Water in boot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy Fletcher

Car
E250 CDI SPORT
Good evening

I have a 2010 E Class saloon

After the recent snowfall I have noticed that the boot space where the spare wheel sits is approx 10mm deep of water.

The boot mats and spare wheel cover appear to be dry and I can't see any damage to the boot lid seal

Does anyone have any idea what cause this?

I have only owned the car for 7 weeks so it is booked back in with the dealer on Tuesday.

Thanks

There are other ways water may make its way into the boot. There are breather flaps behind the rear bumper where it stretches round the side of the rear wing and rubber seals round the rear light cluster units. Not wishing to alarm you but it may be an indication of previous rear body damage or simply poor waterproofing of the standard setup. Do not ignore it because there there a quite few expensive electronic units at the side of the boot unit behind the trim. Water damage there could prove very expensive!

There are other ways water may make its way into the boot. There are breather flaps behind the rear bumper where it stretches round the side of the rear wing and rubber seals round the rear light cluster units. Not wishing to alarm you but it may be an indication of previous rear body damage or simply poor waterproofing of the standard setup. Do not ignore it because there there a quite few expensive electronic units at the side of the boot unit behind the trim. Water damage there could prove very expensive!
The rear bumper was resprayed before before I brought the car. Could a poorly fitted number cause this?

Might depend on why the bumper was resprayed/ removed in the first place ? Anything that disturbs seals at the rear end might be the cause. Might have had a rear light cluster clumsily replaced after a minor collision etc A bigger bump might have sprung a seam- almost impossible to say without an inspection- you would need to remove the inner boot lining to see better.

The bumper was resprayed as a condition of sale due to there being scratches and a few minor dents where suitcases/pushchairs have been loaded and removed from the boot. I'm not certain that the bumper was removed for spraying but as the carpet and the spare wheel cover are both dry it makes sense that the water is coming from somewhere else.

Please forgive me as I am not very technically minded but is the inner boot lining the cover above the spare wheel?

I was meaning the all the panels lining the inside of the boot. They are held in with a variety of plastic clips/plugs and not meant to be routinely removed- unlike the cover over the spare wheel.
LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT COVERING MERCEDES E-KLASSE [Car] [CHASSIS] (EUROPA)

If the bumper was refinished to hide scratches then it was probably done in situ- I assume this was at your request ?

It was. They also resprayed a door as well.

I will let the garage have a look on Tuesday but will mention to them what you have said.

Thank you for your help on this. Lets hope the garage sorts the issue. Wish me luck!

I had a similar thing with a second hand Subaru Impreza. I had to slowly pour water from the roof to see the flow pattern. It went into the drainage gully but there was a loose wire from a poorly fitted aftermarket parking sensors which hung over the drainage gully. The water would be partially intercepted by the wire and follow it to the lowest point of the wire, from where it dropped to the spare wheel well. Over time, the water would build up and leave a big well of water there. It puzzled me for ages trying to figure out how come so much water was building up there while nothing was leaking nor wet.

check the carpet mat on the boot lid itself when the boot opens , either side for wet. also in the boot under the spare wheel is a rubber grommet, pull it out for now till you get this sorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom