Was the OP having a bad day or...... (fill in the blank spaces!)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As I have stated before - to rid bodging from the forum.
Doesn't it depend what the bodge is? Using a matchstick to fill in a slightly misplaced hole in a door for the last screw on a handle is a well trodden bodge that I would think is completely harmless.

However, I completely agree that bodging anything that could result in harm to anyone anywhere should be discouraged as much as we can. I accept, without needing to understand, your objection to the swirl flaps bodge - I have no reason not to accept because it's never going to be something I'll want or need to do (because I'll never own a diesel vehicle).

But someone who is considering doing a bodge needs more than 'Don't do it' to convince them that they shouldn't. If you say to a child "You must look both ways before crossing the road", they may or may not do so. But even if they did they could still get run down because you didn't add "to make sure the road is clear, and if it's not clear keep looking both ways until it's clear to cross safely."

"Yes but it's reasonably certain that swirl flaps poster is an adult, and he should know better", could be your response. Relying on adults to know better is unwise. I made that mistake many years ago when supervising the loading of submarine telephone cables and repeaters on a cable ship destined for the Pacific. As a joint venture with a Japanese telecoms company, some of the work was being done by their staff. I was assured that the highly qualified Japanese engineers had received training in inspecting the joints between cables and repeaters (amplifiers) so when I went to their teams and checked that they had X-rayed every joint, they assured me that they had. They confirmed that there were no problems. What I was naive about was the cultural or linguistic differences between English and Japanese. To us when something is X-rayed the X-ray is examined to determine whether there are any issues (occlusions in the moulded sealing compound in this instance). To the Japanese it just meant that an X-ray had been taken! Fortunately I cottoned on to the difference after only four of the hundreds of joints had been completed and was able to get them analysed and the process corrected before any more slipped through the net. What I'm saying is that even clever people need to have things explained clearly or they risk getting it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least no one has suggested that the OP of the OT should have his balls fed through a mangle, and of course be denied use of the NHS,

yet.
Too good for him says I! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

That wasn't serious in case that generates another thread 😁👍

Reactions: m80
I didn't say they were acceptable at any point, only that maybe if he had been received with a little more grace the reaction may never have occurred. :cool:
A final comment from me.

If I had received what I thought was a challenging or confrontational comment in response to a post then my reaction would have been to either ignore it or give my reasons for my proposed action and have a civilised debate

I would not immediately decide to move to the puerile, childish, hostile posturing and obnoxious behaviour that triggered the discussion in this thread.

👍👍

For the umpteenth time - I couldn't give a toss about his reaction - only his proposed swirl flap bodge. His reaction was a side effect - but served to show what he was as a person. But that was obvious from what he was proposing.

And that is a complete misreading of what happened and is happening.
Me as a 'settled old hand' is risible. What support are you seeing for me trying to get this bodging banished from the forum? Please point it out as I can't see any whatsoever.
But the guy who got banned - yeah, I'm sure he is 'full of technical information we rely on in times ahead'.
Which is exactly what I said, he reacted to your reaction. I can see we are never going to agree so can we call it; "everyone has their own opinion", I need to go home and have tea :banana:

And sorry but YOU miss read what I said, I didn't say anyone was trying to get him banned only that there will be a perceived clique, in any forum and that maybe we should be more welcoming.

Re the technical info, maybe the next one might be a genius. :dk:

Anyway my stomach is still rumbling, night all.

Putting the technical aspect aside I’m not sure that we need a new thread about another thread.
Don’t go encouraging them to start a 3rd. 🥴

I find it truly astonishing that the culprit in question is being defended. Bad day or not (we all have our fair share) his subsequent posts were inexcusable.

Had he came on here asking how to bypass the Video In Motion he’d have been told ‘abruptly’ that this ‘mod’ was wrong.

Good riddance to him.

Is that the bodge then?

I read the bit about a “mod” but lots of people on this forum mod their cars. The line about a resistor and a plug make no sense to me whatsoever.

I’ve a feeling that I’m not alone here but nobody will admit it.
I did this resistor fix,mod,bodge whatever it’s name is a couple of years ago on my om642 E class . The reason it gets done is that the inlet manifolds gunge up with a black sludge which is caused by the egr gases being recycled through the engine . The swirl flaps that sit in the inlet manifolds then stick slightly in this gunge causing the car to go into limp mode .
The £1 resistor prevents this happening by locking the swirl flaps open and preventing future limp mode .
To not do this £1 fix means removing the inlet manifolds and cleaning them , maybe 8 hours work ?
My intention is to probably remove the resistor when my oil cooler seals start leaking and get replaced , up until that point I’m not prepared to pay the near £800-1000 to do this .

I did this resistor fix,mod,bodge whatever it’s name is a couple of years ago on my om642 E class . The reason it gets done is that the inlet manifolds gunge up with a black sludge which is caused by the egr gases being recycled through the engine . The swirl flaps that sit in the inlet manifolds then stick slightly in this gunge causing the car to go into limp mode .
The £1 resistor prevents this happening by locking the swirl flaps open and preventing future limp mode .
To not do this £1 fix means removing the inlet manifolds and cleaning them , maybe 8 hours work ?
My intention is to probably remove the resistor when my oil cooler seals start leaking and get replaced , up until that point I’m not prepared to pay the near £800-1000 to do this .
Thou shalt be taken from this place to another place,
there you shall be caused to hang by the gonads, and tickled.

I’m sure Bellow will be along soon with some comment or other. 🤣🤣

I find it truly astonishing that the culprit in question is being defended. Bad day or not (we all have our fair share) his subsequent posts were inexcusable.

Good riddance to him.
I’ll have to plough through all 112 posts again, because I missed all those from club members defending the culprit. I’ve seen (and posted) many that have offered possible explanations for his unnecessarily confrontational reaction to a negative answer to his opening polite question. But I’ve seen no defence for his abusive rage.

As I have no dpf, and not a tree hugger is this wrong thread to ask why dose anyone repair Egr, flaps ect, when mb make it so expensive to fix, surely keeping a car going is more inviromentaly friendly as to scrapping

If everyone was that concerned with saving planet, would not the parts be the cheapest to replace ? No usually they most expensive.

For me egr is 85quid , map out 200, easy choice, if I had later Model would be oppersite

I have learned from this site , never to ask such a question, on anything emissions related

I guess op was not a member long enought to understand that

Well that’s an hour out of my increasingly shorter life 😱
And why oh why don’t people proof read their replies before posting?? Grammar Nazi I am.

If it's wrong for me to post on this thread, I apologise, I'm new and thought this was an egr thread ?

If I clamp the vacuum line on my 04 ml270 my issue goes away, no dash lights or anything, so do I need to do any diodes or resistors for just the EGR ? As all it has is the vacuum line.... My first DIESEL merc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom