Washer jets.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuannyH

Car
C class premium plus
On my c class 2015 the washer jets don’t squirt even half way up the screen. Is this normal? The wipers catch the water and wipe it across ok but as the jets are not mounted on the bonnet they are hard to get to. Any thoughts?

It's not broken, it works as intended, what is it you are asking?

I’m asking if the spray should be much higher, like a normal car would be. Covering the windscreen, not just above the blades

I’m asking if the spray should be much higher, like a normal car would be. Covering the windscreen, not just above the blades
If the spray is set to be too high on the screen to it just goes over the roof at speed.

Where are the jets mounted if not on the bonnet?

Near the base of the wipers

On the panel.
I have not seen jets placed there.

If they are hitting the screen just above the wiper blades at all speeds then they are properly positioned. A lot of the later MBcars need a special tool to adjust the washer jet.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ok many thanks for that! As I drive along the wipers do take the water up and across the screen. It just looks a bit lame when your stopped and do it. As long as that’s how they’re meant to be I shall leave well alone

I just wish the water hit the screen before the wipers move, the first drag is on a dry screen :mad:

I am going to guess that the wipers and jets were designed for Europe, and the wipers swipe in the other/opposite direction/setup.

In the UK, one of my 'drivers' wiper jets is so badly positioned it is just pointing near the base of the wipers arm, naturally with the wipers getting in the way. This is what leads me to wonder about my first point.

I drive a 2022 w212, and the 3 washer jets are clipped into the scuttle panel.

As said, you can get a wiper adjustment tool. I bought a non-genuine one off eBay for about £5 delivered. It fits the 2 horizontal slots in the washer nozzle/ball. Fits a treat, but after much playing around I couldn't improve on the rubbish positioning it was in to start with.

I just wish the water hit the screen before the wipers move, the first drag is on a dry screen :mad:
A massive bug bear of mine as well :mad:. I have had much lesser cars than my current AMG that start the pump a second before the wipers start to move. Far more sensible, I am sure MB have a perfectly reasonable explanation for this design fail. :rolleyes:

Its a compromise from the manufacturer, basically we are asking a jet of water to behave the same in a 20 MPH breeze as it would in a 150 MPH (Autobahn... officer ) gale and to hit the same fixed target.
I am not sure if anyone has designed a speed/wind direction sensitive pump yet, but that would sort it.

Through it's history MB (and others no doubt) have tried all sorts of different nozzles/hoses from the 'eyeball' ones we all remember from days gone by.
Basically one would think that if the spray nozzles are on a fixed surface of the car spraying at a fixed target why would they ever need to be adjusted if the pump was working as designed?

My guess is so they can make one nozzle that can be fitted to both LHD and RHD cars and they can be set to compensate for build tolerances ...cheaper for them.

OP , if its any consolation the water jets on my car have no adjustment on them that I can see.

MB's already addressed the problem Petrol Pete. The water jets are incorporated within the wiper blades. God knows how much the blades will cost when they wear out.

Whilst on the subject. My car has a heated wash wipe system, does anyone know how it works. There is a auxiliary pump in the engine compartment that apparently has something to do with it, but looking at a diagram, that's connected to the cooling system. :dk:

For my w212 heated system, its just the nozzles that are heated. There must be little heater elements in each nozzle, as the pipes, nozzle and a double strand loom all come pre assembled as one piece and plugs into an electrical connector down by the washer tank when you have the LHS wheel arch liner out. There could be a heater in the washer bottle too, but I haven't investigated that.

I had to replace my line when the central ball popped out of the nozzle, leaving a gaping hole resulting in washer fluid gushing out at high flow rate but low velocity, and therefore basically pouring into the scuttle panel instead of going on the windscreen.

MB's already addressed the problem Petrol Pete. The water jets are incorporated within the wiper blades. God knows how much the blades will cost when they wear out.

Whilst on the subject. My car has a heated wash wipe system, does anyone know how it works. There is a auxiliary pump in the engine compartment that apparently has something to do with it, but looking at a diagram, that's connected to the cooling system. :dk:
Approx £110 if you fit them yourself......
There are heated elements in the blades themselves, so if you look to replace make sure you get the correct heated ones as non heated are available.

I think mine may have that Spiky Mikey. Grockel would they be dealer parts only.

I think mine may have that Spiky Mikey. Grockel would they be dealer parts only.
I believe so, you can find them on eBay buy only on the dealer ebay shops. I'm led to believe that some after market places offer them for sale but don't fit or give the wash function.
Just a reminder, you can get heated and non heated so make sure you buy the correct ones!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom