Water in boot around battery !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jokuk

Car
E Class 350D 2010 (W212/207) Convertible
While investigating zero satellites causes, I removed the rear side panel and battery cover (W220) to check cables and noticed a lot of water in the battery well, around 100mm deep. I bailed it all out and dried the area. Reading other posts it could be a boot seal, light cluster seal or other causes. Any reason why I shouldn't drill a small hole in the floor to let it self drain in future, as I doubt I will find the cause ?

Thanks

While investigating zero satellites causes, I removed the rear side panel and battery cover (W220) to check cables and noticed a lot of water in the battery well, around 100mm deep. I bailed it all out and dried the area. Reading other posts it could be a boot seal, light cluster seal or other causes. Any reason why I shouldn't drill a small hole in the floor to let it self drain in future, as I doubt I will find the cause ?

Thanks

Hello Jokuk,

The most likely cause would be the o/s/r lamp weather seal; this is the most common issue. It’s highly unlikely that the boot seal would be causing this issue, otherwise, the boot floor would also be getting wet/damp. The worst-case scenario, and I have seen this, is if the o/s/r quarter panel has ever been replaced or damaged and the wheel arch section has not been sealed/fused to the inner quarter panel and the inner wheel arch. This one is relatively easy to test/check by getting someone to spray a hosepipe under and around the inner wheel arch whilst you observe if any water is entering in to the boot behind the battery. The final check you could do would be to look at the plastic trims inside the boot opening aperture where the hinges are, there are a couple of small plastic grommets that hold this trim in place.

Regards,

[FONT=&quot]Dash1[/FONT]

Thanks Dash1 appreciated, I will try the lamp seal first before drilling any drainage holes then.......

John

Solved

Finally had a chance to have a proper look after bailing the battery well out three times in the last few weeks, a hose test revealed the water was leaking through the holes that retain plastic clips that hold the black trim in place at the side of the boot immediately under the hinges and springs ( will try and post a pic later when I work out how to attach one) just put a bad of sealant in there until I get the time to strip it off and have a proper look

Old post i know....... but does anyone know if the OP had any luck with this solution ????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom