water leak in drivers footwell missing rubber pieces i think??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

muckymarshall

Car
Mercedes c270 cdi elegance
hello my car is a 2005 c270 cdi elegance.

i have some water leaking into driver footwell, i have had a look at drains (including under fuse box) and they are fine. The grommet for the bonnet release cable looks a bit cracky but i am wondering if my problem is the missing piece of rubber on the windscreen on the drivers side?
driver sides windscreen rubber missing.jpg
the piece on the passenger side looks like this
passenger side windscreen rubber.jpg
whats its name and where can i get one?
if it is my grommet on the bonnet release cable what kind of price is that to replace?

many thanks

From the parts catalogue it only lists ones so dont think its supposed to have one... Normally these leak due to drains being clogged full of leaves..

+ 1^,have you removed the front plastic scuttle in front of the screen? that's where you
will find blockages.

many thanks for your replies

i have cleaned out all the drains also the one under the fuse box, the reason i thought it was a missing piece is because when i poured water onto the screen the water spilled into the left of the drain and dripped down over the fuse box and thus onto the grommet for the bonnet release cable. it seemed if there was a rubber there it would deflect the water into the appropriate drain.
So if there is not an extra rubber then the culprit could be the grommet - is this a bugger to change? should i get a long pipe and cover it in silicone or does it mean taking it to a garage and getting a new cable fitted?

again thanks for your help

Hi,
New to the forum and had the same today, an inch of water in the drivers side.
Did you take out the fuse box to clear the drain?
The one in the middle and passenger side where easy to clear as the drain tubes are visible.
Regards
Paul

I had the issue once with my old C220 W203. Problem was the bonnet release cable. Open the bonnet and lift of the cover of the fuse box in the engine bay on the drivers side. You will see where the bonnet release cable enters the body of the car and there is a rubber seal on the entrance. That seal breaks down over time and water runs down that cable and floods the footwell,so either put a new rubber seal or seal it with silicone which is what I did and never had that problem again. My cousin had the same issue on his W203 so I guess it's a common fault

Many thanks for the quick reply.
I'll check the bonnet cable seal tomorrow, thanks for the tip!
Regards
Paul

Are you using water, check expansion tank level, have you checked the heater matrix?

If the carpet behind the pedals is wet it's usually coming in via the bulk head.

If not it is likely to be the door seal or something like that.

Just something else to check mate.
Hope you get it sorted:)

Update on this.
Had both wheel arch liners to clear the drains, but as mentioned above it would seem that there is moisture around the bonnet grommet at the rear of the fuse box.

How do you remove the fuse box to get at the seal?
Kind regards
Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom