrelevant.
He should have worked harder at school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom