Washer not working, SAM ok, new stalk. No power on wire out of SAM,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stampy

Car
2003 220cdi estate
So I’m about done with the Dam car. Washer doesn’t work. No power at pump. No power on wire front SAM going to pump. I’m aware no fuse , it’s electronic. Swapped to another front SAM unit . Same problem. New multi control stalk switch fitted. Same problem. ICARSOFT diagnostic tool say open or short to ground on power to pump. Checked for short to ground. Checked for power as stated no power coming out of SAM unit. Same on the other SAM unit. Is there a way to BYPASS it. A wire I can cut or spice into to bring a feed to the pump ? Wiring diagram for the feed to front
SAM to check inputs ???
Any help appreciated
Recently been sat for months due to EIS falling. New one fitted after it eventually arrived. Posted from U.K. to France ended up in USA . Took nearly 2 months to arrive, then snapped a stud in each of the left hand wheels. Oh and had to drill one of the bolts holding the airbag on the steering wheel as was sized , Running out of ideas that don’t involve petrol and matches

The input to the front SAM is via CAN, you cannot check any individual input control lines. Are you sure the second SAM is good? A friend of mine had the same issue but on a W212 car. The driver circuit on the front SAM had blown, possibly as a result of a failing washer pump (even if that should not result to a SAM failure. Now that you have two SAM units, easy to dismantle one and check if any visible component failures.

The SAMs can disable the feed when they see issue.
Cycling the ignition should restore the SAM if it has done that.

Just in case you're up the garden path looking the wrong way.

The SAMs can disable the feed when they see issue.
Cycling the ignition should restore the SAM if it has done that.

Just in case you're up the garden path looking the wrong way.

Very correct. It could be as simple as a broken washer pump and both SAM units fine.

Have you checked, at the pump connector the following
a) resistance of the pump (i.e check the pump motor) is something sensible (i.e not open circuit and not short circuit)
b) resistance between ground wire and the body (i.e check ground connection)
c) resistance between power wire and the power wire at the SAM connector (i.e check power connection)

As others say, once SAM has detected an issue it will probably just turn off the power to the washer pump, and diagnostics is telling you theres an issue between SAM, pump and ground.

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom