Waste of money or not?

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by Harrythedog, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Harrythedog

Harrythedog Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC 250 Sport Premium+
    BBC News - Parliament repair bill 'could top £3bn'

£3b to repair The Houses of Commons. Tough one this as it's an iconic and historical building but there are also many other worthy causes that need money spent

2. finisterre

finisterre Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Vito, Z4, 530i touring
    Moving them to Birmingham for five years would be good.

Anyway, it's ripe for redevelopment into a tea shoppe.

3. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Is the pope catholic? As a big parliamentary fan Charles the First once said ---allegedly.;)

4. John Jones Jr

John Jones Jr Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mazda MX5 10AE, W201 2.5-16, W202 230K Sport man, Honda Accord & Suzuki 'Ricer'.
    I think it's easy to justify having it in a good state of repair, no question. It's the 3bn figure that should be scrutinised, that's some hill of money.

5. Fudger

Fudger Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Awaiting delivery
    As a worldwide icon, the money must be spent. Tourism etc will easily recoup the money over a short period anyway. It is a no brainer for me!

6. moonloops

moonloops MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C350 CDI AMG Sport
    Knock it down, make an underground car park - it will generate less hot air than the current building.

Ground floor - KFC, Pret, Costa, Eat and Burger King to help subsidise costs. Upper floor(s) for MP's. Use the same pre-fab building technology like Travelodge use.

Job done. :D

7. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    It's a Unesco World Heritage site of the most considerable importance.

It is going to cost a lot because it requires an almost total rebuilding, using crafts and techniques that are no longer commonplace and very labour intensive. As the money spent is most likely to be recycled within the UK economy, where we have excellent craftsmen to do this work, it is probably the best money that the government could spend.

1 person likes this.
  8. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I would be inclined to take a very brutal approach if they go ahead and spend what is needed to modernise it - keep / restore the external facades and the major areas but take it as an opportunity to rebuild a lot of the less apparent parts.

If it takes 10 years and parliament has to be moved then just do it and do it properly.

9. finisterre

finisterre Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Vito, Z4, 530i touring
    I was impressed by the vacuum system when I visited. The skirting boards have apertures to fit flexible cleaner wotsits and there is a big sucky thing in the cellar. Bonkers.

10. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Having thought about this a bit more I have concluded this is heaven sent opportunity to build a new parliamentary building on a green field site ---- It should be on a centrally located purpose built government campus away from any existing major conurbation to reflect that its a UK parliament not a London/Manchester/Birmingham one. Take a look at the new Parliamentary building in Canberra Australia to see what's possible. This would symbolise a country grasping the future not living in the past. :dk:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Category:Australian House of Representatives chamber, Parliament House - Wikimedia Commons
    [​IMG]

11. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I don't have an issue with keeping traditions going.

I also look at the Scottish parliament building travesty and the way costs escalated and think ..... oh no not again.

However *moving* the UK parliament to Canberra does sound like a rather nice idea.

12. swannymere

swannymere Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1994 S124 E300d
    Quite a few housed have these abroad, great idea.

13. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
    Maybe they should take a tip from their tax avoidance advisor friends and move them all off-shore :D

14. OP
    OP
    Harrythedog

Harrythedog Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GLC 250 Sport Premium+
    I think the exterior should be kept and maintained as it is but there is scope for redevelopment internally. Perhaps a Travelodge style accommodation for the MP's thus saving £000's on expenses, many people use this type every day when they are working away so there can be no cause for complaint. Bars & restaurants are already on site so they'll be well catered for.

15. IanA2

IanA2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
    Fixed that for you...;)

16. Dryce

Dryce MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Maybe we should be thinking of regional branches of parliament where MS should attend for normal parliamentary business - with Wesminster as the HQ for the large votes. Look at using advanced tele-debating chambers to combine the regional branches as well as telemeeting rooms. MPs would stick closer to their consttuencies and the house flipping nonsense would eliminated.

And yes - setup a members 'lodge' in Westminster for those attending down south away from their constituencies.

17. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    Many newer homes have that.

18. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    And here...and in the kitchen you just sweep the floor and open an aperture and everything gets sucked away.

Tags: