Watch out, new type of knife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another weapon that's cropped up is the converted Krook-Lok.

Some bright-spark crim has modified this traditional car security device so it fires a one-off 9mm round. It looks to the uninitiated just like the real thing but clearly with more sinister potential.

At least 5 have turned up in the north of England in the past few months.:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Are these illegal to own or just illegal to carry in a public place? If legal to own would the owner have to prove why he has it..i.e. a diver, hunter of bears etc...But then how would he get that through customs?

In my opinion it should be illegal to own one full stop - but then the law often takes time to catch up on things..

Lets face it a 99p kitchen knife out of Woolworths has almost as much potential to kill. You cant legislate against everything. However, anyone caught carrying weapons such as described above MUST get a minimum of 10 years in jail. No remmission or get out clauses.

Lets face it a 99p kitchen knife out of Woolworths has almost as much potential to kill. You cant legislate against everything. However, anyone caught carrying weapons such as described above MUST get a minimum of 10 years in jail. No remmission or get out clauses.

Not what Gord proposed. Visit to jails, that all for juveniles.

Stopped carrying swiss knife.

Yes well.............running the risk of a political post, "Gord" is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
And I could have been alot more descriptive there as well...........

Are these illegal to own or just illegal to carry in a public place? If legal to own would the owner have to prove why he has it..i.e. a diver, hunter of bears etc...But then how would he get that through customs?

Any person found with a knife on them (there are a couple of exemptions) in public should get locked up without a doubt. In private it is not an offence to have a bladed article on/with you.
However, the exploding tip on this one is likely to make it classifiable under the Firearms Act I would think and therefore possessing it in private could land you in deep doo-doo.

As for the penalties?...............who knows:crazy:

Any person found with a knife on them (there are a couple of exemptions) in public should get locked up without a doubt. In private it is not an offence to have a bladed article on/with you.
However, the exploding tip on this one is likely to make it classifiable under the Firearms Act I would think and therefore possessing it in private could land you in deep doo-doo.

As for the penalties?...............who knows:crazy:

Have they updated the guidelines this week, and if so is it on the net?

Have they updated the guidelines this week, and if so is it on the net?

Statute rather than guidelines will need checking re this knife. I reckon any copper worth their salt coming across one of these knives, whether in public or otherwise, should take the possessor in and deal with it that way - I know I would :)

This is in no way a dig, or rant, or anything of that ilk, but I ask a genuine question: If my friend who lives a mile away wants to borrow my Stanley knife to trim some carpet (or whatever) and I leave my house with said Stanley knife in my pocket and walk through the high-street which is a direct path to his house, am I "carrying a knife" and therefore a target for arrest / charge? If the answer is "yes", how can I transport said knife without fear of prosecution?

In my opinion it should be illegal to own one full stop - but then the law often takes time to catch up on things..

It's very easy to get a knife through customs, you cannot obviously take it through as hand held luggage, but if it's in your checked in luggage for the hold, then that's ok. I often take my diver's knife with me on diving trips.

Thanks, next time I get in a knife fight, I'll be sure to make a special effort to identify the type of knife. ;)

A few simple questions asked would either confirm or not his story. I dont have any problems with that if it means a safer environment. The police arent stupid (despite what is sometimes written) and can easily spot the difference between a likely offender over a non-offender.

You say that but... a close friend (a chef) was arrested and charged for possession of a chefs knife set in the boot of his car.

His solicitor advised him to plead guilty to the charge :eek:

This is in no way a dig, or rant, or anything of that ilk, but I ask a genuine question: If my friend who lives a mile away wants to borrow my Stanley knife to trim some carpet (or whatever) and I leave my house with said Stanley knife in my pocket and walk through the high-street which is a direct path to his house, am I "carrying a knife" and therefore a target for arrest / charge? If the answer is "yes", how can I transport said knife without fear of prosecution?

I guess a Stanley Knife would be best described as a "tool". Whats been refered to as a "Knife" would have to have some form of acceptable, and therefore enforceable, technical description that would stand a test in court.

This thingy looks to me that it would fall into a Section 1 firearm category being as it expells some form of projectile so, you wouldnt get arrested for having, or rather carrying, and offensive weapon (knife) you would be arrested for a firearms offence I'm guessing.

Portzy.

The thing is, this is not a new problem. Back in the day, teddy boys carried flick knives and took sharpened metal combs to football matches.
Up to about 15 years ago you could buy flick knives and replica guns in almost any spanish souvenier shop and bring them back to the UK with no problem.

You say that but... a close friend (a chef) was arrested and charged for possession of a chefs knife set in the boot of his car.

His solicitor advised him to plead guilty to the charge :eek:

Mrs E does the same when engaged on her "other business*" duties. She checked with the local station who said that carrying them in a case or roll to or from work was not a problem (same as the Stanley Knife earlier, but in a tool box). If she was stopped and could not give an explanation as to why she was carrying the knives (i.e. not traveling to/from work or similar) then she could be liable to arrest.

* This being in the chef line..... :)

I have a small leatherman multi tool on my keyring, with pliers, screwdriver, scisors amd knife etc..

That would cause injury if inteded? and I don't know is that illegal? I know its very handy and do take it off at airports etc

You COULD kill someone with a toothpick, so I think a modicum of sense is called for here. As someone once said, a cricket bat is a dangerous weapon in the wrong hands.............

I have it on good authority that any non-fixed bladed knife (ie. a non-locking penknife) of blade length smaller than 3" was not considered "a dangerous weapon" of life threatening capability. However I was told that quite a few years ago and legislation may well have changed since.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom