Water Leak in the boot Lid E200

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ben947

Car
E220
E220 Avangarde 2007: i found water in the boot lid and in the tyre bay, but the boot itself is dry, every time it rains.

the car visited MB Garage 3 times for the same problem, they changed the breaklights, then on the second visit: the rear window and on the third visit (took the car for whole week), they changed the seal around the boot. after all that, the water is still leaking.

does anyone know of this problem?? or how i can sort it out?
where does MB stands in all this??
thanks
Ben

Last edited:
i got similar problem on my e220 estate: water getting into battery compartment , but boot is dry itself. any one know how it's getting in there?

same in my 220 ce, just at the end of the boot lid where the numberplate is there is when opening boot water dripping out of the opholstery. haven't found the source yet so am looking forward to a solution. regards maarten

I have exactly the same problem, 2007 e220, hope we found a solution soon.

same in my 220 ce, just at the end of the boot lid where the numberplate is there is when opening boot water dripping out of the opholstery. haven't found the source yet so am looking forward to a solution. regards maarten

Hi, new here myself and just bought a 2006 E320 with this problem. While searching for a solution I came across this thread from another forum W211 with water in boot lid - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

I hope it's ok to post in here

could it be leaking where the 3 pointed star fix's to the lid?

Had leaky boot problem on my SL500 and after 3 attempts to fix it with all the seals now replaced it seems to holding up (fingers crossed). Not the sort of thing you expect with these kind of cars.

Did you check if there are drains and if they are blocked?

If you have drains, blow them out with an air line:)

[FIX]
MBCLUB

I've had this on a couple of my Mercs.

The several scenario fixes:

1-Make sure the tail lights are screwed tight & have the foam gasket in tact and in good condition.

2- Make sure that the boot's plastic gutter drip trays have the original Mercedes plastic pop reverts in tightly and they are not damaged.

3- The DREADED 3rd brake light- The double sided foam sticky gasket lasts around 10 years and merc don't make this part- only the whole 3rd break light. BUT there is a way around it.
Take the 3rd light out of the socket. Clean up all the foam sticky residue, tape up the front of the light with masking tape, masking tape around the boot lid hole, apply coloured or clear bathroom silicone. Place break light in and tighten from behind.

4- Make sure all seals have no cuts or tears

5- On pre-face-lift CLK'S & SL's, they have a large boot lid number plate tray, take this off the boot lid. Make sure the plastic pop reverts are in good condition. When reapplying the boot lid tray onto the boot lid, put drops of clear silicone on the holes where the plastic pop reverts go. Put a line if silicone around the whole area where the number plate tray goes.

6- Make sure the boot lid closes snug & tight against the seal. This will mean closing the boot with you inside and look for any beams of daylight. If so you need to twist the small circle rubber bumpers on the boot lid which line the boot up.
If this does not work, you will need to undo the bolts on the boot brackets and gently shift it left, right, back or forward to get a better closure seal.

7- If this still doesnt work, strip the inside carpets out, get in the closed boot with a decent torch. Get a friend to put a hose pipe in one area at a time, working right to left etc.

Hope this helps people-
Let me know if this solves your problem.

Remove the panel that the number plate sits on , buy black silicone etc and put a bead on top of the rubber seal and around the 6 holes where the poppers sit . clean and dry everything first . no more water spewing in when you open the boot and no more mouldy carpets.

Maarten - found your post when looking for help. I have exactly the same problem as you on my 1996 E220 coupe. Did you manage to fix yours? Cheers, Jude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom