Washing your car in the street could land you a £60 fine.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toobad

Car
GLC Sport X253
On GMB yesterday morning Piers Morgan asked if was OK for him to wash his Aston Martin outside his house. The guidance was that it would be considered a non-essential activity and that any cleaning should be limited to the safety aspect such as the windscreen, numberplate and lights. Even this is only permissible for key workers or if you have to use your car for any of the 4 approved activities. I guess a full wash is perfectly OK if done on your own land and not within 2 metres of a public area. So bear in mind the cost of breaking out the pressure washer could be £60 if spotted by the authorities or a nosey neighbour.

Personally, I'll just do what I've always done and leave the chauffeur to sort it out. I'm still doing my bit for the economy by not furloughing him, or my blunt roller for that matter. ;)

Is it not classed as a form of exercise?

Well i polished my car with W,W,W,A,W polish last night. Did it on my own drive, and i will do this as i feel fit . Started on it at 6pm finished at 6.45 all over tyres,, glass,,and bumpers . I can understand why people are told not to do it on road . With people passing by on the foot path . I see no one for days, only the helicopter above passing over every few hours .

I'd say it was work. Surely no-one enjoys washing their car? ;)

The fixed penalty is only £30 if you pay within 14 days. Probably not much of a deterrent to someone like Piers Morgan, who was reported to take home in excess of £22 million a year.

Well i polished my car with W,W,W,A,W polish last night. Did it on my own drive, and i will do this as i feel fit . Started on it at 6pm finished at 6.45 all over tyres,, glass,,and bumpers . I can understand why people are told not to do it on road . With people passing by on the foot path . I see no one for days, only the helicopter above passing over every few hours .
I wish we saw no one for days, on our street it is a daily procession of joggers, cyclists, delivery drivers, walkers and cars going back and forth. This morning I walked 200 metres to the post box and back and was passed by 5 joggers and 11 cyclists!

On GMB yesterday morning Piers Morgan asked if was OK for him to wash his Aston Martin outside his house. The guidance was that it would be considered a non-essential activity and that any cleaning should be limited to the safety aspect such as the windscreen, numberplate and lights. Even this is only permissible for key workers or if you have to use your car for any of the 4 approved activities. I guess a full wash is perfectly OK if done on your own land and not within 2 metres of a public area. So bear in mind the cost of breaking out the pressure washer could be £60 if spotted by the authorities or a nosey neighbour.

Personally, I'll just do what I've always done and leave the chauffeur to sort it out. I'm still doing my bit for the economy by not furloughing him, or my blunt roller for that matter. ;)
Don't worry soon no one will be able to afford a car anyway so problem solved.

I feel cleaning of cars is no harm to anyone and the police will need to use their discretion and understand that our personal vehicles are our main mobile source to shield against this virus and regular cleaning is a benefit to its functioning and safety. I may sound like im justifying this but i had a officers on 2 occasions that told me its not essential and i argued my case and told em to stop becoming enemies of the communities and public because before this crisis they dont weigh in half as strong as they are now, so left em the choice to write a ticket or keep it moving as i need to dry my vehicle and dont want water spots all over it.
they chose to move on.

Washing the outside of a car in the street will attract attention because in terms of the law it wouldn't count as a "reasonable excuse" to leave your property, so is actually an offence. Within the boundaries of your own property you can do what you like of course.

In practical terms someone washing their car on the street may be making it difficult for other to get past while maintaining the required 2 metre separation.

In practical terms someone washing their car on the street may be making it difficult for other to get past while maintaining the required 2 metre separation.
Especially when employing the use of a pressure washer!

Sounds a bit OTT, especially if people are washing on their driveways :confused:

I have maybe a couple of people walk by (in this quiet period) - more chance of catching something/spreading something whilst out doing exercise or shopping :wallbash:

I live in a secluded spot, with a farm at the rear of my back garden . And more people pass by the back hedge than in our lane .Dog walkers, and people pass by on a walk . We live in a waiting for god area ha ha, hope . you understand ..

It’s getting silly now, if
Washing the outside of a car in the street will attract attention because in terms of the law it wouldn't count as a "reasonable excuse" to leave your property, so is actually an offence. Within the boundaries of your own property you can do what you like of course.

Judging by that picture of Londoners opposite Parliament on the 'daft behaviour' thread, it’d be OK to wash a car on Westminster bridge, the Police would obviously look away.......

Well I'll be washing my car as and when, I do have a driveway and I'll be 2m at least from the road so I'm outdoors getting some fresh air, stopping myself going mental but enjoying looking after my car and getting some sunshine.

I appreciate we have to take a pragmatic approach to this lockdown, if it's as contagious and harmful as it seems then of course we do. At the same time you have to maintain a balance and not going beyond the realms of common sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom