Water dripping from kitchen ceiling...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GeeJayW

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S205 C250d AMG Line Premium Plus
Turned out to be something that was done when the house was built back in the seventies. Whoever installed the rising main and hot water return for the kitchen, chose to hold the pipes in place with a couple of nails! So over the last forty odd years the pipes have been chafing against nails. Thank goodness it went when it did and we were home at the time.

Had to pull up the floor in the back bedroom, drain the system down, go and get some pipe and fittings etc.

Not quite the afternoon I had in mind.

Turned out to be something that was done when the house was built back in the seventies. Whoever installed the rising main and hot water return for the kitchen, chose to hold the pipes in place with a couple of nails! So over the last forty odd years the pipes have been chafing against nails. Thank goodness it went when it did and we were home at the time.

Had to pull up the floor in the back bedroom, drain the system down, go and get some pipe and fittings etc.

Not quite the afternoon I had in mind.
But a very productive one, a dry house now , at least it wasn't the central heating system

But a very productive one, a dry house now , at least it wasn't the central heating system
Yep, that was my initial concern as I know the heating manifolds are near where the water was coming from, though the water was clean and didn't smell like heating water. So that was the first bit of floor to come up. A look around under the floor with a torch revealed the source, so another area had to come up.

The biggest pain is we fitted new laminate flooring in the room in 2017 and it's nearly impossible to get it up without damaging it. So rather more work to do than I'd like, but C'est la vie!

Sorry to hear that.

We hired a Dutch plumber to install a cold water supply to the loo in a bathroom renovation ... I saw him "secure" a long run of copper pipe which was chased into the wall and was to be tiled over, with ...... a couple of nails. He was dumbfounded when I said that wasn't good enough, and reluctantly put in plastic clips. As the missus said ... what other short cuts has he taken? Fingers crossed.

Yep, that was my initial concern as I know the heating manifolds are near where the water was coming from, though the water was clean and didn't smell like heating water. So that was the first bit of floor to come up. A look around under the floor with a torch revealed the source, so another area had to come up.

The biggest pain is we fitted new laminate flooring in the room in 2017 and it's nearly impossible to get it up without damaging it. So rather more work to do than I'd like, but C'est la vie!

You should be able to claim on your insurance for the damage to the floor, but not for repairing the pipework, iirc.

You should be able to claim on your insurance for the damage to the floor, but not for repairing the pipework, iirc.
Thanks. We may get the insurers involved. It's only a small room and I think we may still have a pack of laminate left over. So hopefully not too many pieces are lost. The replacement cost of the chipboard flooring isn't worth claiming for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom