Water in boot lid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComfortKing

Car
W210 Saloon E300TD
So I removed the rear light clusters from the boot lid, to reveal:
attachment.php

attachment.php

The water leaking in through mostly the top screw hole but also the bottom one. I have put a mix of petroleum jelly and WD40 around the screws to prevent the water from getting in.
It was also only leaking in through the O/S but when the boot was opened it would pour from the N/S. I have discovered that the water was running across from one side to the other INSIDE the boot lid, there is a hole which had a rubber bung in it on the N/S that I have now removed to stop the water building up. This is what has caused corrosion around the boot lock and lower sill of the boot lid.
Given that there is clight corrosion on the bottom of the doors I would suspect that the reason for this is the same, not taking into account where the water flows around and through the vehicle.

You'd think that a "top class" automaker would think of things like this... :fail

As you can see from the second image the water and crap builds up in the slight gap that runs down the length of the unit. I would fill it up with glue to prevent this however I am getting new LED units so won't bother. If the new LED units are of the same poor design then I will edit them accordingly.

And yes I am aware that someone has hack-jobed the clusters.. probably a poor attempt to stop the water building up in the lights.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom