watch cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John757

Car
E350CDi Coupe , Gwagen 280GE , SL55 AMG , Audi SQ5 Quattro
Discovered my watch strap was leaving dirty marks on my wrist in hot weather... easy way to clean it is a soak in water with a Milton sterilisation tablet ... amazing the crud that washed out!

20220620_131818.jpg
I suspended the watch.. over a skewer and a fork.. the watch is waterproof.. but don't like leaving them submerged for hours on end..

lovely clean strap!

I clean my Breitling and bracelet with a naibrush a couple of times a month. Just under running warm water with a gentle scrub.
I never remove my watch at all, except when bathing as I don't want to scratch the bath and when cleaning it. Always nice and shiny and smelling sweet.
Mind you when it comes back from a service at Breitling it looks like new as they always polish out all the marks. Due a service this autumn. Coming up to 25yrs nonstop use :cool: :thumb:PXL_20220620_133849202~2.jpg

Last edited:
My 25 year Rolex submariner got washed in the shower every day. I don’t wear it now that I’ve retired, but from 1998 to 2017, it was never off my wrist. It had a new sapphire & crown after it’s last service several years ago.19B2558D-11F8-44B7-9FA5-F59E78D3A135_1_201_a.jpeg

My mains ultrasonic cleaner came with a special frame to suspend a watch so only the strap is in the cleaning fluid, does a superb job. Nice bonus as I originally bought it after wife's dentist used one on her dentures and they came back like new. Have also used it on a number of pieces of jewellery, works wonders on things like wife's engagement ring(s - she also has her Mum's) and our wedding bands which have inset diamonds.

Mind you when it comes back from a service at Breitling it looks like new as they always polish out all the marks. Due a service this autumn.

That's going to be my upcoming argument with them shortly. Need to send my Chronomatic 24 back for a full service but don't want them to bother polishing it (or pay for the luxury). Just keep the mechanicals sweet and leave the patina be.

I clean my Breitling and bracelet with a naibrush a couple of times a month. Just under running warm water with a gentle scrub.
I never remove my watch at all, except when bathing as I don't want to scratch the bath and when cleaning it. Always nice and shiny and smelling sweet.
Mind you when it comes back from a service at Breitling it looks like new as they always polish out all the marks. Due a service this autumn. Coming up to 25yrs nonstop use :cool: :thumb:View attachment 128699
I never allow them to polish my watch. Collectors prefer watches that have not been repeatedly polished. However the 2 that I have will end up with my grandsons.

@Doodle

Polishing all part of the £650 service. I won't be selling it, so happy to have a 'new' watch each time. That they did try and sell me a new clasp for £400 as it has almost lost its logo 😏

I’ve got an old TAG that I bought it 2004 which has had a lot of abuse over the years. It gets cleaned in the shower, the swimming pool or the sea!!🤣🤣

PS, just had a close look at it and it’s rather disgusting so I might try to clean it.5AF2BA4F-94ED-43D5-AD6A-60088CCFEBA9.jpegE605E59B-37EA-4DA0-984E-A2418AB57BCF.jpeg

Polishing all part of the £650 service. I won't be selling it, so happy to have a 'new' watch each time. That they did try and sell me a new clasp for £400 as it has almost lost its logo 😏
I know it is part of the service. However polishing dulls the edges, thins the goldplating and I don’t like the look. My last service was £800 with the sapphire and new crown. :oops: 😩

Polishing all part of the £650 service.

They can make it un-part of the service 😆

I'm not fussed about resale value, I just fail to see the point and I'm not paying for the privilege not received.

Don't get any of this silliness at Cartier, they charge only for what is needed or requested.

They can make it un-part of the service 😆

I'm not fussed about resale value, I just fail to see the point and I'm not paying for the privilege not received.

Don't get any of this silliness at Cartier, they charge only for what is needed or requested.
Rolex are the same - they only charge for what they do. However polishing is part of the service unless you request them not to. They never give an actual quote until they have looked at the watch.

I just let TAG look after my collection, if four could be considered a collection.

My mains ultrasonic cleaner was less than £30 IIRC, plus a few quid more for the cleaning fluids - but the service I had many moons ago on my Omega Speedmaster was rather more than that - about £250, and I think it needs another visit to the service shop!

It’s worth mentioning that your watch/jewellery could do with cleaning when visiting a trusted jeweller. The jeweller we use gives my wife’s jewellery a clean every time we call in. Makes good business sense though as it keeps us talking and sometime we end up buying as a result. Whether we buy or not, the jewellery always looks better on our way out than on our way in, so worth mentioning.

Discovered my watch strap was leaving dirty marks on my wrist in hot weather... easy way to clean it is a soak in water with a Milton sterilisation tablet ... amazing the crud that washed out!

View attachment 128698
I suspended the watch.. over a skewer and a fork.. the watch is waterproof.. but don't like leaving them submerged for hours on end..

lovely clean strap!
Err, actually, it's a bracelet.😝🤣

My Rolex dealer told me to put some Fairy liquid on it, gentle rub all over then under the tap for a rinse then pat it with a microfibre cloth. I always rinse it with the crown facing down even though its waterproof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom