watching Ronin makes me want a 450 SEL 6.9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bh13coupe

Car
124 coupe
Guys

Watching Ronin on Chan5, I love the car chase into Nice and that 450 SEL 6.9 is a beast!!! I want one. However a Citroen XM at best a 3.0 V6 holding off an Audi S8 Quattro off road at times, Come on do me a favour!!!!! German always spanks french:D
I read somewhere that Luc Besson used w124 500e's as camera cars during the making of this film.

One of my favourite car chase films!

Filmed using a 450 SEL 6.9, some say!

[YOUTUBE]0DSyEarRAKo[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
As seen here - the Ferrari was dubbed on after

[YOUTUBE]AHn5Q15kaIA[/YOUTUBE]

The ORIGINAL Gone In 60 Seconds was one of the best car chase films ever made.

Guys
However a Citroen XM at best a 3.0 V6 holding off an Audi S8 Quattro off road at times, Come on do me a favour!!!!! German always spanks french
S8 would undoubtedly tramp the XM on the hard stuff but on the rough it wouldnt even see which way the Citroen went with the suspension on them things.

It's a top film, with a super chase. I wonder what made him choose a 450SEL 6.9? Not that I'm complaining, but it's an usually rare choice, which must have been fun!
I remember watching an interview with one of the cast, who stated that Frankheimer didn't want to see any brake lights during the chase :D :thumb:

I read somewhere that Luc Besson used w124 500e's as camera cars during the making of this film.

With reference to this, I've heard it too, somewhere. I'm pretty there was an extra on the DVD which mentioned it, and I certainly remember seeing some "behinds the scene footage" of a boot-less 500E rigged up to tow a Peugeot and M5.
The Wikipedia entry also confirms it:
"The Frankenheimer DVD commentary indicates that the cars were towed through the streets of France at high speed, not simulated, by a Mercedes Benz 500E."

Darren

I have this film on DVD, the copy I have comes with an extra "Making of" type DVD where the director explains (and shows) the two French Touring car drivers (whos names escape me right now) being given instructions to drive the cars through Paris.

They had obtained the permission of the Mayor of Paris to close a section of the city for a day of filming and have speed restrictions lifted.

The two drivers were instructed to to Drive at "No less than 100mph" - "and I don't want to see any brake lights".

The close up shots of the actors driving were produced by using RHD drive cars with a dummy LHD steering wheel, The stunt driver wore a "blue suit" so he could be edited out of the shots a little later.

The look of fear on De Niro's face when He was "driving" the Peugeot is genuine - He said the driver scared the crap out of him and he was trying his hardest to look in control and composed.

Personally I like the S8, I like the opening chase through the streets of Paris, there is some awesome car control with very nicely controlled 4 wheel power slides.

Great film, I also have it on DVD.

Filmed using a 450 SEL 6.9, some say!

[YOUTUBE]0DSyEarRAKo[/YOUTUBE]

The night before we set off on the 2004 Gumball Rally, they played this film as the next day the organisers wanted all 110 cars to follow this exact route (in rush hour).

You can probably imagine the chaos that ensued... We had to adapt our driving style which some of the Parisiens were not impressed by ;)

The Arc de Triumphe is entertaining at the best of times.

I worked for a company in the late 70's that Armoured those 6.9's. My job was to pick the standard new car from MB in Austria then deliver them to the clients after we had changed them, a great car to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom