Washing my new C250

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reason42

Car
E250 Coupe 2014 facelift CDI AMG Sport Line
Hi all,

I've had my new car for nearly a month - love it to bits.

Now though it is getting a little dirty. I've owned other cars from new and I found that after a little while I could see slight circles in the paint work. On my Alfa 156 (met red) I once accidently dropped a sponge on the floor then put it straight on the bonnet and scratch it. I was devastated.

The car after that was a met black BMW. I didn't really love that car and washed it infrequently and didn't take too much notice of the paint work.

Now I have this Iridium Silver C250 with Pan roof and I'm terrified of marking it. To the point where I park it in the furthest part of the car park so that I don't get door dings.

Now I have to wash it and don't want to let anyone else make a mess of it.

My normal routine would be to rinse the car with a hose before using a bucket with warm water and a bit of turtle wax in it. I would then rinse it off again with the hose and let the air dry it. On the black BMW I would see water marks.

Is there a guide to cleaning a car so as to avoid the circle marks and other such OCD jarring issues?

No, no, no - you can't just wash the bloody thing.

You must immerse yourself in the world of detailing.

I'm sure the detailing crew will chime in later but IMHO all you need is an extra bucket to rinse your sponge before going back in the turtlewax and a chamois to dry it at the end.

Silver does not show the dirt. Leave it be!!

Tale no notice of Palfrem:D Detail. smeechmail. Your way is good enough just buy a decent leather or a toweling dryer to avoid the water marks. Personally I would ditch the Turtle Wax and use Meguiars Gold Class.

On the other hand check the detailing section and knock yourself out.

I see - a little further research reveals to me the 'two-bucket' method. Thanks!

Cripes. If you are going that way don't forget the grit guard in the bottom of the bucket.

Thought i would add my tuppence worth and say that using a sponge is one of the best ways to get circular (swirl) marks on your paintwork.A washmitt should be used along with the two bucket method .Palfrem is right but beware the world of detailing is very very addictive !

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've had my new car for nearly a month - love it to bits.

Now though it is getting a little dirty. I've owned other cars from new and I found that after a little while I could see slight circles in the paint work. On my Alfa 156 (met red) I once accidently dropped a sponge on the floor then put it straight on the bonnet and scratch it. I was devastated.

The car after that was a met black BMW. I didn't really love that car and washed it infrequently and didn't take too much notice of the paint work.

Now I have this Iridium Silver C250 with Pan roof and I'm terrified of marking it. To the point where I park it in the furthest part of the car park so that I don't get door dings.

Now I have to wash it and don't want to let anyone else make a mess of it.

My normal routine would be to rinse the car with a hose before using a bucket with warm water and a bit of turtle wax in it. I would then rinse it off again with the hose and let the air dry it. On the black BMW I would see water marks.

Is there a guide to cleaning a car so as to avoid the circle marks and other such OCD jarring issues?

Sure is mate :)

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/detailing-mbclub/115920-how-valet-your-mercedes-exterior.html

I always use 2 buckets after hosing it down first but the turtle wax NO. There is much better ways of protecting that paintwork by using car shampoo and wax that are easy to use when the car is dry, not to be confused with polish.
I am glad I am not the only one that parks at the furthest part of the car park to avoid damage to my pride and joy, I am lucky my wife understands, even when we do a big shop at Tesco`s.

Reggie

On the other hand check the detailing section and knock yourself out.
Ha, ha, ha!!!! :D

I'm sure this will upset the detailers, but the reality is that no matter how careful you are (unless you go to extreme lengths), over time you will end up with minor swirls from washing your car, so my policy is to do what I reasonably can to slow their formation while not spending a significant portion of my life washing my car. Here's what works for me:

I wash the car no less than once a fortnight, as I find that the dirt is harder to shift if I leave it much longer. I use one bucket, a hose with a trigger gun on the end and a couple of Meguiar's wash mitts plus some good quality shampoo (tip: Halfords often have 2-for-1 deals on car cleaning chemicals, so stock up when they do). I use one of the mitts for the wheels and underneath the sills, and the lowest section of the front and rear bumpers and nowhere else. That way the grimiest, grittiest, dirt doesn't contaminate the mitt I use on the rest of the car.

I start with the wheels and sills. Bucket of water with appropriate quantity of shampoo, wet with the hose, dip the mitt in the bucket, gently wipe over a quite modest area and rinse off. I then rinse the mitt with the hose each time before placing it in the bucket and moving on to the next area.

Once I've done all the wheels and both sills, I throw away the water and wash out the bucket to make sure there's no grit in it. Re-fill with fresh warm water and shampoo, then using the other wash mitt, I wash off the car starting on the roof, then the windows, bonnet, bootlid, doors/wings, front and finally the rear. I rinse off with the hose as I go and again rinse the mitt before I recharge it with soapy water from the bucket. I tend to wash an area no bigger than a single door without rinsing the mitt and hosing off the car. Finally I towel dry the car using micro-fibre & waffleweave towels. It takes me about 40 minutes to wash and dry the car using this method.

Once I've washed the car, I put the wash mitts and the drying towels in the washing machine and wash them according to their care instructions. That makes sure there's no residual dirt or grit in them when I come to use them next time.

After 3 years of this regime, my W204 showed only the very lightest swirling and that was only visible under bright lights. In fact, when I traded it in, the dealer asked me if I'd had it detailed in preparation for the valuation :)

st13phil said:
Ha, ha, ha!!!! :D

I'm sure this will upset the detailers, but the reality is that no matter how careful you are (unless you go to extreme lengths), over time you will end up with minor swirls from washing your car, so my policy is to do what I reasonably can to slow their formation while not spending a significant portion of my life washing my car. Here's what works for me:

I wash the car no less than once a fortnight, as I find that the dirt is harder to shift if I leave it much longer. I use one bucket, a hose with a trigger gun on the end and a couple of Meguiar's wash mitts plus some good quality shampoo (tip: Halfords often have 2-for-1 deals on car cleaning chemicals, so stock up when they do). I use one of the mitts for the wheels and underneath the sills, and the lowest section of the front and rear bumpers and nowhere else. That way the grimiest, grittiest, dirt doesn't contaminate the mitt I use on the rest of the car.

I start with the wheels and sills. Bucket of water with appropriate quantity of shampoo, wet with the hose, dip the mitt in the bucket, gently wipe over a quite modest area and rinse off. I then rinse the mitt with the hose each time before placing it in the bucket and moving on to the next area.

Once I've done all the wheels and both sills, I throw away the water and wash out the bucket to make sure there's no grit in it. Re-fill with fresh warm water and shampoo, then using the other wash mitt, I wash off the car starting on the roof, then the windows, bonnet, bootlid, doors/wings, front and finally the rear. I rinse off with the hose as I go and again rinse the mitt before I recharge it with soapy water from the bucket. I tend to wash an area no bigger than a single door without rinsing the mitt and hosing off the car. Finally I towel dry the car using micro-fibre & waffleweave towels. It takes me about 40 minutes to wash and dry the car using this method.

Once I've washed the car, I put the wash mitts and the drying towels in the washing machine and wash them according to their care instructions. That makes sure there's no residual dirt or grit in them when I come to use them next time.

After 3 years of this regime, my W204 showed only the very lightest swirling and that was only visible under bright lights. In fact, when I traded it in, the dealer asked me if I'd had it detailed in preparation for the valuation :)

The rare occasion I was the car I have a similar plan

Start with the roof, rinse, then the windows rinse. Bonnet and boot rinse. Then top part of body and rinse. Then lower part of body and rinse. Finally wheels....

I find the best way to get rid of the swirls is use a Brillo pad.......:wall bash:

If you use it in a straight line no swirls......no paint either..so no worries.

I can pick it up and detail it for free. Normally takes about 6 weeks:D

A few things you can do without getting obsessed. I've gone way past obsession and it's bloody expensive but I love it!

First, get a pressure washer - rinsing the car really well before you touch it is the biggest single thing you can do to limit damage.

Second, ditch the sponge and use wool or microfibre wash mitts - 2 ideally as Phil talked about.

Third, don't use a chamois leather, use a soft microfibre drying towel. The waffle weave towels are good when they are new but get a bit harsh with machine washing.

Finally, seal your paintwork and wheels with multiple coats of a good quality wax or synthetic sealant - it's make cleaning a lot easier and improves the appearance of the car.

HTH

Thanks everyone. I've taken on board all the advice. I will invest in a pressure washer and go for the microfibre mitts and drying towel.

Thanks!

Thanks everyone. I've taken on board all the advice. I will invest in a pressure washer and go for the microfibre mitts and drying towel.

Thanks!

As advised earlier in the thread i think the 2 bucket method/mitten method is best(i personally still use a proper chamois leather after)but be very careful if you use a pressure washer(i wouldn't use one on the paintwork but have on the wheel arches/underside).

A few things you can do without getting obsessed. I've gone way past obsession and it's bloody expensive but I love it!

First, get a pressure washer - rinsing the car really well before you touch it is the biggest single thing you can do to limit damage.

Second, ditch the sponge and use wool or microfibre wash mitts - 2 ideally as Phil talked about.

Third, don't use a chamois leather, use a soft microfibre drying towel. The waffle weave towels are good when they are new but get a bit harsh with machine washing.

Finally, seal your paintwork and wheels with multiple coats of a good quality wax or synthetic sealant - it's make cleaning a lot easier and improves the appearance of the car.

HTH
thnks mate :)

If you really want to go all out, coat your paintwork in C1. Nothing will beat it in durability and will recduce the chance dramatically in creating marring and swirls. Safe washes will become very easy.

KR
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom