Washing tinted windows

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep had mine about a year now - it is worth every penny
It was a revelation when I first started using one. I could even wash my Obsidian Black E63 in strong summer sunshine without leaving marks on it. I'll never wash a car without using it now.

It was a revelation when I first started using one. I could even wash my Obsidian Black E63 in strong summer sunshine without leaving marks on it. I'll never wash a car without using it now.

Any links, please?

I seem to recall John (Developer) having great success with one of these with his black E63.
Pretty much all of my fleet is dark blue or black and it's disappointing to see the blotchiness after washing - I've never been one for drying with a chamois or cloth.

TIMES they area changing, this lockdown means no more SUNDAY SPORT and all the METRO stations in Paris are closed . Our postman still delivers but we don't get THE MAIL ON SUNDAY..... That's enough for TODAY. :rolleyes:

Sunday Sport, jeez...remember that !?

@ringway I use one of these: Refillable 0ppm Water Filter (7 litre) but it's cheaper to buy a vessel from someone like Daqua, from whom I also buy Tulsion MB-115 Mixed Bed Resin.

There's some empirical evidence that tall, thin, vessels rather than short, dumpy, ones give better resin life when used for car washing so it's not just a case of "the bigger the better" for the vessel. I did speak with the guy at Daqua about this and he agreed there was logic to it, although he hadn't done any tests himself. This is because for car washing we're using a DI vessel on the end of a hose, so impure water is being fed through it pretty fast. In other applications such as window cleaning, a DI vessel is used to give a final "polish" to water that's already been filtered through a reverse osmosis process so it has far less work to do and the resin lasts much longer.

FWIW, I live in a hard water area (around 385ppm TDS) and I can do 7 or 8 complete washes (not just a final rinse) from new resin in my 7L vessel before it needs changing. The 11 litre vessel from Daqua filled with MB-115 resin (third one down on this page) seems to give resin life in a similar proportion. You will need to get a TDS meter too, so you can monitor the water quality and change the resin before the TDS level rises to high. I use a HM Digital TDS-3 sourced from Daqua as there are many "knock offs" that give erratic or misleading results, and find that if I let the TDS level get above 30ppm then I will get water spotting on the car if I just let it dry on its own. Below 30ppm everything's fine.

@st13phil

I just keep the car wet with the pressure washer (while washing) and then do a final rinse with the filter water - park the SL in the garage (my wife's car stands on the drive to dry) and job done!!

Beats washing the car in the rain :).

I also have the Race Glaze unit.

There are cheaper squat units but, I also researched that tall thin are better for our use.

@ringway I use one of these: Refillable 0ppm Water Filter (7 litre) but it's cheaper to buy a vessel from someone like Daqua, from whom I also buy Tulsion MB-115 Mixed Bed Resin.

There's some empirical evidence that tall, thin, vessels rather than short, dumpy, ones give better resin life when used for car washing so it's not just a case of "the bigger the better" for the vessel. I did speak with the guy at Daqua about this and he agreed there was logic to it, although he hadn't done any tests himself. This is because for car washing we're using a DI vessel on the end of a hose, so impure water is being fed through it pretty fast. In other applications such as window cleaning, a DI vessel is used to give a final "polish" to water that's already been filtered through a reverse osmosis process so it has far less work to do and the resin lasts much longer.

FWIW, I live in a hard water area (around 385ppm TDS) and I can do 7 or 8 complete washes (not just a final rinse) from new resin in my 7L vessel before it needs changing. The 11 litre vessel from Daqua filled with MB-115 resin (third one down on this page) seems to give resin life in a similar proportion. You will need to get a TDS meter too, so you can monitor the water quality and change the resin before the TDS level rises to high. I use a HM Digital TDS-3 sourced from Daqua as there are many "knock offs" that give erratic or misleading results, and find that if I let the TDS level get above 30ppm then I will get water spotting on the car if I just let it dry on its own. Below 30ppm everything's fine.

That's great, Phil.

Many thanks for such a comprehensive reply.

I rainX all the glass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom