Water Heating in Summer ? UK.

• Thread starter Deleted member 126251
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 126251

We have moved into a property off the gas grid and so we use an oil fired boiler for our heating and hot water in winter.

I recently realised that the geyser also has an electric immersion heater and the switch looks well used (I assume the previous owners switched it on and off as they needed it).

I have two questions.
1) Is electricity more economical than oil to make hot water in summer (I can set the boiler for hot water only) ?
2) Where could could I wire a timer switch to control the times the immersion heater is active.

Thanks......

We're in a similar situation and I figured that it's cheaper to heat the water by burning oil rather than using peak electricity. Now, if you have off peak electricity available, that could be cheaper.
If you want a time switch on the immersion, you need one correctly rated and you'd be better to get a qualified electrician to come and fit it. Please don't take chances with electricity.

Heating oil is approx. 1/3 to 1/2 the price of electricity depending on the efficiency of your boiler.

If you want to work out the KW price of oil multiply the cost per litre by 10* and divide by the boiler efficiency.

* If you know the calorific value more accurately use that figure but it will be close to 10 KW per litre.

You could switch your meter to economy 7 and have night time saving from 00:30 to 07:30 ish, we've been on this metering ever since we moved into the house. Even works with a smart meter. The other option would be to switch to gas tanks, I have no idea of costings.

Thanks for the responses - will do the calculation, add the timer if I get the lower tariff otherwise will probably stick to oil.

I only have oil, I have the gauge thingy in the kitchen which shows how much I have in my tank.
In the winter you see the gauge move every few weeks due to usage, in summer for heating the water only I never see it move.
I never use the electric immersion.

Air source heat pump with solar thermal is what you need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom