Watches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
While a student, I was asked to leave an exhibition stand "to make space for real customers"

Some years later, I was in charge of purchasing the type of equipment that I had been previously admiring.

Guess which make never got near the short list.......

The thing is, if someone turns up with an expensive clothing/watch then you know there is a good chance they can afford the item.

If they turn up looking like Jeremy Corbyn then you don't know if they can and are inclined to suspect they cannot.

I like the Flightmaster. Reason I don't have one is that I did this with the money I got for mine:

But this is something now equally rare and I reckon just as funky:

Last edited:
:ttiuwp

image-4018349889.jpg

Not that short.......... so here's a picture.

Just arrived - Limited edition Christopher Ward C60 Trident 316L - swiss automatic movement, 5 year warranty, 600m waterproof.

The steel bracelet is adjustable via a hidden clip inside the clasp - this makes it the ideal holiday watch for me as hot weather makes my wrist swell a bit.

Last edited:
The thing is, if someone turns up with an expensive clothing/watch then you know there is a good chance they can afford the item.

If they turn up looking like Jeremy Corbyn then you don't know if they can and are inclined to suspect they cannot.

I think the opposite is more likely to be true. There was a program on channel 4 I think, about a car dealership in Essex, their number one salesman said " I never judge anyone on appearance, you can have someone in a designer suit who can't get credit and someone who turns up in a builders transit van who buys the most expensive car on the yard for cash" .
I used to enjoy that program, I remember one where a girl turned up to buy a Merc with her sisters and all three were refused credit on it.:fail

BTB 500: Yes; you have spelt it correctly, which suggest that you know the beasts.
No speed, no range and no weather window. Challenging to land consistently well but so much fun on a summer's evening as the wind drops away because it is so manoevrable that it feels like you have wings attached to your shoulder blades. Probably time this thread ended up in another part of the Forum. Little MB discussion going on!

No speed, no range and no weather window. Challenging to land consistently well but so much fun on a summer's evening as the wind drops away

I fly something with similar characteristics;

PPG%20cloud.jpg

p.s. Old Sarum?

While a student, I was asked to leave an exhibition stand "to make space for real customers"

Some years later, I was in charge of purchasing the type of equipment that I had been previously admiring.

Guess which make never got near the short list.......

The least appropriate?

I like watches and own a few nice watches, the irony is that they contrast with the rest of me as I'm likely to be in jeans and an AC/DC t-shirt.

I'm a wierd shape, so get my suits made by a guy who spends a lot of time measuring people up in the board rooms of city firms. He reckons that a depressing number of those types have a suit made with the left arm shorter than the right, so they can show off the watch.

On further discussion it seems it's invariably the Rolex brigade. More discerning buyers see no need to flash their (often more expensive but) less chavvy wristwear.

On further discussion it seems it's invariably the Rolex brigade. More discerning buyers see no need to flash their (often more expensive but) less chavvy wristwear.

I think calling Rolex owners chavs is a bit ridiculous to be honest.

You could say that about any veblen item these days.

For what it's worth, both arms on my suits are the same length.

For what it's worth, both arms on my suits are the same length.

Mine too, it's my arms that are different lengths. One has lengthened over time due to the weight of my chavvy watches! Should have worn them on both wrists so that over time my knuckles could be dragging along the ground... :rolleyes:

Sir Jackie Stewart has his shirt cuffs made to allow for watch. Any good tailor will ask if you want to have a watch or a double cuff etc, factored into a suit sleeve. Nothing worse than seeing a coff ride up over a watch due to the cuff being a tight fit.

I have the ankles on my trousers measured to allow for my curfew tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom