Water in boot 07 W211

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by mercmancdi, Sep 15, 2018.

1. mercmancdi

mercmancdi Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    mercedes E320 cdi sport
    car has been sitting about for few mths and the boot was damp , about 3 was ago I dried it out and aired it
    And it’s been outside sitting since , but I now see water in boot , the think it’s drivers side .
    Where would you start checking , I am thinking taillight , but if anyone else has had this problem I would like to here what they found and how they resolved it.
    It’s a 2007 E 320 W211. The first of the pointy front

2. KillerHERTZ

KillerHERTZ Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    Check the actual seal around the lid, then the rear tail lights.

Remove all the boot trim, if its dry on the walls, get a hose and soak the back part of the car. Then look for water inside afterwards.

mercmancdi likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    mercmancdi

Car:
    mercedes E320 cdi sport
    Thanks that’s the way I will go.

4. markjay

markjay MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C180 Executive SE 2013 Automatic / COMAND NTG4.7 and Morel speakers fitted by www.comand.co.uk
    While it's tempting to blame the boot seal... on my Kia the boot was wet, and the water were coming in from the base of the roof antenna.

Other possible sources are blocked water drainage ducts, or the rear window seal, or the round rubber plugs at the bottom if the boot (not car specific).

Good luck.

mercmancdi likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    mercmancdi

Car:
    mercedes E320 cdi sport
    Water track down the boot runs out at the tail light , at this point the seal was broke and I could actually
    Have pushed my finger through the gap into the boot at the bottom corner of the light.
    I have put a seal of mastic round it
    on a trial for now to check it cures it.

Attached Files:

markjay likes this.
  6. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    If it’s a saloon there are plastic trims each side of the scuttle, these can leak I think AMGeed on here had his replaced

mercmancdi likes this.
  7. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    Yep, I bought 2 new ones with fitting clips. Can't remember exactly, but they cost less than £40.

Have a check under the two removable plastic inserts either side and at the bottom of the rear screen. Loads of muck collects in there and the n/s one covers the GPS antenna lead that goes up to the roof. The cable passes into the boot and there is the possibility of water entry. Check by putting a container in the boot and pouring water over those areas with the clips removed. They just clip in place.

Another suspect area are the rear light assembly seals. Remove the carpetting inside the boot that covers them and spray the lens with water, Then check if any has leaked past the lens seals.

mercmancdi and merc85 like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    mercmancdi

Car:
    mercedes E320 cdi sport
    Yes lots of dust at the joints at bottom of rear screen , Nerer got a chance to see how to remove but I assume you mean they are just the plastic stud type clips that hold them in.

9. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2004 W211 E55K ///AMG
    The side pieces are held in with a 2 piece plastic insert. The two along the top of the boot just swivel and unclip themselves.
    Its dark now, but I'll take a photo tomorrow, if I remember, to show how they remove.

mercmancdi likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    mercmancdi

Car:
    mercedes E320 cdi sport
    Thanks they look a bit fiddly to change but maybe not as bad as it looks.
    In the meantime I have used good mastic anywhere I think might be the problem so will give it a day or so they spray to see if it has cured it.
    The bottom of the plastic down drives side was dozed and broke through.

11. OP
    OP
    mercmancdi

Car:
    mercedes E320 cdi sport
    Ok sealed what I thought was everything , brought car out and discovered the water is built up in the boot lid lining then it must leak
    Into the boot from here , am I right in thinking it’s leaking at breaklight on boot lid , or at chrome trim above number plate
    Or is there anywhere else the water could get into boot lid .