Water in n/s footwell S211 2003

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nellie Spence

Car
E220 CDI Avantgarde - C Coupe 220 cdi
Hi all, found water in the passenger side foot wellcar.jpg this weekend after numerous malfunction messages. Stripped out to find water coming in via the square hole in the centre of the photo. Any ideas how water would get to this point?

There will be a faulty weld i reckon, Inner wing to Bulk head.

Take wipers off take up the Plastic Scuttle There is a Screw that holds a Plastic sqaure piece of trim with felt along its edges no bigger than a tictac box lol, this covers the join between Bulk head and inner wing at the bottom of the windscreen. The whole is literlly a pin ***** in size, A glob of seam sealer is all that is required.

I had this on my 1st 211.

Prior to the above id check the Sunroof drains to A pillar
Leaves under the Aux battery
The centre Water drain pipe "scuttle" grille that exits the left wing under/behind the Aux battery
Windscreen seal itself

In the end i totally removed the left outta wing then Poored a Watering can over this area Bottom of the screen and you could see it trickle down the Base of the A piller within the car. As you know there are various Ecu's and wiring behind there the foam of the carpet soaks most of it up.

Let me know how you get on.

I'll have a look and let you know how I get on. As you say i've done the usual battery well for leaves, inner arch and wash bottle out but no joy. Thanks again.

Is the pollen filter blocked?
That can often then allow water to overflow into the footwell.

Ok so stripped out the plastic scuttle, tic-tac box size plastic piece. Removed battery/washer bottle/inner arch the lot. Nothing I can see that would let water in. Draining and all water ways clear as a whistle. I have though found this.....

car4.jpg

it's above the air intake but would this cause water to build up in the inner wing? The internal foot well foam against the bulkhead is as dry as a bone. So i don't think that it's simply spilling over the top.

How about the foam backing to the carpet itself? Mine was drenched. Also if you take the bottom of the glove box off you can reach up against the "A pillar wall" mine was damp,i could see the water dripping down there after id poured a watering can full over the nsf corner of the windscreen.

Last edited:
Only damp at the bottom in the well. When I had the carpets, sound proofing etc stripped out, the first time I went up a steep hill, water was literally pouring out of the square hole. Just can't see how water is getting into and holding in that channel.

Is it simply a case of prising the windscreen up and pushing the seal back in or a job for the professionals ?

is certainly a strange one, Mine wasn't flooded within that hole, the A pillar leak above is the only way i can see water getting there in there :/

The windscreen is bonded in Nellie Leave it for the windscreen people would be what id do.

It's not certainly what you would expect from Merc is it.

Oh well, get the screen done and monitor the water ingress I guess, Summer's coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom