Wasted morning viewing a Tatty W211 E320 CDi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KillerHERTZ

Administrator
Staff member
Car
SL63 AMG
Never trust the photos in a car ad!

Went to see THIS E320 cdi this morning after being in contact with the owner via phone & text. I was assured twice that it was in great condition apart from the odd stone chip etc. I even emailed THIS photo to her to 100% confirm there was no rust, and again I was told no rust etc.

I was also informed it had a full service history including a main service a couple of months ago with a £600 bill backing this up, all sounded good I thought apart from the photos, if you look carefully you can see they are taken in the midst of winter.

So this morning my Dad and I drove over to see it which was at a friends garage as she had just been to see a family member in hospital the night before (I agreed it was fine to still view the car). Straight away I could see the car was filthy, and had both rear arches covered in rust.
Got the keys and went for a test drive, inside the car it was also really dirty with paint on the passenger seat and a huge rip in the trim below the drivers seat. Out on the road the traction control light kept flashing and the 'check oil' malfunctional was displayed.
After pulling over I was able to have a good look around the car, both rear tyres were almost completely smooth, huge amounts of moss, leaves were around drainage holes and window trim. Inside the engine bay there were large amounts of green/grey foam in the top corner? evidence of an oil leak on the right hand side of the engine block below the plastic cover - this the injector leak? and half a trees worth of leaves. Around the front of the car the headlight plastic had gone yellow, the mesh looked like it had popped out and the plastic inner wheel arch trim was sticking out also.

Looking through the MB service history, the last service was in May 2011 not 'recent'

I called her up and offered £4500 explaining everything which was wrong with it and told her I would need at least a £1000 getting it shipshape, she again told me it had a recent service and said the paperwork was there - all I could fine was a new front tyre fitted 6months ago. she came down to £5500 and I walked away.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: Amazing how a car can get in that shape is one thing, expecting a sale is another!

She also told me she had already dropped it £1500, the garage owner said he it had been with him for nearly 3 months in his parking lot.

Waste of fuel and time heading over to Bicester thanks the owner of MC53 KBP good luck with the sale of your wreck!

Last edited:
I'm surprised you even drove it after getting the first impression. There are loads of those around for sale. I'd have spotted the rust, then got straight back into my car and left.

Some sellers are seriously deluded, as you've found out.

Looking at the pictures (apart from the suspected rust patch) it looks in great nick and there is only 1 other out there with the AMG kit and wheels so I thought it was worth a look.

Ive never had a non-rusty car so I was still prepared to have it should the price be right which is why I took it for a test drive :(

Forgot to add: Low battery error when I started it aswell!

Another thing, we drove there in my dad's W211 W240 and when I got into the E320 the engine seemed very noisey in the cabin, I know its a diesel and they are louded but should there be so much of a difference?

I missed the AMG bodykit part.

The inline 6 diesel is quite loud and rattly and will sound like a Transit after a petrol V6.

Looking at the photos it looks a nice car, but as you say they look like they were taken months ago. You did the right thing by walking. There's always another one and hopefully a good one.

Another thing, we drove there in my dad's W211 W240 and when I got into the E320 the engine seemed very noisey in the cabin, I know its a diesel and they are louded but should there be so much of a difference?

The engine mounts may be going a bit and if it's been standing some while it will be a bit rough until it warms up fully and the mounts have got some elasticity back.

Yep, I have also seen some (shall we say) optimistic descriptions on flee bay. Lots of selers on eBay, in my opinion have much better photography skills than honesty levels, good luck with your search.

Johno

Pet peeve for me is sellers declaring cars as mint or exceptional :mad: when clearly they are not.

I went to see a CLK last weekend that had FSH with no issues....
Last service in book was at 85k with car now on 105k with no paperwork.
Loud clonking from underneath and water pouring in the passenger footwell...

I dispare...

Just wish sellers would be honest

Good luck with the search Karl

Shame, as you say looked ok on the pictures?

Mine rattles at start up but then your used to a petrol car, you do get used to it. Its slightly lounder for a few minuites in the morning say when you first switch on (almost like its on choke) then its no bad.

I don't mind the noise now I'm looking at 45mpg rather than 25mpg of my old ML :)

When you give it beans I think it actually sounds quite good....in a rough deep growl way... :)

GreetMe and I went to see an E55 that looked great in the photos.

What a pile.................

The photograph certainly does lie.

KH - I think you need to hold out for a forum member's car to come up for sale. From my experience these have been my best cars with the easiest buying process.

KH - I think you need to hold out for a forum member's car to come up for sale. From my experience these have been my best cars with the easiest buying process.

Now, if you liked AMG bodykitted estates and could wait a while.....................

Fuuny enough a few years ago my dad was after a SL55 as his weekend toy.

We looked at quite a few including those at dealers and all were dirty or for some reaosn looked like they had done more miles than on the clock. Odd as you would think owning a flagship car it would be kept nice?

He chose a SL500 in the end with the full SL55 kit including exhausts. It was low miles and much better looked after.

Shame. As you say - photos look impressive. They are obviously not recent and were probably taken when the car was first acquired! Asides from trying to ask the right questions before you went - service history, last service, MOT tyre tread, paintwork, dings etc. I'm not sure there is a lot else you could have done. So you just have to put it down to experience, but as someone else said, I wouldn't have bothered with the test drive! You win some, and you lose some. Another day you'll go along, pictures will be not as good, but the car will be a real gem.

I've just traded my E320 CDI estate which is also a 2004 '53' plate and which I've had for 7 years. Someone somewhere is going to be getting an absolute peach of a car even if I say so myself :) For starters it only has 56k on the clock. Got offered £7200 which is allegedly above book and more than I anticipated. I can't see that it can be priced significantly more than that when the dealer passes it down the line somewhere. The car I was looking at had been reduced by £2500, which was why I was looking at it the first place, so I came away feeling I'd made gains at both ends of the deal (and I just laughed at their finance options which are a big joke). Generally I buy privately and thus have to sell my old car myself, so this is a first for me. Looking forward to my S212 350 CDI which I pick up next week :D

You're taking your dad to test drive a car with you....??

Why wouldn't he? I got over the embarassment of being seen with my Dad when I was 12.

I'm 37 now and take my Dad with me if I can. I don't need his permission, but I do need a second pair of well educated engineering eyes.

Cars like this are sometimes worth seeking out (albeit without the rust) - if all that is wrong is a bit of dirt, then you can pick it up for cheap, spend a couple of days and a fair bit of elbow grease and you get to know the car, and polish some value into it. I bought the S-Max from auction and it looked in a right state, scratches all over etc. 2 days with a clay bar, polish and wax, and all scratches completely gone, and a lovely car underneath worth a fair bit more than paid.

I took a look at the pictures again. No leaves on the trees and frost on the grass. Hmm. Still doesn't help knowing they are old...there's an outside chance that they might have actually looked after the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom