Watch advice please

• Thread starter Deleted member 11979
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 11979

I would like to buy a nice quality watch.

I currently have a Mondaine which is very simple in appearance, but it’s not great quality.

Does anyone know of something similar to look at but higher quality, maybe up to £3000?

Thanks a lot

Depending on your preferred style then i would go for an Omega Seamaster 300 (divers ) which is right on your budget , or if a dress watch takes your fancy then one of the Tag Heuer Carerra`s.

Kenny

This will quickly turn into one of the "which is the best polish" type of threads I think. :)

Watches are a very personal thing so everyone will have different opinions. The first thing to decide is what you personally like and what do you want the watch to do, chronograph, GMT or any other complications.

You say you have a Mondaine. Is it the Swiss Railway design? I quite like these though I think I'm in a minority in the watch collecting world.

There are so many different brands out there it really is difficult to suggest anything without further information though, with your budget, I may just be looking at Omega, or Longines if you want some change to furnish it with several different straps/bracelets. which

Have a look on Chrono24 or Iconic. https://www.chrono24.com/

Oh, and don't discount a second hand one or a grey import, most are excellent on the sites I've linked to. :)

Yes, to clarify the Mondaine is the Swiss railway style one, nice and crisp and simple.

If you want simple looking have a look at these. Beautiful in my opinion, but then I'm biased. ;)

Starting price around £1k and up............

Handmade in Germany.
NOMOS Glashütte—the finest mechanical watches

As above, watches are a very personal choice and the style you want will make a big difference to what to suggest.

For a chronometer, I'd look for a pre owned Breitling Navimeter or a Longines dress watch if I were buying now.

If you want a watch that will appreciate, Rolex is the one. The Omega Seamaster however is nicer than a Rolex Submariner.
No idea what either cost these days but I bought my TT Sub for about $5500 in 2005 which was right around 3500GBP.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Beautiful watch

Those I like! Thank you, why are you biased out of interest?

Because I have one!

If I could afford it I'd have a drawer full of them!

I bought mine direct from Nomos in Germany ( I phoned, they speak English) because I wanted a different strap fitted.

Because I have one!

If I could afford it I'd have a drawer full of them!

I bought mine direct from Nomos in Germany ( I phoned, they speak English) because I wanted a different strap fitted.

The autobahn has tickled my fancy, thank you

With 3K I'd be looking for an Omega Seamaster, currently have a Tag Heuer Aquaracer Calibre 5.

Have had an Omega Seamaster for 17 years, Analogue though, not digital! Like the look of the new ones but as mine was a wedding present from my wife I think I had better make do with what I have.
In the end you should choose a watch you enjoy wearing ! A Patek Philippe would be my choice if money unlimited

Have had an Omega Seamaster for 17 years, Analogue though, not digital! Like the look of the new ones but as mine was a wedding present from my wife I think I had better make do with what I have.
In the end you should choose a watch you enjoy wearing ! A Patek Philippe would be my choice if money unlimited
I agree, though I'm not sure about a Patel Philippe even though the craftsmanship is on another level all together. My Tag is analogue (ETA movement, I think) and the Omega would have to be with the co-axial mechanical movement in it.

I also have a couple of cheap Accurist watches with (Miyota) quartz movements. I wouldn't pay big money for a quartz movement watch.

Even very expensive watches with either quartz or automatic mechanical movements are often not as exclusive as they might appear. A big proportion of watches use either ETA (part of the Swatch group as is Omega), Sellita or Miyota (Citizen group) quartz or mechanical movements.

If you want simple looking have a look at these. Beautiful in my opinion, but then I'm biased. ;)

Starting price around £1k and up............

Handmade in Germany.
NOMOS Glashütte—the finest mechanical watches

This would be my choice too. I have a basic Tangente but would love a Lambda.
Some of the newer ones are also beautiful.

How about a Breitling Colt, simple fully automatic, waterproof, under £3k new, mine is used as an every day and it holds up well...
7504f7686aafe3e77bfcae7e3683f84f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

With your budget (and in no particular order) I’d look at:

Used IWC Pilots Chrono

Used Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean

Used Panerai Luminor (my personal favourite)

I’ve got more than one TAG and in different styles depending on functions etc, well that was the idea anyway, but my go-to is a 2004 TAG with a metal strap with no fake gold etc.

I got an Omega SeaMaster for my 50th last year. It’s the blue faced version and I really do like it.

Again it’s personal and don’t show it off if you visit various parts of London.

If you have anything left of your budget, you can pick up some nice 'dailies' for a couple of hundred.
The China airforce remake
603e932039b784406a97186b2d95dd17--gull-air-force.jpg

Seiko 'Cocktail Time' Japanese import
Seiko-Pressage-SRPB43J1-1703239561.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom