Watchdog 16/Oct - W205 C Class recall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWDpetrol

Car
N/A
Watching it now..

Last edited:
Can't watch it at the moment but is this to do with a Steering issue for cars built pre September? Mine is in order and being delivered for December so need to ensure that there is nothing there for me to be concerned about!

Yep, steering. Watched 50 minutes of rubbish for a 50 second update.

- END -

Rather, steering coloumn plastic cover not fully clipped in place, from what I gathered? Can cause noise when rubbing against the moving part.

I don't get why she has a go. Would they rather that manufacturers do not recall the cars? They are doing the right thing after all.

I don't get why she has a go. Would they rather that manufacturers do not recall the cars? They are doing the right thing after all.

True. And the teasers before the main story made it sound like a major issue. I was expecting a proper update. Drama queen.

That aside, I recall an interview where she said she had just bought an s124 and it was the biggest cheque she had written - so she is/was an MB fan at least.

Non story it appears

MB have said its not dangerous & will fix all 8000 models sold.

I sat through 50mins of lame telly for that :(

So nothing more than I already knew which is a relief...was getting prepped to give the dealer a call in the morning!

I agree though, a company that act as a precaution is much better than a company that sits back "waiting" for complaints and then deal with them on an ad-hoc basis. I had an 330d (E93) BMW where the wheels constantly cracked and that was highlighted on Watchdog also...I had 6 replaced in a total of 3 years of driving!

Still not in the same recall league as Toyota though! http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29625734
Industry experts have said the car maker had experienced more component failures since a period of rapid global expansion and making a greater number of different models for world markets. Now where have I heard that before? :rolleyes:

Had letter yesterday took car in this am all OK. They told me that they were not expecting to find any faulty couplings but as it had been a problem in the US with a few cars MB were being careful. Don't think they had any couplings in stock to fix if they found one faulty.

QUOTE :- USA RECALL NOTICE

The recall is NHTSA 14V598 - They warn that the steering coupling interlocking mechanism may not be properly locked, which in the event that the steering coupling interlock mechanism is not in the locked position, the sliding shaft, which is part of the steering column, could potentially become disengaged from the steering coupling socket due to vibrations, steering thrust, or load feedback, from the road surface. This might lead to perceptible noises, steering backlash, and in a worst case, loss of steering control, which may increase the risk of a crash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom