Washing advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model X & Mercedes W212 /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Just got a used pressure washer and gave car a clean today, looking perfect. Just rinsed it with washer and dried and already looks miles better. Although I know I need to do a lot more haha

Was just wondering if you could let me know what cleaning product brands you use, and what polish/wax etc.

What's the correct procedure? I assume rinse with pressure, and wash with wash mitt using shampoo, the dry and either wax or polish?

Cheers

Pressure wash, 2 bucket wash with mitt and a good shampoo like Megs Gold Class, then rinse.
Dry with microfibre cloths then polish with something like Autoglym Super Resin Polish (good for silver cars) then seal with a good wax of your choice. Finally a coat of wipe on wipe off Sonax Brilliant Shine Detailer.

Thats my regime and once a year clay bar the car to get rid of pollutants and dirt/tar embedded in the paint. It feels like glass when this done. Claying is usually done after shampooing the car. You must repolish and wax again after claying to protect the paint.

Thanks a lot for this, will get this done either tomorrow or over weekend.

Really appreciate your detailed response, will make a thread with photos when done :)

You could register and have a browse on the detailing world forum, ask questions on various topics and get answers from experienced guys.. you will very quickly learn how to wash safely, decontaminate your paintwork and even machine polish your paint. also take a look at slims detailing they are based in London and are a very good detailing company..

You could register and have a browse on the detailing world forum, ask questions on various topics and get answers from experienced guys.. you will very quickly learn how to wash safely, decontaminate your paintwork and even machine polish your paint. also take a look at slims detailing they are based in London and are a very good detailing company..

Cheers will look into this

We also have a CLK btw.

You'll get even more confused by browsing detailingworld. Half the people on there are pushing products that they have or havent used.

Here's what I do for our fleet:
Wash wheels first - they are sealed with a sealant so sponge and soapy water plus an assortment of brushes does the job. Rinse arches very thoroughly to remove mud and salt deposits.

Pressure wash bodywork (excluding the soft top) sometimes if they are filthy, otherwise hose-jet rinse, then 2 bucket wash with sheepskin wash mitt and Race Glaze AquaBathe ph neutral wash n wax shampoo. Gold Class is not ph neutral is shortens the life of wax.

Rinse off water beads with Race Glaze water filter. Dry shuts and boot etc.

Walk away.

That's my std wash.

Every year roughly this time the cars are clay barred, pre-wax cleaned and waxed with Race Glaze 55 or Black Label. I re-wax late summer. Every 2-3 years they get a machine polish.

The whole idea of a polish, sealant and then top up/rinse aid/quick detailer is making more work than you need to do. A good wax will save you time and though may cost you more than supermarket products, actually costs you less over time due to far greater durability and less often application. Most people get 5-7 years out of a tub of wax like Zymol, Swissvax etc - even if they cost £60-100 a go, that peanuts per year.

I largely stick to either Race Glaze or Kenotek products, really Cannot Recommend A Purchase of AutoGlym, especially the red label Super Resin polish. It just leaves chalky dust everywhere, white marks on black trim, residue around trim/handles etc and lasts about 3 weeks, hence the need for a sealant. Products have moved on a long way since this was formulated in the 80's.

Last edited:
-Hose down
-Meg's Gold glass (with Megs wash mitt, non of that sponge business)
-Hose Down
-Meg's Microfibre

Then, once every so often
-Megs Wax (cant remember its exact name)
-DA Polisher for 30mins
-Canon SLR
-Take photo
-Post onto forum
seatc.jpg

Cannot Recommend A Purchase of AutoGlym, especially the red label Super Resin polish. It just leaves chalky dust everywhere, white marks on black trim, residue around trim/handles etc and lasts about 3 weeks, hence the need for a sealant. Products have moved on a long way since this was formulated in the 80's.

Each to their own Mark;) On silver cars, Autoglym SRP is perfectly fine and any white residue doesn't show anyway. When it has a coat of wax and a BSD applied afterwards its well protected anyway.

I've heard good things about Collinite waxes but don't know if the cost is justified on a silver car? I'm in the market for trying a new wax as the Farecla G3 wax I use has run out. Do you have any experience of using Collinite?

Here is pic of it done

E63 amg nice and clean

Attachments

• 20170219_125454.jpg
    20170219_125454.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 56
Cheers guys for the help! Greatly appreciated

-Hose down
-Meg's Gold glass (with Megs wash mitt, non of that sponge business)
-Hose Down
-Meg's Microfibre

Then, once every so often
-Megs Wax (cant remember its exact name)
-DA Polisher for 30mins
-Canon SLR
-Take photo
-Post onto forum
seatc.jpg
What colour paint is that? Looks like chrome!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Pressure wash

Dodo juice born to be mild shampoo - loads of suds a little goes a long way. Also smells great. Have tried other makes but not as good.

Tardis tar remover - get this on eBay best thing to remove tar and cheap if bought in bulk

Iron x to remove contaminants - great on wheels and lower bodywork

Autoglym vinyl, leather and glass cleaner for the inside

Poor boys wheel sealant - does a great job of sealing wheels - really easy to clean afterwards

If I'm short of time I finish off with Sonax detailer - absolutely brilliant - as recommended on this forum.

If I've got more time I'd use poor boys back to black - brilliant for dark cars - hides swirl marks / imperfections.

Finish with Collinite wax - fantastic stuff and a tin lasts ages. Although I fancy trying soft 99 which has rave reviews.

To a certain extent I think it is trial and error trying things until you get something you like.

Hope this helps.

Invest in a quality snow foam prior to anything allow to stand for 5 mins then jet wash followed by two bucket washing mits not sponge and in one direction no circling or rubbing..quality microfibre cloth to remove excess water.

See my thread in Detailing. Bilt Hamber Shampoo. Best ever and I've been in and around cleaning cars for a long time.

What colour paint is that? Looks like chrome!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

It's Elbow grease black, also known as Obsidian Black.

All done to my DA Polisher. :) And hard work.

Rinse of car with jet wash apply snow foam leave for about 5 or 10 minutes
Wash with a good wool wash mitt rinse off again dry with a microfibre cloth
Then I use Wolfgang sealant and finally top it off with a wax

Go to Polish car cleaners, pay the fee and watch :D :D

Go to Polish car cleaners, pay the fee and watch :D :D

and end up with tonnes of swirl marks, water marks where they didn't dry it properly and a whole plethora of problems? No thanks :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom