Washing machine pump broken

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
Hi all,

I've had a Candy CE 104 washing machine for over 10 years and it has never let me down once. I only use it twice a week so it hasn't been that heavily used. Yesterday I noticed a problem where everything went as nornmal but when everything finished the water was still in the machine. I thought I'd overloaded it but when I tried another wash same problem. I have looked at the drainage hose and there looks to be no blockage. Also the belts are still ok on the drum. Therefore the pump must have gone. I typed the model of mine in Google and the pump is a generic part and costs only £10. As the washing machine still looks in good order is it worth me buying the pump and fitting it myself ? It doesn't look that difficult a job.

Gary

Sounds worth trying at that price .

If you have a problem getting the pump , try www.cpc.co.uk who do all sorts of parts for both white and brown goods .

Might be worth taking apart first - could be eg a coin trapped in the pump and jamming the impeller .

The pump should be quite accessible at the front ( although I havent checked your model) and you should first check its not got a sock in it! ( they have to disappear to somewhere!:D)

Is the machine completing the cycle, it may be a filter blockage preventing the cycle completion and not the pump.

Thanks a lot everyone. I'll pull the hoses off the filter and check it's not blocked. The pump is in the bottom right corner just inside the back of the washer so looks easy enough to take off and take the hoses off.

Is the machine completing the cycle, it may be a filter blockage preventing the cycle completion and not the pump.

Yeah, try this first. In the various machines I've owned there's been a trap accessible at the lower front which can get blocked with gunk (esp after 10 years!).

If that's not it why not just change the pump - saves you £100's.

Thanks a lot everyone. I'll pull the hoses off the filter and check it's not blocked. The pump is in the bottom right corner just inside the back of the washer so looks easy enough to take off and take the hoses off.
You machine does not have a filter,so lay the drain pipe on a bucket till all the water is gone.If you have any prob jusat ask as this is my job :thumb:

Surprising what can find it way into the pump impellor and stop it functioning.

In the none too distant past I have removed:

bits from one of those short biro pens

a shredded doggy poo bag (unused, fortunately....)

a small foreign coin

All of those were down to No 1 son stuffing jeans/shorts into the wash without checking the pockets.

You machine does not have a filter,so lay the drain pipe on a bucket till all the water is gone.If you have any prob jusat ask as this is my job :thumb:

Thanks a lot - I'll try this tonight.

Where was the forum when I needed it last night !! :)

I tried all the suggestions below.

1. Removed all hoses from the pump (nightmare job with those clamps) and under the drum to check for blockages. No blockages (I know the hose under the drum isn't blocked as I pulled it out and flooded the utility room !)

2. I have removed the pump from the washing machine and pulled the case off the motor part. No blockage of the impeller or the pipes leading out.

So basically I think the motor has gone unless there was something very small blocking the impeller that I have dislodged when I initially poked around in the pump (I flicked the impeller with my finger and it moved ok).

Rather than have to put everything back together and re-test the pump do you think it's best I just gamble that the pump has indeed broken and just order a new motor for £10.99. Now I know how to fit it I should be able to fix it if it is the pump that has gone.

Can you get a piece of cable and conect to the pump,than plug it in?

washing machine repairs mine job as well do for living:bannana:need all the money i can get as mine car is going to need brake pipes big job

washing machine repairs mine job as well do for living:bannana:need all the money i can get as mine car is going to need brake pipes big job
I know,i read on the other thread.:thumb:

Thanks for your help everyone. Now sorted. I checked the fan was still working by putting the machine on drain cycle. It span around so I had another quick check for blockages, put everything back together and it now works perfectly. I think there must have been something obstructing the impeller and I dislodged it when poking around at the start. Saved me £150 that has !

first time I've heard of a good poke saving £150 quid...thats what one usually costs!:D

Thanks for your help everyone. Now sorted. I checked the fan was still working by putting the machine on drain cycle. It span around so I had another quick check for blockages, put everything back together and it now works perfectly. I think there must have been something obstructing the impeller and I dislodged it when poking around at the start. Saved me £150 that has !

dont be suprised if it stops again, as the pump bearings wear and sometimes allow the rotor to move and then it jams, against the bearings or plate at the front or back of the motor.

Had it happen with a boiler fan, could hold it back & it would run, let go & it would stop again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom