Washing and Polishing.....But Not Detailing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not being one to rush into anything, I have now ordered:

2 buckets with grit guards
1 noodle mitt
1 bottle of Autoglym polish (I already have some shampoo)

So........

- What is the best way to apply and remove the polish ?
- Do I need a lambswool glove for anything ?
- Can't I just bin all of the above and go back to using a washing up bowl, some Fairy Liquid and a grotty three year-old sponge like I did in the 80's when life was simple ??

You'll need some wax too protect all your hard work. If you dont want to be doing this frequently I'd suggest Collinite 476s as its a very durable wax and its also extremely easy to work with - just remember to apply it very thinly.
Also I wouldn't apply the AG polish you have to wet paintwork - just follow their own advice Advice & Guidance - Autoglym

You'll need some wax too protect all your hard work. If you dont want to be doing this frequently I'd suggest Collinite 476s as its a very durable wax and its also extremely easy to work with - just remember to apply it very thinly.
Also I wouldn't apply the AG polish you have to wet paintwork - just follow their own advice Advice & Guidance - Autoglym

When did washing a car become so complicated ??

Is a microfibre cloth used for both applying and removing the polish ?

Can be. Fold it up small for applying (so it is very like a micro fibre sponge) and a different, dry one quarter size (two folds) for buffing.

Just a thought but I ALWAYS use a foam applicator for polish and wax and then cloths.....(differing varieties depending on mood:D), for removing residue and buffing.

.......but its all about personal choice.....

ATB;)

Interesting piece on grit guards HERE from Polished Bliss which surprised me this morning.

Very interesting, kind of reinforces what I've been doing for years.

I have one, in my rinse bucket, to scruff the wash mitt against and shift the trapped bits. Wash bucket is just dipped into the top as flat as possible.

I bought a couple of microfibre cloths via Ebay for £3.95 each and they are good quality.

However, my local Morrisons is currently selling packs of three microfibre cloths for £2. I don't know about their quality but they are Triplewax branded.

Scott
If you can get into a Costco pick up the microfibre cloths in there £12 for 36 good quality too its what I use.

Shampoo find your local Autosmart rep and pick up some Duet. Its roughly £18 for 5 litres but you only use around 50-60 ml per wash so will last ages.

Polish
Finishkare fk1000p is another which is good value for money and lasts for ages on the car. The tins last forever too. Circa £20 for a tin.

Polish applicator s buy them of eBay only. A couple of quid for 10 shipped from Hong Kong.

A bit of hunting around will save you a fortune buying retail stuff from Halfords and give a better job.

Forget everything everyone else has said, you can't wash, dry, polish or wax a car in direct sunlight with good results..its just not possible. Always wash and wax when your cars in the shade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom