Water pouring out of door vents

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cmonyoureds

Car
GLA 35. X4 M40i
I’ve got a 2018 C63 coupe, due to the recent weather I’ve noticed that after it’s been raining and the car is parked in my driveway, when I open the drivers door there is a lot of water comes out the vents at the bottom of the door. I know it’s better coming out of the vents rather than being stagnant at the bottom of the door, but is it normal for that amount of water to get in there in the first place? Window seals seem fine to me.

If its still under warranty, return it.
That shouldn't be happening with a so called "prestige"brand:confused:.

If its still under warranty, return it.
That shouldn't be happening with a so called "prestige"brand:confused:.
Still under manufacturers warranty until 31st May, so I think you’re right I’m better getting it checked out. With plenty more rain on the way I will take a video of the water pouring out the vents and email it to the dealership, that way the evidence will be right there in front of them.

The video is a good move, especially date stamped so within warranty expiry date.

If left, the door will just rust from the inside, let alone what could happen to the door electrics o_O

The video is a good move, especially date stamped so within warranty expiry date.

If left, the door will just rust from the inside, let alone what could happen to the door electrics o_O
Aye that’s what I thought. I also have a 2 year warranty from the date I bought the vehicle ( 5 weeks ago ) but that warranty may not be as extensive as the manufacturers warranty? so the sooner I report it the better. I will take a video in the next day or so as there is a lot more rain on the way!

Nothing out of the norm every cars door on the car will get water ingress ,,thats the reason they have drain holes .You wont stop water getting in to the door past minute gaps to drain out the bottom. Never had a car that this did not happen on .

Still under manufacturers warranty until 31st May, so I think you’re right I’m better getting it checked out. With plenty more rain on the way I will take a video of the water pouring out the vents and email it to the dealership, that way the evidence will be right there in front of them.
Hi , I can understand that a small amount of water may be caught in the door but pouring out would cause me concern.The drain holes in car bodywork from my experience are for natural air ventilation.

Have you checked all drain point in the car to make sure you have no blockages.My car has a pan roof and the drain points require cleaning on a monthly basis due to where I park the car.

Has the car recently had a new windscreen fitted ?

The headlights on my car use to mist up when I parked the car down hill on my drive but when parked uphill no issues !

The smallest opening will allow water ingress.

Have you considered using a smoke device in your car to see if any smoke escapes ?

Just a thought but but as you know the problem does need to the sorted out.

Good luck

Air ventelation they are not . Water drain holes they are . If water is building up to much,, then the drain holes are blocked up with underseal that mercedes spray in to the bottom half of the door cavity .Just use a small cocktail stick and poke it in to the hole and clear it out .And if your not happy tell the salesman to get it fixed .

Nothing out of the norm every cars door on the car will get water ingress ,,thats the reason they have drain holes .You wont stop water getting in to the door past minute gaps to drain out the bottom. Never had a car that this did not happen on .
I’ve had other cars and none have let out this amount of water from the drain holes, so I think there is more water getting in there than there should be.

Air ventelation they are not . Water drain holes they are . If water is building up to much,, then the drain holes are blocked up with underseal that mercedes spray in to the bottom half of the door cavity .Just use a small cocktail stick and poke it in to the hole and clear it out .And if your not happy tell the salesman to get it fixed .
Hi ,

Mercedes quality tumbled ( RUST) when they owned Chrysler and do you feel that the designers would build in water traps into modern Mercedes cars.

In theory Mercedes guarantee the car from rust forming internally for 30 years.

As you stated your cars have suffered from the OP problem but it does not mean he should have to put up with the problem.

Natural air movement helps to reduce condensation in all metal structures.

Lets us agree to disagree on what the holes in the door are really required.

I don’t think there are any blockages. I know there should be a little bit water comes out of the drain holes when I open the door but there seems to be an excessive amount of water getting in for my liking. I will park the car nose in, then erse in, then run a hose for a few mins each time to see if both doors are letting in an equal amount of water.

I don’t think there are any blockages. I know there should be a little bit water comes out of the drain holes when I open the door but there seems to be an excessive amount of water getting in for my liking. I will park the car nose in, then erse in, then run a hose for a few mins each time to see if both doors are letting in an equal amount of water.
Hi , has your car a full MB service history.

If so as part of the service the requires inspection of the underneath of the car.

Hi , has your car a full MB service history.

If so as part of the service the requires inspection of the underneath of the car.
It does have a full MBSH. I will be doing a few tests in the coming days then I will be contacting the dealership with my findings. I also noticed that when I drive it in the rain the amg threshold plate and surrounding internal bodywork gets dirty so something not quite right.

I had a problem with a large amount of water coming out of one of my rear doors. It was trapped by the thick rubber seal that goes around the door lots of clearing channels to no avail. The water collected in the space between the door and the inner frame resulting with maybe a mug full of trapped water that would be released when the door was opened. The water did wet the inner sill and the silver kick plates but fortunately did not wet the carpet or footwell. My problem started when warranty had run out so stripped the door card off and removed the inner plastic door lining. It looks like the dealer had damaged the sealing strip between the plastic door lining and the metalwork when it was removed to replace a faulty LED door handle. Could not get a replacement gasket seal without getting the full plastic lining which is expensive. My solution was to screw the lining back and seal with silicone around the edge. A year on all is good.
The window seal keep a lot of the water out of the door but the system is designed to allow water to pass through the inside of the door and drain through the bottom. You will feed resistance if you try cleaning the drain holes with curtain wire or stiff wire, the resistance is caused by large high density polystyrene blocks that sit at the base of the door to act as impact absorbers the electrics are all situated between the door card and are mounted high on the plastic lining in the dry so should be safe.
Hope this helps as wet car insides are not nice.
Farmerboy

I had a problem with a large amount of water coming out of one of my rear doors. It was trapped by the thick rubber seal that goes around the door lots of clearing channels to no avail. The water collected in the space between the door and the inner frame resulting with maybe a mug full of trapped water that would be released when the door was opened. The water did wet the inner sill and the silver kick plates but fortunately did not wet the carpet or footwell. My problem started when warranty had run out so stripped the door card off and removed the inner plastic door lining. It looks like the dealer had damaged the sealing strip between the plastic door lining and the metalwork when it was removed to replace a faulty LED door handle. Could not get a replacement gasket seal without getting the full plastic lining which is expensive. My solution was to screw the lining back and seal with silicone around the edge. A year on all is good.
The window seal keep a lot of the water out of the door but the system is designed to allow water to pass through the inside of the door and drain through the bottom. You will feed resistance if you try cleaning the drain holes with curtain wire or stiff wire, the resistance is caused by large high density polystyrene blocks that sit at the base of the door to act as impact absorbers the electrics are all situated between the door card and are mounted high on the plastic lining in the dry so should be safe.
Hope this helps as wet car insides are not nice.
Farmerboy
That sound like what I’m experiencing.

If your car is still under warranty get it back for MB to fix it. When I had my problem I looked into what needed to be done when replacing the LED in the door handle. MB have a fix for stripped threads on the plastic lining card bolts. I suspect that the door card and lining may have come off to fix the LED and either the liner gasket is deformed or if the retaining bolts are stripped that they are not holding the card right enough to keep water on its correct course.
Hope you get it fixed.
Farmerboy

And as for inside the car door,, i bet half of you guiys have never seen inside one to understand ,,If water is not exiting the door through the drain holes, then it wont take long to fill up the door cavity .Take it in to mb tell them the story

Anybody know where the door drain holes on the 2012 ML250 please? ... can't see them. Looked underneath ... just a door rubber

As mentioned above, this type of door filling during raining, holding on to water any emptying when the door is opened is due to the door seal covering the water drain holes in the bottom of the door.
This has been a major problem on some of the VAG cars.

Some door seal strips have holes, indentations or other purposeful features as part of design that align with the door drain holes, making the seal 'imperfect' at the contact point with the door drain holes, and thereby allowing the water to drain.
Check on your door seals to see if there are any such features that should be lining up with the drain holes in the bottom of the door; is it possible the door seal is slightly out of position?

Failing that, enter your VIN on 7zap, or call Mercedes, and see if replacement/upgraded door seals are now listed on the electronic parts catalogue, which would indicate this is a known problem, and revised door seals might be the fix (not necessarily that Merc would volunteer themselves to provide this fix FoC if it exists).

Get down on your back and look up to the bottom of the door ,you will see the drain holes .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom