Washing machines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stratman

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
As this forum is the fount of all knowledge I'll throw myself upon its collective wisdom.

Our old Hotpoint washing machine is terminally ill, if the one inch of play in the drum bearing and the accompanying noise is anything to go by. Replacing the bearing would seem to involve a certain amount of difficulty and a lot of dismantling so it's time for a new one.

My local PC World/Currys has Beko, Hotpoint, Bosch, Hoover and LG models among others. I've never regretted buying Bosch power tools and have had Hotpoint and Hoover 'white goods' in the past but not LG and I've haven't even heard of Beko.

What does the forum think? Any no-brainer buys or ones to avoid at all costs?

My old man used to swear by Bosch would never buy anything else! Me on the other hand just buy cheap as my wife could tear a bosch apart in 3 months!

Bosch but exercise care--- Bosch machines can vary in quality of construction- they have several "lines" and I suspect the cheaper ones are made by a different manufacturer/factory to the top line models.

Last edited:
saying that your old hotpoint is built like tank if u can replace bearing it will last u long time :bannana:

Just replaced our 10 year old heavily used Hotpoint with another Hotpoint;

Hotpoint

We paid £250 just 2 weeks ago so if you shop around. It's A++ which is great. Very quiet and does what it says on the tin and is cheap.

I used to think Bosch were great, my brother has had a couple of issues with his, we had an AEG tumble dryer which was also faulty recently

We had to replace our 2(!) year old Hotpoint washing machine a couple of months ago and we did so with a Miele and its been quite impressive so far; whisper quiet on a fast spin etc

The Hotpoint engineer that came out to attend to our washer was rather disparaging about the quality route they've gone down. The 2 year old washer that needed replacing retailed at £450, yet it actually cost Hotpoint £18 to get to Britain (including manufacture and transportation from China)

Siemens? Similar quality to Miele but half the price.

More expensive machines do have their advantages - bigger load, much quieter, hand wash cycles etc.

I would advise against a combo washer/drier and buy separate machines if you have space.

S

Miele for me. For a start, they guarantee to have parts available for 20 years after they stop producing a model. Our first one lasted 23 years before the programmer blew - we'd had one service call out before then. I could still have had it repaired for £350, but opted instead to buy a new model for £450 - uses half the water, and will last the rest of our lifetime! As for Hotpoint - we bought an Openspace oven just over 2 years go, had the engineers out twice in the first 3 months, and now (just after the 2 year warranty ran out) the self clean cycle won't work. Heck of a difference from the Gaggenau oven we had in the old house - which was expensive but fabulous!

Beko are Turkish and cheap. The dishwasher we bought was useless and we sold it after 1 year. However, we now have an upright frost free freezer that seems OK - but we have only had it for about 6 months. Friends in Southampton have a few rental properties with Beko white goods and are quite happy with them.

Just realised by Bosch Washer Dryer is 6+ years old now and has never missed a beat.

You could always buy a mangle - they last hundreds of years :D

Miele for me also hab mine for 10 years with 2 dirty kids ( probably 5 loads a week ) and still going strong. Touch wood for another 10 years.

Miele without dout.

Our Hotpoint is coming up for 9 years old without a problem so far! Mind you I leave to operation of such complex machinery to a suitably qualified operative :D

Miele for me too. We have 3 appliances by Miele and all are over 7 years old, they still look and operate like brand new.

Bosch are good (and are the same as Siemens) but steer clear of the lower price models as these are basically 'sub-brand' and built to lesser standards.

When I'm working in America the machine at my digs is huge LG which takes quite a hammering and seems to just keep going. However it is only a couple of years old so I can't comment on its longevity!

Last edited:
I bought LG , mainly due to the shiny bits , as a plus they play pretty tunes to you .
All good so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom