Watch service time

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by corned, Jun 14, 2011.

1. corned

corned MB Enthusiast

Car:
    car
    Here is a quick question for you guys.

How long would you expect for a service to be performed on a watch? Swiss chronometer, dispatched to London office, no idea where the actual service is performed, but could be here or Switzerland.

Any ideas? Muchas gracias!

1 person likes this.
  2. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    No idea, but would be interested to know as I have an old PP pocket watch that needs looking at...

3. tromppost

tromppost Active Member

Car:
    w220 s320 2000
    8 weeks or so

4. jocasta

jocasta Active Member

Car:
    SLK 350 Obsidian Black
    My Cartier went in for a service last year through Goldsmiths and they told me to expect it back in 8 weeks, the actual turn around was 4 weeks. They said it gets sent off to Switzerland, but who knows :dk:

5. Mike Walker

Mike Walker MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes W204 C220cdi Estate Ford Fiesta Mk 4
    Rolex are currently quoting 4-5 months and their prices for servicing an Oyster Perpetual Datejust increased from £260 to £400 on 1st June - ouch!

6. HR17

HR17 Active Member

Car:
    A Merc.
    Had one of my Omegas back within a month when sent via a dealer. Think it was done in the UK too. Not cheap though.

7. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '99 S320 W140 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    Omega have always taken between three and six months , last service cost £400 . With the f300 'Tuning fork' movement hardly anyone else will touch it .

With the 1955 Rolex I inherited from my dad , being a simple mechanical movement , I just got a trusted local watchmaker to do it - was ready in about two weeks and cost very reasonable , although a few years back now

8. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Breitling Super Ocean, service takes 12wks and ~£350 comes back as new, all case/bracelet marks polished out :)

9. swannymere

swannymere Active Member

Car:
    1994 S124 E300d
    I know Omega's goto Chandler's Ford just outside Southampton where the Swatch Group is based in the UK.

10. Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    From experience, Rolex ~3 months, Casio ~4-6 weeks...

Neither is great, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

M.

11. OP
    OP
    corned

corned MB Enthusiast

Car:
    car
    Thanks for your replies chaps.

My Chopard went in for a 'full' service three months ago (16/3/11). So I suppose we're not out of bounds just yet.

I miss it! I'm feel naked without it because I wear it all the time, pretty much regardless of what I'm doing. I'm in the 'watches are made to be worn' club.

The work includes complete dismantle, renewal of any worn parts, adjustment as necessary, rebuild, spit and polish, and re-verification of the movement and timings. For that I expect it has gone back to Switzerland. It's just the wrong side of £300.

It has a very small scratch to the glass which I am hopeful can be polished out. Whether they do that as part of the service remains to be seen. Or perhaps not!

12. saorbust

saorbust MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS350CDI
    My jaeger lecoultre went to Switzerland for a service - took three months. That was 2 years ago....

First time in 18 years of ownership though...

13. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '99 S320 W140 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    With my Omega , a new crystal (glass) and case polish was going to be £180 on top of the £400 service ! I opted not to bother .

The crystal used to be included in years gone by when the service was only £180 or so .

14. Charles Morgan

Charles Morgan MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
    I used to tolerate being charged a fortune and not having my watch for months, but since my father had his Rolex serviced, I used Paul Mason who serviced my Rolex, cleaned it, replaced the mainspring and the glass all for £120. What was nice was I sent it to him, he looked at it, rang me the day after, told me what was needing doing, the cost and the timetable, and if I didn't like that, he would send me the watch back, all at his expense.

Highly recommended.

4 people like this.
  15. OP
    OP
    corned

corned MB Enthusiast

Car:
    car
    I had a chat with Chopard this lunchtime. Apparently the full service was not initially thought to be required, so it had a minor maintenance service. But it didn't meet the post-service timing accuracy requirements and so a full strip-down service was requested, which is what I authorised as per my original post.

That work is well under way and should not be long now. I should hear by COP today when it will be ready.

I just want my baby back!

16. Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    Good to hear, will give him a try in 4 years or so :p

M.

17. E CLASS

E CLASS Active Member

Watch servicing is a complete swizz - other than visual clean up - which I think ruins the patina of a watch - what do you honestly think they do?!

18. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Clean and lube the works, pressure test to 1500m and then re-do the chronograph certification.... :thumb:

19. Mr E

Mr E MB Enthusiast

Car:
    57 W211 E280 AG
    We're talking mechanical devices here. What do they do with a car service, or don't they wear in the course of everyday life?

For a watch, there'll be the replacement of seals (that dry out & crack after a number of years), inspection / replacement of parts, lubrication recalibration, etc.

20. DITTRICH

DITTRICH MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
    People spend money on things they like and what they consider "necessary". Personally speaking, I don't have expensive watches. However, if there was some severe mechanical or cosmetic problem, I would spend the money to get the watch seen to. A few seconds here or there doesn't account for much (especially when waiting for the other half to get ready). I'm not sure the difference between a serviced and unserviced watch is enough to justify the cost. Stands back and waits for the blow back!

1 person likes this.