Washing and Polishing.....But Not Detailing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scott_F

MB Enthusiast
Fastidious washing and polishing of cars isn't my thing but I would like to keep my latest car looking nice.

Although I've progressed beyond a bucket, old sponge and some washing up liquid, I only really want to wash the car and give it one coat of polish.

I am not interested in spending a fortune on six different fancy polishes or five different cloths and I won't be clay barring anything. If it isn't on sale in Halfords or on Ebay I probably won't be bothered to buy it.

I just want the car to be clean, have a nice shine and be free of swirl marks.

Any advice for washing products and a single decent polish please ?

If the car already has swirls you will need to either have them removed by a detailer using a dual action polisher, or use a polish yourself containing fillers. These will reduce the appearance of the swirls but not actually get rid of them. Autoglym Super Resin polish followed by their Gloss Protection is as good as any for what you want.

After that it is easy to keep on top of it by using 2 buckets with grit guards, a decent lambswool mitt, decent shampoo and a large drying towel. All of this is available in Halfords.

You won't remove swirl marks properly by hand polishing, but there are products that "fill" and help to visually remove them, by masking.

I can't name any, but others will.

The best option by far would be to use GTech, However, this is not available in Halfords...but just hear me out.

If you used a local GTech detailer i am sure for a "reasonable" cost they would remove all the swirl marks and use GTech products which will give you a deep shine with added protection.
I had mine done last year and the water and dirt still just seems to bead off it. A quick wash and its back to 99% of how it left the "detailers"

Thanks for the advice so far.

I think I should have been clearer in my opening post - I don't have swirl marks (yet !) and want to avoid creating any.

My basic kit was:-

Two large buckets, one for Autoglym shampoo, the other for clean water for the two bucket method of cleaning.
One noodle mitten for washing being very cheap but works.
One small bucket used exclusively for cleaning wheels/tyres.
One pack of cheap sponges which can be cut up into smaller pieces for nooks and crannies on wheels and for applying true gel.
One small (1L) bottle of Bilberry wheel cleaner dilutes so lasts ages.
One hand spray bottle.
One large micro fibre drying cloth, used by placing on paintwork and patting down, lifting to new section and repeat. Some have pockets in the corners so you can slip hands into making them less likely to fall on the floor.
One pack of micro fibre cloths e.g. Costco, used folded into a square, flipped over and turned out often during use to shake dried polish out.
AG Super Resin Polish which is a combination polish protector. Easy to apply to clean, rinsed but still wet car. Doesn't need applying at every wash but is easy to apply and take of.
A sponge applicator for AG SRP.
An artificial chamois for door shuts, door bottoms, bonnet slam panel etc.
A bag for clean cloths/sponges from your supermarket of choice which cn be loosely tied shut to keep dirt and dust out.
A bag for used cloths/sponges from your supermarket of choice.
And obviously a hose with Hozelock type fitting for connecting.

The sponges and chamois are easily cleaned and re-used. The micro fibre cloths & drying cloth can go in the washing machine as long as no fabric conditioner is used.

Last edited:
After that it is easy to keep on top of it by using 2 buckets with grit guards, a decent lambswool mitt, decent shampoo and a large drying towel. All of this is available in Halfords.

I've never found grit guards necessary. My lambswool mitts float at the top when I leave them in the bucket so never reach the grit at the bottom.

My basic kit was:-

Two large buckets, one for Autoglym shampoo, the other for clean water for the two bucket method of cleaning.
One noodle mitten for washing being very cheap but works.
One small bucket used exclusively for cleaning wheels/tyres.
One pack of cheap sponges which can be cut up into smaller pieces for nooks and crannies on wheels and for applying true gel.
One small (1L) bottle of Bilberry wheel cleaner dilutes so lasts ages.
One hand spray bottle.
One large micro fibre drying cloth, used by placing on paintwork and patting down, lifting to new section and repeat. Some have pockets in the corners so you can slip hands into making them less likely to fall on the floor.
One pack of micro fibre cloths e.g. Costco, used folded into a square, flipped over and turned out often during use to shake dried polish out.
AG Super Resin Polish which is a combination polish protector. Easy to apply to clean, rinsed but still wet car. Doesn't need applying at every wash but is easy to apply and take of.
A sponge applicator for AG SRP.
An artificial chamois for door shuts, door bottoms, bonnet slam panel etc.
A bag for clean cloths/sponges from your supermarket of choice which cn be loosely tied shut to keep dirt and dust out.
A bag for used cloths/sponges from your supermarket of choice.
And obviously a hose with Hozelock type fitting for connecting.

The sponges and chamois are easily cleaned and re-used. The micro fibre cloths & drying cloth can go in the washing machine as long as no fabric conditioner is used.

Thank you.

A couple of questions:

- What's the two bucket method ?
- What's a noodle mitten ?

Thank you.

A couple of questions:

One bucket with your car shampoo in, the other clean water, to rinse your noodle mitten in, before putting it back in your shampoo bucket. Noodle mitten is made of micro-fibre material, fashioned into 'noodles' :)

You won't go far wrong with an Auto Glym kit Scott (shampoo - polish - wax).

A plentiful supply of micro fibre clothes come in handy too.

Thank you.

A couple of questions:

Mitt example - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002PX296S/?tag=amazon0e9db-21 which is what I used….for the price, I would buy a couple/three because you want a spare in case you drop one mid-wash but only use the noodle side on paintwork; don't be tempted to rub a stubborn bit of guano or baked insect with the rough side.

Two bucket method-worth typing 'Two Bucket Wash' into YouTube if unsure. Essentially as described above and the number one rule is that the having used the mitt on the car, before it goes back into soapy (or Autoglymy :D) water, it is rinsed first. Soap-car-rinse-soap-car-rinse-soap…..Simples

Last edited:
Some guys make it seem WAY too hard.

Key points.

1. Use loads of soapy water to keep the dirt washing down (always use a car shampoo - AG is good)
2. Rinse with a hose/pressure washer.
3. Dry gently with a microfibre cloth.

Between 2 and 3 you can try AG Aquawax.... makes it shiny.

Never do this any of this in hot direct sun.... car dries too quick

£24 for a plastic bucket !!

My life already ! Are you trying to ruin me ? Do I look like a rich man ??

The price probably has more to do with the grit guard (patented design by another company), than with the cost of plastic it is made of. If all you use is Swissvax then why not have a bucket too? For harmony. Meguiars are only margnially cheaper at £19.95.

More realistic prices and decent service (there are others but this is the main one I use-give good advice over the phone too) Car Care Products | Detailing Products | UK - Clean Your Car but for out and out cheapness Scratch Shield Grit Guard Buckets - 20 Litre Buckets Wash & Rinse Method - Valet | eBay for example

Edit- Don't be tempted to resort to the small builders buckets for anything other than wheels and tyres unless you use two for soap and two for rinsing. You need the volume of water so you don't try and eek out a small supply which increases the chance of dragging grit/dirt over the paintwork.

Last edited:
More realistic prices and decent service (there are others but this is the main one I use-give good advice over the phone too) Car Care Products | Detailing Products | UK - Clean Your Car but for out and out cheapness Scratch Shield Grit Guard Buckets - 20 Litre Buckets Wash & Rinse Method - Valet | eBay for example

This is what I have used for the past 6 years. Same buckets but with a different sticker on them. Dropped them, kicked them and they haven't failed me once.

The price probably has more to do with the grit guard (patented design by another company), than with the cost of plastic it is made of. If all you use is Swissvax then why not have a bucket too? For harmony. Meguiars are only margnially cheaper at £19.95.

Grit guard or no grit guard, when it comes to something as mundane as a plastic bucket I'm more of a Poundland kind of guy !

I could then put something like this in it:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scratch-S...516?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a2bd8427c

Last edited:
Grit guard or no grit guard, when it comes to something as mundane as a plastic bucket I'm more of a Poundland kind of guy !

Scratch Shield Grit Guard Filter system for Car Wash Buckets valeting detail | eBay

I bought a pair of them a while back. They're okay. Might be too wide a diameter for a standard bucket though…………don't see any intrinsic reason why you couldn't snip a couple if rings off to make them fit a standard bucket.

Scratch Shield Grit Guard Filter system for Car Wash Buckets valeting detail | eBay

If you feel spendy. The grit guard is optional and 6 years on I cannot tell if it actually does something. Rinse the sponge gently and no sand or grit will ever lift off the bottom of the bucket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom