Watch winding wheel came out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

I have been sold a duff watch on eBay. The winder pulls straight out the body and does not turn the hands. Is this something that can be repaired? It's a genuine ICE watch. Shame tojunk it if its a cheap fix.

Sorry - not really helpful, but Dieselman is really good at winding watch threads up....

ETA there's nearly always local watch repair shops in towns which are in my experience reasonable.

Folks

I have been sold a duff watch on eBay. The winder pulls straight out the body and does not turn the hands. Is this something that can be repaired? It's a genuine ICE watch. Shame tojunk it if its a cheap fix.

Stem replacement is a fairly standard fix.

In fact when the clocks go back or forward due to BST, watchmakers are inundated with people who have liberated their stem / winder from their watch.

Any half decent jeweller should be able to deal.

Stems are held in by either a small screw or a spring clip. If you unscrew the back you might well see what is wrong, such as the screw is loose or missing.

Just leave it be.

It will be at the correct time twice a day. More accurate than most expensive watches ...

:D

Dieselman said:
Stems are held in by either a small screw or a spring clip. If you unscrew the back you might well see what is wrong, such as the screw is loose or missing.

Ok I tried to unscrew the back. At this point I noticed that the face was turning with the back. Stuck the stem back in. Still no luck.

How is the case back held on? That's what you need to get off - then post a pic up of the movement. As someone said, usually there'll be a screw or a clip or some method of 'locking' the stem in place. There's then a sort of clutch mechanism allowing you to move the crown out to alter the date and time.

Just googled it - it should be a Miyota movement. In which case, the stem is removed by inserting something long and thin into a designated hole, wiggling the crown and out it comes. To replace the crown, it should just be a case of pushing it all the way in until you hear a click.

paulyV6 said:
Just googled it - it should be a Miyota movement. In which case, the stem is removed by inserting something long and thin into a designated hole, wiggling the crown and out it comes. To replace the crown, it should just be a case of pushing it all the way in until you hear a click.

Pauly

Many thanks. The back turns but refuses to unscrew (tried both ways). If that would come off I may have a chance.

Seller advertised as worn once, as new. I guess they forgot the fact that it does not run and the winder is hanging out.

I have opened a dispute with eBay and PayPal.

Are you using a proper case removal tool?

Is the stem in the watch? The movement will be able to move freely in the case if the stem isn't in. Admitedly, the case back shouldn't cause this to happen, but if the stem is in it will stop it - even if the stem isn't fully in.

Are you using a proper case removal tool?

Is the stem in the watch? The movement will be able to move freely in the case if the stem isn't in. Admitedly, the case back shouldn't cause this to happen, but if the stem is in it will stop it - even if the stem isn't fully in.

with the stem in and using a pair of pointed pliers I can turn the rear case. It is tight but does turn in both directions. Even with the stem in??

Can't you just lodge a dispute and return it?

Ok

The seller finally refunded my money + Postage in full. This was after opened an eBay dispute and mailed the seller. I asked where he thought it remotely acceptable to describe something as "new" when it is not new and not working. He replied saying he was sorry and I could keep the watch. Hmmmm.

So today I took the watch into our local watch repairer. He called me back saying it is repairable for just under what I paid for the watch.

So it is now being repaired.

How's the watch ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom