Was there ever a 2.2 diesel G class???

• Thread starter Deleted member 126969
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 126969

My ageing uncle has just bought a 2006 G class with what he says is a 2.2 diesel engine. Sadly, he is pretty confused a lot of the time these days so I wouldn't be all that surprised if what eventually gets delivered is nothing like what he said... Last time we spoke he said it was another Kangoo. Sadly, he is both a magnet for, and a perfect victim of, scumbag used car dealers. His last purchase was a Kangoo. Supposedly had a tow bar that he wanted. It did...but it was in the boot, along with the bent and twisted frame having been ripped off by the previous owner. Of course, the floor was also wrecked. It also had a knackered injector pump so after shelling out a few grand to get it fixed at the main dealer, it lasted just over a year before failing the Control Technique (he lives in France) and getting scrapped.

But anyhoo, was there ever such a thing?? A 2.2D G class?? The admittedly quick look I had on Wiki says 2.3 was the smallest option. I dread to think what kind of shed he's bought this time round. It's entirely possible he has just read the first couple of digits of 2298 and said 2.2 when in fact it's a 2.3 of course, or the paperwork from the dealer is wrong..or...

TFL

Good evening I’m currently eyeing up a c180 kompressor coupe 07 plate manual gearbox with realitivley low mileage being 67 k does these type of merc s need a new drive chain around this sort of mileage and what key components of the car complys to maintaining a good car

I don’t think the G-Wagen was built with such an engine : there was a 230G/E with the M102 petrol engine and a 240GD with the engine from the 240D .

There were odd variants built for different markets - Italy , for example got a 200 for fiscal reasons .

Since your uncle is in France , there were variants built for the French military by Peugeot in collaboration with MB and fitted with Peugeot engines - perhaps he has acquired one of these !

It must be frustrating for you to think your uncle is a little vulnerable and could be sold a 'pup' by some unscrupulous swines, but G wagens are pretty tough and (I would think) infinitely repairable, like this one I see quite regularly around my way.....

G wagen.jpg

I wish him luck :thumb:

Thanks chaps. I hope he hasn't ended up with a rogue - he didn't even look under the bonnet and I'm not even sure if he drove it. Frankly, I think he should be in care rather than fretting about buying cars, but he was a stubborn & awkward bastard his entire life and no sign of that changing. I do what I can, but it's very little really. He was supposed to have sold his house and be coming back to the UK, but it happened just as Europe went into lockdown, so who knows if the sale is still valid? He certainly doesn't!!

Maybe one day I'll find out what he got and fingers crossed, it'll be a good-un. His last good car was a Nav-4 that he loved and did him well until it rotted away.

If I ever get a picture of it from him, I'll post it up for your perusal and advice!

Reactions: 219
Well, it turns out the G was in fact a C, although he still hasn’t actually got it yet.... He paid €2800 for the thing. “Fully serviced and new Control Technique”. Yep, he’s gone to yet another scumbag ex-pat used car dealer. Good grief. It’s already two weeks past the agreed delivery date and apparently the bloke gets angry when my uncle calls him about it. To be fair though, it must be annoying to deal with my uncle given his dementia.

Oh dear....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom