Water pump leak after replacing coolant thermostat

• Thread starter Deleted member 173561
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 173561

Hi, some advice please.
I recently replaced my C class W204 coolant thermostat after getting a P0128 code. First drive after change, got a coolant leak from the water pump. Water pump was not leaking before at all (no coolant low warnings etc) so presume changing thermostat has somehow caused water pump to leak? Anyone had this issue or could explain if they are related at all. Thanks

Are you sure that coolant is coming out of the pump for sure ? use you camera and take a picture .Coolant can fall in one place and fall off another part making it look like the pumps leaking

Are you sure that coolant is coming out of the pump for sure ? use you camera and take a picture .Coolant can fall in one place and fall off another part making it look like the pumps leaking
Hi Optimusprime - as far as I can tell it is coming from the pump - possibly the gasket seal.. just don't understand why as no issues with leaks from this area prior to changing the coolant thermostat. Curious if anyone else has experienced this ie replacing one part having an effect on the water pump itself.

Hi Optimusprime - as far as I can tell it is coming from the pump - possibly the gasket seal.. just don't understand why as no issues with leaks from this area prior to changing the coolant thermostat. Curious if anyone else has experienced this ie replacing one part having an effect on the water pump itself.
If your coolant is now reaching a higher temperature then it will also be at a higher pressure than before. This will expose any weak area, possibly your water pump gasket?

Usually advisable to change thermostat & waterpump together. Because its common for them to go at roughly the same time. Usually down to poor maintenance by an owner somewhere along the line….

See if you can torque the bolts up a little it could stop the leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom