Washing up liquid.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
T

tanuie

If you use washing up liquid will it get rid of all previous wax used on the car.

In theory yes but this said so would a strong solution of some Car shampoos anyway.

When you clay or polish a car it will remove any pre-applied waxes or sealants anyway though.

What was the reason you asked mate? Just for context :)

In theory yes but this said so would a strong solution of some Car shampoos anyway.

When you clay or polish a car it will remove any pre-applied waxes or sealants anyway though.

What was the reason you asked mate? Just for context :)
I read somewhere that if you used washing up liquid it would get rid of the old wax. I intend to clay the car anyway then polish it, many thanks for the reply.

If you are going to clay it anyway that will take everything off the surface rest for polish

Hi, washing up liquid contains A LOT OF SALT, don't use it. It sneaks through seams, behind trim and chances are you won't get rid of it all.

By the be, it a good anti fungal if you have toadstools in your lawn, but apart from that keep it confined to the kitchen sink
My brother used it a few times back in the day (before we knew better) on a car and within weeks, lovely brown patches developed / were enhanced

The Salt content is substantial (just think how much you add to dishwashers these days to get a similar finish....:eek:)

Fairies have lacy wings, and now we all know why, lol. Used washing up liquid once, when I was desperate, and know no better, but as others have said, avoid at all costs on your pride and joy. If you clay bar as you intend, then job done

Salt is a good moss killer if you have a brick paved drive prone to moss in the joints. I had a half a bag of rock salt left over last winter so I spread it all over my north facing drive. It's done an excellent job of keeping the drive moss free.

Driving home last Friday storm Callum was blowing sand off the beach at 60mph right into the side of my car for about a mile.

Should I do a special wash?

If you intend to subsequently clay, polish, seal, wax then not really an issue.

If solely to wash and dry - then avoid, unless going for the "rat look"

I read somewhere that if you used washing up liquid it would get rid of the old wax. I intend to clay the car anyway then polish it, many thanks for the reply.

Any time mate.

Sounds like you just need to wash as normal and the clay/polish will remove any current protection ready for a new coat.

You are right though Fairy Liquid would strip wax but I think that’s more an advisory for not using it as a car shampoo than anything. The process you have lined up will do nicely.

Make sure you post up the results. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom