Water in n/s footwell S211 2003

Discussion in 'Parts, Maintenance & Servicing' started by Nellie Spence, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Nellie Spence

Nellie Spence New Member

Car:
    E220 CDI Avantgarde - C Coupe 220 cdi
    Hi all, found water in the passenger side foot well car.jpg this weekend after numerous malfunction messages. Stripped out to find water coming in via the square hole in the centre of the photo. Any ideas how water would get to this point?

2. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    There will be a faulty weld i reckon, Inner wing to Bulk head.

Take wipers off take up the Plastic Scuttle There is a Screw that holds a Plastic sqaure piece of trim with felt along its edges no bigger than a tictac box lol, this covers the join between Bulk head and inner wing at the bottom of the windscreen. The whole is literlly a pin ***** in size, A glob of seam sealer is all that is required.

I had this on my 1st 211.

Prior to the above id check the Sunroof drains to A pillar
    Leaves under the Aux battery
    The centre Water drain pipe "scuttle" grille that exits the left wing under/behind the Aux battery
    Windscreen seal itself

In the end i totally removed the left outta wing then Poored a Watering can over this area Bottom of the screen and you could see it trickle down the Base of the A piller within the car. As you know there are various Ecu's and wiring behind there the foam of the carpet soaks most of it up.

Let me know how you get on.

Nellie Spence likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Nellie Spence

Nellie Spence New Member

Car:
    I'll have a look and let you know how I get on. As you say i've done the usual battery well for leaves, inner arch and wash bottle out but no joy. Thanks again.

merc85 likes this.
  4. Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W215 CL500, W168 A-140.
    Is the pollen filter blocked?
    That can often then allow water to overflow into the footwell.

5. OP
    OP
    Nellie Spence

Nellie Spence New Member

Car:
    I'm not sure I follow your thinking!

6. OP
    OP
    Nellie Spence

Nellie Spence New Member

Car:
    Ok so stripped out the plastic scuttle, tic-tac box size plastic piece. Removed battery/washer bottle/inner arch the lot. Nothing I can see that would let water in. Draining and all water ways clear as a whistle. I have though found this.....

car4.jpg

it's above the air intake but would this cause water to build up in the inner wing? The internal foot well foam against the bulkhead is as dry as a bone. So i don't think that it's simply spilling over the top.

7. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    How about the foam backing to the carpet itself? Mine was drenched. Also if you take the bottom of the glove box off you can reach up against the "A pillar wall" mine was damp,i could see the water dripping down there after id poured a watering can full over the nsf corner of the windscreen.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  8. OP
    OP
    Nellie Spence

Nellie Spence New Member

Car:
    Only damp at the bottom in the well. When I had the carpets, sound proofing etc stripped out, the first time I went up a steep hill, water was literally pouring out of the square hole. Just can't see how water is getting into and holding in that channel.

Is it simply a case of prising the windscreen up and pushing the seal back in or a job for the professionals ?

merc85 likes this.
  9. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    is certainly a strange one, Mine wasn't flooded within that hole, the A pillar leak above is the only way i can see water getting there in there :/

The windscreen is bonded in Nellie Leave it for the windscreen people would be what id do.

It's not certainly what you would expect from Merc is it.

Nellie Spence likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Nellie Spence

Nellie Spence New Member

Car:
    Oh well, get the screen done and monitor the water ingress I guess, Summer's coming!

merc85 likes this.